I never thought in a million years I would even be attempting to shoot at long distances with the 44-40. One reason is that I never had the opportunity, lacking a range long enough. Another reason is that I just didn't think I could do it...not that I can now!

John Kort already proved it could be done with Black Powder, at least out to 300 meters as he has so proven with great accuracy...at least with a scope. I am sure most everyone has seen his video from Oct 2011: Row 2, Column 7

After I got deeply involved in the history of the cartridge, it's myths and legends, so I decided to give it a shot with smokeless powders. I did well with a scope so it was time to try the open sights with both the Marlin flip up sight and the Winchester 73' Buckhorn sight.

Since I can't see where I hit unless the target moves or I stop recording and review each shot...I decided to just shoot ten shot group barrages and just see where they grouped. Sometimes, as in the last video, the flip up sight began to bump up one notch after each shot or so. Gotta keep it tight I guess.

With the Winchester 73, I could hit close enough with 6.4gr of Trail Boss traviling at a brisk 900fps (I need to chrono that load again). Video starts at the 4:22 mark: 

If you watch the whole video, please forgive me for failing to catch that I spelled warrior wrong...and just poor editing...as is with most of my forum posts.

I also decided to fill the mag tube with ten rather than one at a time as I had been doing.

I again decided to try different bullets and sizes. I figured I'd start off with ACME's 44-40 .427 that went very well. I would like to try a barrage of these later: 

Then on to ACME's 44 Magnum .431 resized to .429, not much difference but could be a tad more accurate. Don't forget this is me shooting and I am using open sights....a bit to be desired!! The flip up sight bumped up from the recoil after the forth shot I think it was. I did see some dirt splatter so I aimed a bit lower not knowing what had happened until after I watched the video. 

I also tried some 431, resized to .429 powder coated bullets as well as some 431 resized to .429 44 Magnum 240gr SWC powder coated. Both did well but those two need to be revisited. The 240gr SWC did better than expected for a 1/36 twist.

Fell free to give opinions about bullet sizes, bullet hardness, powder coating, twist rate...and even my poor marksmanship!!