44-40 vs the 30-30

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 23 April 2019
Bryan Austin posted this 21 April 2019

This should get plenty of opinions...grab some popcorn.

On a side note;

"The Winchester bore diameter is .429. All available soft points are about .424. One shooter gets finest results by swaging .424 bullets to .429 for Winchester rifles. Remington and Marlin rifles measure .424, therefore factory bullets are satisfactory in those barrels. Properly loaded, this cartridge has more knockdown powder than a .30-.30" ~ Sharpe - 1937

Although I have measured old 1920's JSP bullets to be .4255 to .426, I have measured some older dissected swaged bullets as small as .422, so I think there is some Merritt in what Sharpe says. I 100% agree with the 30-30 remark BUT only for closer distance shooting, I would prefer the 30-30 if it meant going hungry if I missed a deer with the shot at greater distances of 150 yards.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
45 2.1 posted this 21 April 2019

I think it mostly depends on how the bullet is constructed (given reasonably equal accuracy). Most of the older bullets I've sectioned have thin jackets. With a proper expanding bullet for each cartridge, I don't have any heartburn with anything said.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bryan Austin
M3 Mitch posted this 23 April 2019

I guess it depends on how comfortable you are taking the 44-40 up past levels that are safe for the old '73 Winchester.  If you are OK with that and have good loading data, it depends on if you want greater shocking power at shorter ranges, (44-40) or if you want more retained energy and a flatter trajectory (30-30).  If you are using straight cast bullets, the 44-40 bullet's flat nose shape will have greater wounding power than the 30-30, although if you load something like a 311141 flat nose in the 30-30, it should do well with a reasonably hot enough load, best to use Lyman #2 or similar for expansion as opposed to fragmentation. 

"Knockdown Power" is not really a scientific term.  I think a "M92 only" 44-40 load should be at least the equal of a 30-30 out to - something around 100 yards. 

I think good stalking and getting close, getting into a good steady position, shooting well, and shot placement would all be more important than the choice between these 2 classic rounds.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bryan Austin
Bryan Austin posted this 23 April 2019

Well said Mitch!

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 23 April 2019

Assuming cast bullets only, The 44-40 should leave a bigger hole through the lungs than the 3030.  Personally I don't think there is much difference between the two on game.  The 44 is going to throw a heavier bullet, and I would hate to have to dress and skin all the deer, antelope, bear and elk killed by the cartridge.  Nor, would I like to do the same with all the game taken with the 3030.  Yeah, I know they don't measure up to modern cartridges and the "shock " theory is and has always been somethin for gun writers to banter around and earn their bread with.  I knew a man who killed a bull buffalo with a 25-20 Winchester.  Where you hit them makes more difference than all the theories is the world.  Like the Warden said:  "They kill elk up here all the time with a 22rf."

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Close