44-40 260yrd Shots

• Last Post 05 January 2019
  • Topic Is Solved
Bryan Austin posted this 30 December 2018

This long distance shooting stuff is all new to me. I never thought I would ever be shooting anything over 100 yards. Mostly due to the fact that all my life, all I ever herd was that the 44-40 was barely a 100 yard cartridge. Well we all know that the black powder loads can touch 100 yard targets with ease and even group 30 shots inside a 4" circle as well as knock over steel javlina @ 300 meters.

I have been able to get extremely close with smokeless powders but had to go a tad over 11,000psi max.To extend that out a bit farther, both yardage and pressure wise, I worked my way up to a 260 yard, high pressure, smokeless powder load for my Marlin 1894CB

Using a healthy load of IMR4227 and a 240gr SWC cast bullet, I reached out and touched an iron weight lifting target a few times at 260 yards. After several shots I snapped a quick video. I really didn't think my phone would capture a clear enough video or I would have left it running a few more shots.

It may not be graceful, but at least I don't have to stay on the porch any more :-)

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
  • Brodie
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 30 December 2018

so cool !! .... i love the 1 second delay !! .....  i can imagine the big arc that bullet took  ...

thanks for the grins ... i shot a lot of 44-40 when i wuz a kid ... genuine old west peacemaker and even a Win. 73 ...   

oh, i can report ::   better to be a dumb lucky kid than a wise old geezer ... coffee

ken

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 30 December 2018

So cool is right!  It's so much fun popping steel, rocks, etc. at long range with such guns.  I haven't done it with a 44-40 rifle/carbine but have with 357, 44 and 45 Colt ones.  I currently have a 1873 carbine in 45 Colt that I load 200 RFs to 1200 fps.  I often shoot rocks out to 200 yards with it as the rear sight adjusts to that range.  Out to 500 yards takes a little bit of front sight up un the rear sight but it's amazing how well longer range shooting can be done.  I frequently shoot my M1873 H&R TDs (OM and carbine) out to 500+ yards with a 275 gr Rapine loaded to 1050 fps.  The M1879 rear sights have plenty of range adjustment so some marvelous fun can be had.  Pull the trigger.....bang...wait for it....wait for it.....thwack......more fun than should be allowed......

Well done Savvyjack.......

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

2coldhere posted this 30 December 2018

Have the sun at your back and have someone else shoot it while you are on a spotting scope.  You'll be able to see it most of the way to the target.  It will look so slow that you'll think you could almost catch it with a baseball glove.

Attached Files

4060may posted this 30 December 2018

I watched John Kort hit Rams at 500M with a 44-40 and Black Powder, Lever gun, Ridgway PA

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 30 December 2018

when i wuz shooting 22rf bench, i used a 20 power T20 ... my buds kept telling me i needed at least a 36 power ... but with my better depth of field i could see that little honey bee flying down to the flowers ... 

us farm boys are easily entertained ...

ken

Attached Files

He never showed 500 yard shots dadgumit! I only saw his 300 meter shots!

Attached Files

I would click the "Like" button but all I ever see is my big huge ugly face afterwords!!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
Bryan Austin posted this 02 January 2019

Did a little better today but I failed at counting. I missed one of seven for the video but shot 50 rounds respectively at 100, 200, 265 yards with a handful at the 260 yard iron/steel target.

Attached Files

Bryan Austin posted this 05 January 2019

I concluded my 265 yard shooting this morning. I was happy with the results for what it is. It basically replicated the 1866 Switzerland trials with the Winchester 66 black powder Henry loads but with using hot smokeless loads with a 240gr SWC bullets. I used a desk calendar size target that I made into a splatter target. Eventually shooting 40 rounds at it.

The mud is the result of my friend shooting a 7mm into the mud beside it...lol

I removed the splatter target and measured out the results.

Once I pulled the groups up a little, the results would have been all shots within the 1866 trials group of 1.5' x 1.5'.

VIDEO: I used a handmade holder to attach to my scope that holds my cell phone. Not great but it served it's purpose. Night quite level but......

Attached Files

Close