44 load data for 220 grain lead hp

• Last Post 29 October 2019
2frogs posted this 24 October 2019

Just got some 220 grain cast HP bulles but find no data for that weight bullet..Any suggestions

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
M3 Mitch posted this 24 October 2019

I think the Lyman handbook has data for a 200 or 210 grain bullet, and data for a 240 grain, you could probably interpolate between these.  Are you looking for a full magnum power load or something lighter?

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 24 October 2019

something for hunting I guess..

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 24 October 2019

.. also consider that there will be more difference in .... pressures and velocities ..... from bullet shape and seating depth ..... than 20 grains of weight in a 44 cal bullet.

thus :: always start a little safe and work up if needed.

the good thing about 44 cal bullets, at least for white-tails .... they don't have to be anywhere near max pressure to do the job ...

ken

...and yes, i understand the attraction of max loads ... i used to load my 44 mag rifle up to as much as my teeth could stand ...  ( g ) ...

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Dale53 posted this 27 October 2019

I would like to make a plea, that all of us, please, use the full cartridge name when asking for loads. This is not a SLAM, but a plea. There is quite a difference between .44 Special and .44 Magnum load data. We just want to keep ALL of us safe.

Now, to address the O.P. question. I have used both .44 Specials and .44 Magnums in the field a good bit. If the .44 H.P. cast bullet in question is simply the typical 240-250 gr. SWC that has been hollow pointed, it would be quite safe to use the loading data for the 240-250 gr. cast bullets, As has been mentioned above, a good .44 cast bullet does NOT have to be driven to max to  be effective.

If a feller (or gal) has access to a chronograph, you will probably find that there is little difference in velocity between two bullets of the same design when a solid cast bullet is reduced in weight by 20 grs when hollow pointed. That would mean that loading manual data would be useful and safe with either bullet if the seating depth, etc. is the same.

FWIW

Dale53

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • R. Dupraz
R. Dupraz posted this 27 October 2019

LYman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition

R

Attached Files

2frogs;

Did you get my PM?

Dale53

Attached Files

2frogs;

I got your reply. big_grin

Dale53

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 29 October 2019

think I can use 215 grain load data for the 220 grain bullets in my 44 special..thanks

Attached Files

Close