45-70 Build coming along well

• 1.8K Views
  • Last Post 13 December 2023
30carbnut posted this 26 August 2017

Hello all, well I finally decided on a barrel twist and length for my 45-70 build, I ended up going with a heavy 28" 1:18 / 8 groove Mcgowen with a straight taper. It is coming along and I think I am going to be happy with my choice of barrel. Still needs a lot more work on the stock and finish work on the metal.The target is in 1/2" squares. So what does everyone think so far.

NRA Life member since 1976

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
sluggo posted this 13 December 2023

Out on the rolling praries there are a lot of nervous buffaloe's. A great skilled job on your rifle.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 13 December 2023

The woodwork on this project is quite interesting. Two huge chunks of wood transformed into the very nice finished "furniture".

My current project is shaping and finishing a walnut fore arm for a Remington Rolling Block. I bought it from CPA. I added a "cheek" to each end where it contacts the receiver. The original butt stock has been sanded down to bare walnut.

Right now I'm scratching my head on a stain. Someone told me that when these guns were made, stain was not used on the wood. Hard to believe that what I sanded off of the butt stock was not stain. This won't work for me because of the slight difference in the "darkness" of the two pieces. I've used two sample color plates, one from Sherman Williams and the other from Min Wax.

My project is not even close to what you accomplished!

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
rhbrink posted this 13 December 2023

Mark passed a few years ago, he made really good muzzle loading rifle barrels he will be missed.

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 13 December 2023

Mark is Frank's son.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

30carbnut posted this 05 August 2021

Thank you to all for the great comments.

Attached Files

cfp4570 posted this 14 July 2021

That is a beautiful rifle! You should be very proud of that. I have the DeHaas book, but haven't done anything but read it. I can certainty understand the amount of labor that goes into a project like that. Again, very nice work!

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 13 July 2021

Absolutely beautiful!

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 12 July 2021

Hard to think when I am drooling on the keyboard.

I wish I had the time patience and talent.

Great work.

Attached Files

Spindrift posted this 11 July 2021

What a beautiful rifle!

Attached Files

blackout52 posted this 11 July 2021

That an awesome looking rifle, it's like a piece of art!!

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 11 July 2021

It looks beautiful. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
30carbnut posted this 10 July 2021

Hello all, been a while but I finally got the 45-70 done as I had envisioned it at the beginning, I think it turned out well, what do you all think?

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 10 June 2019

Hello 30carbnut,

Glad to see someone building a Frank DeHaus rifle. I have his book of plans and intended to build one and never did. I discovered investment castings instead.

Good Luck,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
30carbnut posted this 07 January 2019

Mark is Franks son they both wrote the book.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 07 January 2019

TK check your mail

R

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 06 January 2019

Greetings,

If I had a chance on another life I would really like to be dexterous, what wonderful craftsmanship.

Do you know if Frank Dehaas is related to Mark Dehaas, with whom I shot small bore with many (many) years ago?

TK

Attached Files

30carbnut posted this 06 January 2019

I bought Mr.Single Shot's Book of Rifle Plans by Frank Dehaas. It is a FM 2 Vault lock design that I modified the outside and internal workings quite a bit to make it work (IMO) better. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
rmrix posted this 06 January 2019

Somehow I missed this when it was fresh. I am very impressed!

I would like to have lived nextdoor and watch over your shoulder and ask pesky questions as you machined this.

I have more questions than answers but the first is.... did you build this from a plan you found?

second...

Does the action have a name?

Two thumbs up!

Attached Files

4570sharps posted this 06 January 2019

Very nice work! Is that an action of your own design?

Attached Files

gregg454 posted this 13 November 2017

Looks like the rifle doing good job for you.. Keep it coming I'm sucker for a 45-70.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close