50 yard Bunny hunt experiences

• 2.2K Views
  • Last Post 02 June 2019
Scearcy posted this 09 April 2019

Most of the bunny targets are out or in the mail so I thought it was time for a new thread focused on the shooting. 

I'll go first. I am going to shoot off my hind legs this time. Uffda! My skill need some work.

Aren't rabbits supposed to be shot with a shotgun?

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
barra posted this 02 June 2019

Offhand

Thnx for letting me join in the shoot.

I had fun and enjoy it.

Not as easy as it first appears that’s for sure.

big_grin

Wish I had the 310 cadet when I was a kid and the knowledge I have now to feed it. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick

One last go.

310 again this time trying harder.

sitting

Shooting blInd still. Score 67 I think. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 June 2019

Mashburn ... ok, got ya covered .... you are now on the near-professional ( yet oh-so humble ) .... Ken/Dave Rabbit-Search-and-Destroy Team.

current weapon of choice ::  Ruger3, 45-70, load 12.8 gr Unique, Projectile is a Lee Old Army 230 plain base pistol bullet ...     optics are non-asymmetrical silicone based lenses assembled by Universal ...  focal length ratio of 9 to 1 ....

first test shot was low, trying to acquire the target ... or, it could be that i jerked that 4 pound factory trigger ...

final combined score was 52 .... and a seriously impeded brer rabbit ...  evidence photo attached ...

thanks for participating  .....  ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
  • JeffinNZ
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 31 May 2019

Mashburn .. no biggie ... hopefully you got some fun out of following along, and any planning you got done will just set you up for some future fun shoot ! .  heck , i might even go out and shoot an honorary bunny for you ... i wonder if i have some castings for my 30 carbine ... 

ken

edit:  yeah, i hate those damm ticks ...

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 31 May 2019

Hello Scearcy,

Sorry that I missed the bunny shoot. I suffer from chronic pain due to years of chronic lyme disease and sometimes I just get past going. I'm doing better now and hope to be loading and shooting again before long.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Fitzpatrick posted this 31 May 2019

Ken 

We thank you and all involved for putting this bunny shoot on and already anticipating the next shoot

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 30 May 2019

tlkeizer:  nice target and great story .... i liked the mental image of your rest collapsing just as you pull the trigger, all while aiming a foot low, and anticipating at least a friendly jab from recoil of a 45-70 .....  

when i wuz a kid, i used to read all about those amazing cross-canyon shots in the sporting magazines and decided there must be something wrong with my own shooting abilities since i only made about half of my field shots with my little m43 in 218 bee and a spiffy lyman peep ... 

probably led to my present-day attitude of * question everything * .... and probably even why mr. scearcy and i thought it would be interesting to try to simulate real field conditions on the " almost-live " animal targets ....

i shoot the 50 yard targets in my back yard, and with 9 inches of rain lately my feet keep sinking into the grass while i am trying to aim ...  wouldn't be so bad if both feet sank at the same rate ...

thanks everyone for joining in on this spring bunny shoot; ... my wife and i have looked forward to receiving your reports and often targets ...  i feel slightly guilty for getting to share your shooting fun without having to buy all those primers ...

ken

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 30 May 2019

Greetings,

Nice day up here in Alaska yesterday, early morning temps in low 40's, almost sunny, 2-3 mph breeze, one bunny left to perforate.  I used my totally original Springfield Model 1884 Trapdoor in 45-70.   I did succumb to post backrest and shooting stick, but the shooting stick was too short for me so I had to use a box to raise it.  That was interesting as the cardboard box did not want to hold steady, so wound up holding the box between my feet to keep it from turning over with the shooting stick on it.  My 1884 shoots a foot or so high at 50 yards, so had to use a bit of Kentucky Windage; for my 1873 I replaced the front sight with a much taller one.  The load was 55 grains Goex FFG, Lee 405 grain HB bullet, range scrap with tin and antimony, CCI 250 primer, SPG lube, and ran a spit patch through the bore with the ramrod after every shot.  I was happy with the results, had a double hole, and shot the eye out of the bunny.  Although, I did adjust my aim point down after the first 3 shots which were the ones in the head and neck.

