Paper patch moulds!

• 6.9K Views
  • Last Post 23 January 2014
sojerguy posted this 27 September 2009

Well FS #199 had an interesting article on paper-patch bore polishing.  As I've 'inherited' a few older trashed looking 7mm and 8mm Mausers I thought I'd try this method of quick polishing to see if the bores will be worth working with.

Soooooooooooo .... Anyone know of a paper-patch mould number suitable for the 7x57 and the 8x57?

Thanks

Sojerguy

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 27 September 2009

sojerguy wrote: Anyone know of a paper-patch mould number suitable for the 7x57 and the 8x57? I believe that the paper patch molds for 30 cal are .301.  The 8mm might take a .323 diameter bullet so you would be looking for something of about .315 or the 303 Brit bullet mold.  the 7mm might take a .284 diameter bullet so you would be looking for something of about .276 like the 270 bullet mold.

Perhaps if you would slug the barrel and get the proper groove diameter one of the kind members would offer to cast slugs from one of these molds for you.  That would be a lot less expensive that buying even the least expensive molds for just a small number of bullets.  Duane Mellenbruch

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 28 September 2009

Simple answer to me would be to either Hand lap the bores or do a firelapping

with a standard  0.284 and 0.323 bullets respectively for the 7 and 8mm.

beltfed/Arnie

Attached Files

sojerguy posted this 18 October 2009

Beltfed,

The article was about a simpler and easier alternative to fire-lapping etc ...

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 18 October 2009

begging pardon. you were right. I was off goal in suggesting firelapping or lapping. 

I have had luck in paper patching GG bullets, then sizing them to groove dia.

For instance my deer load for my 358 Win is a Lyman 358218  250 gr cast bullet, which I size to 0.358, then Paper patch , spray with dry teflon then size/lube the PPed bullet to 0.360.

you could do the same thing with a std gg bullet for the 7 or 8mm. Suggest one with lots of bearing surface such as a Loverin style.

For maximum polishing one could use a clay coated paper, then skip the teflon and lube.

Is that a better response?

beltfed/Arnie

Attached Files

sojerguy posted this 18 October 2009

Beltfed,

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 18 October 2009

usually p/p to a thou under groove diameter then a bit of valve lapping compound will produce excellent results pretty quickly.

Attached Files

jon skorepa posted this 12 February 2010

nei offers pp bullet moulds i own their 7mm one

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 12 February 2010

Just use a grease grove bullet. 

Patch it with computer paper, notebook paper, or just about any thing else.

Size the patched bullets (now dry and lubed with a little paste wax or sizing wax) in a push through sizing die  to .001 to .002 OVER GROVE  DIAMETER load and shoot.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Dirtybore posted this 23 January 2014

I've paper patched many bullets but found the small 7mm to be over tedious for my disposition and patients. Added to that was the fact that I had to crimp each load and during this process, often over crimped and bulged the case, forcing me to unload the cartridge and start all over again. In case you're wondeing why I had to crimp, it was becasue after using the “M” die, the bullet was too lose in the case, even after being paper patched. My reason for paper patching was due to using an RCBS 167 gr bullet in an over sized military bore and I had to make the bullet fatter. No, it didn't work so my quest for a fatter bullet continued. The final solution was finding and using a Lyman 125 gr GG GC bullet of .289” in my .292". grooved bore. Good luck.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 23 January 2014

Seems like the long way around just to see if the bores are any good. Unless of course you just want to try it.

Have you run a brush or patch through any of these to get an idea if they are worth the effort first? Iffin they were mine and I saw that maybe they would be workable and depending on condition, this is what I would do.

Get some appropriately size cast bullets, lube and size then roll them in valve grinding compound. You can buy a package with fine and course grit. Use a low end cast bullet load.

Same thing is done with revolvers to remove the constriction in the bore at the breach of the barrel when it has been screwed in too tight. Works fine.

Then throw the brass away afterwards.

Attached Files

Close