SAECO 22 mould........v. 1.3

• 2.8K Views
  • Last Post 26 January 2010
KenK posted this 10 September 2009

I've put the cast 22 shooting aside lately but seeing how I'm about out of large primers I figured I better start back.

We discussed this mould in an earlier thread and here it is in it's latest incarnation.  From the left is the bullet as original, next shows the bullet with the gas check shank bored out and the third from the left is with the top of the mould milled down to shorten it.  Erik Ohlen did all the work.  The bullet on the far right is the RCBS bullet with the top cut down, I decided to forgo the boring on this one.  Second from right is the NEI.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
KenK posted this 12 September 2009

I wonder if I should try timing these bullets in the case? 

I cast these bullets this morning, they may do better or worse if they age a little bit.  Still, I think it is clear at this point they are going to shoot better this way than they did with the longer base band.

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 September 2009

Ken

Those are good 10 shot groups. I wouldn't call the shot out of the main group a flyer, more like a shot not related to the rest. Good effort.

How much does the bullet weigh.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

KenK posted this 13 September 2009

Stephen Perry wrote: How much does the bullet weigh.

Originally, 58 grains. It's 52 grains now with my ersatz 92-6-2 alloy.

Attached Files

CWME posted this 13 September 2009

Kinda off topic so I apologize in advance...

In it's original form do you know if the Saeco bullet would stabilize in a 1-12 twist barrel? Been eyeing the 4 cav mold... Not sure if it would work in my Ruger MKII Varmint .223 or not.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 13 September 2009

My 218 Bee has a 1-14 twist and the original configuration was stable out to 100 yards, started as slow as 1,200 fps, so I don't see where you would have any problem.

You might want to read this thread, linoww reports problems with gas checks on his mould.  It has a very short check shank.

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=3618&forum_id=10&jump_to=22027#p22027>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=3618&forumid=10&jumpto=22027#p22027

Attached Files

CWME posted this 14 September 2009

Thank you for the information.

Interesting that they would cut such a short GC shank, must be some reason that they do this?

How do you like that NEI bullet. Interesting design.

Nice shooting by the way.  

Attached Files

KenK posted this 14 September 2009

The NEI bullet shoots about as well as anything else I've tried. 

It's a good mould and I've been pleased with my recent dealings with the company. 

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 14 September 2009

Good Shooting, Ken.  218 is interesting to me, do you neck size for that?  Shows lots of promise, loaded some .22 Hornets this weekend, myself.   The small bores are lots of fun.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 15 September 2009

The .218 Bee is a wonderful cartridge in my opinion.  Of course it was originally brought out as a lever action round but I think it really shines best in the single shot rifle.

I have found neck sizing only to be critical for accuracy in this rifle with this brass.  The rim thickness various considerably. I bought batch of 500 cases when I bought the rifle and have probably culled 15 cases because the rim was too thick to let the breech block close.  When I first started off I quickly found I could call fliers just by how it felt when I closed the action.

Rocky Raab has an article on his website about reloading the Bee for the Contender that you might find interesting.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 25 November 2009

Pistol primers and 2400 are working pretty good.  This is the best ten shot group I've managed to date.  I sure wish I could remember what I cast these bullets out of.

Attached Files

jpetro posted this 26 January 2010

looking for a mould 60gr gc for my 22-250 w/1-9 twist what are some recomendations thanks jpetro

Attached Files

Close