30 American by Federal

• 2.7K Views
  • Last Post 14 November 2011
Ramsgate posted this 06 July 2009

On page 175 of my 6th edition Cartridges of the World, there is a description of the 30 American case which is a 30-30 case with a small primer pocket and small flash hole. It was to be the basis for a series of benchrest cartridges. To me it sounded perfect and worth a premium. Did it get produced? As anybody seen them? I've done the usual search engine inquiries but apparently I'm asking for the wrong stuff.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Notlwonk posted this 06 July 2009

Precision Shooting magazine sold some of them a year or two ago. I bought a box and they are just as described in the book.

Attached Files

hrafknel posted this 06 July 2009

I have 3 boxes of 20, and one box of 13. All have never been loaded. $15.00 per box of 20 plus shipping. Hrafknel

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 07 July 2009

While I cann't see any advantage in my Marlin lever action, I think it's a very interesting case. In a Shutzen rifle, or expanded to it's parent cartridge, the 38-55 shot in a single shot BP rifle, it has alot of potential. I wish there was greater availability.

Attached Files

EdS posted this 06 February 2010

The small primer 30-30 brass is very popular for Hunter Benchrest rifles.  It has an ideal capacity for the 110 - 125 grain hand made (jacketed) benchrest bullets.  Ed

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 05 November 2011

So what is the source of supply? Approximate cost?

Thanks in advance,

Uncle Russ, Ric's pain in the neck!

Attached Files

hrafknel posted this 05 November 2011

Federal made a one time run of +/- 100,000 years ago.  Finding new or un-used is similar to chicken teeth.

Hrafknel

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 05 November 2011

Thanks. I guess just another wish list item. I am learning a lot here.

Attached Files

45ACPete posted this 07 November 2011

I lucked into two boxes at a gun show a couple of years ago and snapped them up for $15, as I recall. Haven't yet tried loading them but I will soon.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 13 November 2011

Maybe 15 years ago I happened on some old 38-55 brass with small primer pockets. formed these to 32-40 and 30-30 and tested accurate rifles with accurate large primer loads in those calibers plus 38-55, and was amazed to find no detectable reliable accuracy increase with even match small rifle, or small pistol primers. I suspect that the 30 American is yet another solution in search of a problem. The ASSRA guys do well with both primer sizes; 32-30 not 20 and 32-40 and the 357-to-32 ctgs all work well. joe b.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 14 November 2011

Agree with Joe. In those cases where I have been able to do side-by-side comparisons the large primer gave slightly better ballistic uniformity than the small primer, but not significant.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 14 November 2011

why do not try with lapua 30-30 brass that usually are very good and unuiform,they are costly for raggle taggle bush shotting wth a lever gun,but  they may be useful for  bench rest shooting.

You have no case prepping to ,they are already uniform.

Remember the origin of the PPC cartridge ,it was made from Lapua brass.

I prefer large rifle primers,and their quality is more important ,to me than their size.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 14 November 2011

I tried a similar experiment with an XP-100 chambered in 30 Kern. The parent case is a Lapua 7.62 x 39 with the large primer. I worked a Lapua 220 Russian case into the same form and did some group testing. Limited as it was, the benefit of small vs. large primer didn't really appear. But...since the BR world is so focused on the advantages of small over large primer, I'd bet that somewhere, sometime, somehow, someone did a more exhaustive trial which resulted in the fabled small rifle primer being best with short, fat powder columns. But a 30-30 is not considered to be a short, fat powder column..or is it?

I'm with Giorgio in that size is less important than the performance (quality) and if the shooter “feels” that the large one works as well as the small one, he'll go with what he thinks is better...and acquire more easily in his local area.

Tom

Attached Files

Close