After the bunny I shot a set of 4 different loads off the bench, and they all were in the same 3 inch group.  It did not make a difference if the load was 55 grains or 70 grains of BP, or if the bullet was 405 grains or 500 grains, they all were in the same circle.  That was a bit of a surprise for me, but tells me I do not have to have different aim points for different loads when out hunting.

TK

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
Bohica793 posted this 27 May 2019

Neither worth writing home about.  40 with the revolver and 60 with the lever.  Trail Boss 5.5 w/ 454190 clone.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
JeffinNZ posted this 25 May 2019

In the post to you on Monday Ken so you can even out my conservative scoring.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 25 May 2019

hey jeff ... you forgot the " 7 " ring around the neck.  ken

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 25 May 2019

My humble efforts at 50m/55y. 

SMLE, prone with sling.  Plain base Lee 120gr RN, ACWW, LLA, 6gr Unique, Rem primer, 1050fps.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
longhunter posted this 24 May 2019

Jim,

I'm so sorry to here of your loss.  You are in my Prayers.

And yes Please join us in our fun matches.

What are you going to come up with next?

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 24 May 2019

Gentlemen:

I owe you an explanation. I have been AWOL the past two months. A week ago I lost my wife of 50 years to leukemia. Lynn would want me to rejoin you guys as she knew how much pleasure these "shoots" give me. I'll be ready for the next event.

Jim

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 24 May 2019

cfp4570 ... thanks for the great post ....  sitting here in the middle of yet another nasty storm, it is a perk-me-up to see your targets and shootin' irons ... thanks, i surely have one more gun that needs some exercise  ... heck, got a whole week left ...

ken 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
cfp4570 posted this 24 May 2019

Finally shot the rest of my targets last weekend between the rain and wind gusts. I had a small limb (more of a big stick really) fall out of a tree and land right at my feet to add to the excitement. Got a lot of good exercise walking back and forth changing targets while watching for copperheads and timber rattlers. This was such a fun shoot and many thanks to Jim and Ken for putting this on!!! All targets were shot sitting with my back against a tree and using cross sticks.

This one was shot with the trusty handi rifle/shotgun with the unfinished 45 colt barrel. Found out it doesn't much like the Lyman 454424 and shooting another target after embarrassing myself on the bunny target confirmed this. Hey, don't laugh too hard at the gun, it's a winter project, and dang it, it warmed up. 

Next, Remington 700 .223 "old ugly" as I call it. One of these days that abomination of a stock has to go. 

Shot the next one in the heart/lung area with a Savage 99 .300 Savage Lee 314-90 over 5 grains of bullseye.

Head shots were with t/c contender .357 max. Another homemade mould 158 flat point over 11.0 of 2400. The oblong holes were caused by wind blowing the target into a bow shape. I had it held between two uprights without a backer. The old model 99 beat all my other targets! 

Remington 700 .30-06. My first centerfire rifle given to me by my dad when I turned 14. He always said that was the caliber to have if you wanted one rifle that could do it all. I don't think he was too far off. 

Last one. T/c seneca .36 caliber. Patched round ball over 35 grains of Goex FFFg

All targets and tech sheets are en route to Ken. 

Carl 

Attached Files

barra posted this 18 May 2019

Well I might polish up my eye balls an have another go if it ever stops raiming and blowing.

At least the temp has dropped to a nice 25-27 deg C. Being winter now I suppose.

Looks like the bar has been raised to a whole new level to me.

I figure I will have to just shoot out the eye ball on the rabbit now to have a chance at redeeming myself

I might have ago at sitting on low stool and trying some form of that  stick shooting malarkey that seems popular over there.

Attached Files

4060may posted this 18 May 2019

that was a .357 mag, replacement barrel from H&R when they did that, the chamber was long enough for .360 Dan Wesson, but i got in a hurry and didn't wait for brass available from Starline, used a .380 dia. chucking reamer and made the chamber as .357max, has worked well so far...

the shot in the nose was me slipping and the gun going off, I am officially an old guy, so it is allowed

Chuck

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 17 May 2019

4060may ... ha that last target with the 357max no doubt has a story ... hey, a friend has an hr in 357max also .. heavy barrel 20? inch.  a real fun gun to shoot.   making me think i need a 357max also.  

ken

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close