44 spl uberti flatop

• Last Post 15 April 2018
loophole posted this 03 April 2018

I see that Uberti makes a flatop revolver, but only in .45LC and 44-40.  I want a flatop in 44Russ or 44spl.

How about buying a 44-40 and installing a 44Spl cylinder? I if I ask the dealer I will get nothing but "We don't advise modifying our products".

Steve K

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
M3 Mitch posted this 04 April 2018

Are you thinking about making a custom cylinder from scratch, or modifying one from some other revolver?  Or would most SAA "clone" cylinders work? 

The reason I ask, is that while you could probably bore a 44-40 out to .45 Colt, the .44 Special is smaller than the .44-40.  I guess it might be possible to sleeve a .44-40 cylinder and then bore the sleeve.

Me, I would probably find a .44 Special Vaquero and call it a day.  That would probably cost less.

I am not a "guru" on revolver conversions.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 04 April 2018

I have 2 UBERTI'S in .44WCF with an extra .44spl fitted. You can find a GUNSMITH on the SASS website that can do it. But it ain't gonna be cheap, not these day's.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

loophole posted this 04 April 2018

I am asking this question out of genuine ignorance--What is involved in ordering the 44spl cylinder as a part and just installing it in the 44wcf frame?  Is the timing of the new cylinder going to be a problem?

My Mama used to tell me I was always wanting something I can't have. . . .

Mitch, I own a number of Ruger single actions, but I nothing can replace for me the comforting sound of a Colt being cocked.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 05 April 2018

Both timing and fit the cylinder to the frame opening. Neither of my UBERTI'S would accept the new cylinders when I got them in the mail, too long. Had to be fitted by my Gunsmith.

Every replacement cylinder is too long, made that why so it can be individually  fitted to an individual revolver.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 05 April 2018

It is not a terribly hard job if you have a lathe with a 4 jaw chuck and indicator. If you don't, you will have to pay a gunsmith or machinist.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
loophole posted this 05 April 2018

I still learn things after over 70 years. Thanks.

Steve K

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 09 April 2018

I also have a Uberti 44-40.  Pls share if you find a reasonable 44 SPC/Russ cylinder.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 12 April 2018

Used to be more calibers & guns available.  With the decline of Cowboy Action Shooting & the public interest in just black guns, there are far fewer choices in COLTS & clones. RIFLE caliber choices are down too. Parts are much harder to find and REALLY more expensive. Rossi's are CRAPPIER then ever. Even RUGER has trimmed it's line .The 7 1/2" VAQUERO, old or new is no longer available.   Not many choices left anymore. 

Attached Files

Dukem posted this 14 April 2018

I had fantasies about getting a 40 S&W cylinder for my Uberti P Model 38-40, just because I can get all kinds of brass for free at quarterly qualifications. But then again for the kind of money I'd be spending, I could buy lots of good Star Line 38-40 brass.

Duke

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • M3 Mitch
oscarflytyer posted this 15 April 2018

so you CAN have a Flattop 44-40/44 SPC combo!  But...  You have to start with a Ruger NM Vaquero/BH...  Which, fortunately, I have (44 SPC Flattop).  You can get a drop in (so they advertise...) 44-40 cylinder.  Look here:

http://www.rugercyl.com/ 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Close