New way to mess up a mould

• 2.3K Views
  • Last Post 16 October 2010
KenK posted this 08 August 2009

I cast in a semi open barn and store my moulds in the house.  I got ready to go cast some bullets this morning and couldn't find the mould I wanted.  Well, I had forgotten to bring it in and had left one of my favorite (and out of production) moulds in the barn. 

I was in Florida on vacation for a week and came back from that to find I had to move my Mother into a nursing home and had a pile of work on my desk so it had been sitting out there for 17 days.  Still I wasn't too worried and figured at worst there might be a speck of rust that would come right off.

A dang dirt dauber had taken it upon itself to go in there and lay eggs.  They had already hatched out and there were a couple larvae squirming around in the little 25 caliber cavity.  There must be some good enzymes or something in that mess cause they had flat done a number on it.

I think I finally have it about cleaned up but I had to resort to lapping it with Flitz and even used a little fine valve grinding compound on the ogive where the worst of it was.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 08 August 2009

Stupid as stupid does. Most of us with allot of equipment have done something like that. Difference is most don't tell. Must have something yo do with egos that some can't live without. Hope the mold survived the ordeal.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

I used to keep my moulds in the garage in a garbage picked fridge with a light bulb going at all times. Last winter I forget to check it and the bulb burned out. The RCBS and Saeco moulds survived with barely if any any rust on them at all but the Lyman's took a beating. Since my mind's slipping at an ever increasing rate no more Lyman's for me.

Attached Files

Ken

I have mold blocks that were stored for 12 years in 12 oz screw top jars filled with motor oil. I took the blocks and cleaned them up no problem I cast with them now. I live in a very dry climate though, everything is in the garage.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 08 August 2009

:coffee   Gents, I have dessicant paks available for free. They're used to package electrode for welding.  I have lots of these 1/2 units that measure 2&1/2” by 3&1/2".  I live where it's dry and have never had to change the ones I use.  Got plenty if you need 'em, just PM a mailing address.

Ron

Attached Files

CB posted this 09 August 2009

I keep my molds in the garage in sealed ammo cans with a bunch of desiccant packs my wife brings home from work. She says they come in the boxes of shoes. I just take 10 or so of them, pop the in the microwave for a minute and that dries them right out.Pop them in with the molds and I am good to go. Havent had an issue for quite a while and I have many Lyman molds, several H&G and a couple of Cramers, Saeco's, RCBS, Lachmiller, LBT, Rapine and other various manufacturers.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 09 August 2009

Here's one you may not have tried. About 25 yrs. ago someone(wife denies any knowledge) used my Lyman .58 hollow base minie mold for a set of pliers! I cleaned up the dings pretty good, but you can still see marks. It works fine still in my Zouave but I keep my molds out of harm's way now.

Attached Files

Charliel posted this 13 October 2010

Is anyone experiencing problems with the new lyman mould, I purchased a 45 round nose from Midway and after casting 500 bullets the plates no longer close tight. It looks like the mould bowed out in the center. Any fixes?

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 13 October 2010

Charliel; On occasion I have seen iron moulds with a burr around the alignment pin holes. It is caused by “slamming” the mould closed. When the soft iron moulds are made from is heated they become VERY soft. I was teaching a young man to cast. He seemed to have the hang of it, but in the time it took me to walk to the basement and return he had damaged the mould to the point it suddenly started casting bullets with fins.

An examination showed he had slammed the mould shut a couple of times while the blocks were not perfectly aligned. The damage was keeping the blocks from closing. Fortunately, a little work with a Swiss needle file and the mould was up and running again. He learned a lesson (as did I).

Hopefully, that is your problem and it is correctable.

Good luck! Dale53

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 13 October 2010

I live in Darwin, Australia, about the most humid place you can ever settle in (seemed a good idea at the time...).

I oil my moulds after every use. Lots of machine oil. When I need to cast I put them in a pot of shellite and give them a scrub out with a toothbrush or similar. So far no problems.

However, I did stuff up a .303 Lee mould that cast too small by putting grinding paste on a piece of dowel and using a drill to grind them out a bit. Lop sided bullets nicely casting now...

we live and learn.

Attached Files

old turtle posted this 16 October 2010

I live in central Florida (Tampa) and everything rusts and corrodes at an alarming rate. I put a heavy coat of Marvel Mystery Oil on the molds and store them in the Lyman plastic boxes. I have had no problems. I use Marvel for every thing including my gun bores.

Attached Files

Close