500 S&W bullets

• Last Post 07 May 2020
  • Topic Is Solved
sergeant69 posted this 03 May 2020

i don't know if this is the right place to discus this or not. if not i'll move it.

buddy has a new S&W 500 (that hes already had to send back for repairs because at one point in cyl rotation it hangs up) and he bought some factorys that like to tore his ligaments out so i got him started down the rabbit hole of reloading BUT he went out and bought a box of those horrendous missle looking gummy tip things. 325 gr over 19.5 unique. recoil is now fine but he wants to try cast. thank god! i can't quite get him to pull the trigger on a mold yet ( i have tons of all the rest) so we are looking for a box or 3 of pre cast in the 300-325 gr weight and having a hard time finding any. and if they sell em they're out of stock. or hard cast. want a softer bullet cause if they're too hard they won't do the big O and lead the bbl.  found some at Graf but still want options. any suggestions appreciated. thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 03 May 2020

.. sounds like some good stories to come from this project ..

on big fat bullets you can drill quite a lot of weight out of the nose ... 

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
sergeant69 posted this 03 May 2020

i do that with my 45-70 cast 405 gr on a small wood lathe

Attached Files

Gregor posted this 04 May 2020

https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66&zenid=sqvde30812jdmjb30jhmtik0s4

Has excellent bullets and a wide, diverse selection. 

I use the Lee 440gr. LFPGC for my .500 shooting.  Need to run two at a time and have a Lee magnum pot to supply my Lyman Mag20 furnance to keep production up.  Also have several NOE moulds, but the Lee is good for $20.00 ea.

Attached Files

sergeant69 posted this 04 May 2020

good infor, thanks!! gun came back fine, fixed. no explaination, no charge. i think as soon as he gets hooked on shooting soft cast he will be buying a mold. i have maybe 12-15 molds but no 500s. have a lee 6 banger for my 45 colt 225 gr rnf and love it. a lyman for the 325 gr. shoulda got a 5 hole from NOE ? or one a those others, don't remember right now. i think a lee 6 hole for a 500 would put my shoulder in a sling!

Attached Files

sergeant69 posted this 04 May 2020

he ordered 100 slugs from mattsbullets. thanks

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 04 May 2020

buying commercial cast bullets ... hah, i have about 30+ molds ... but for my " boring " 30 cal plinker shooting, i am on my 3000 th commercial cast ...

everybody has a secret sin.

btw, i lately am using Badman's bullets.  good bullets and service.  and i like the name ... 

ken, wallowing in guilt ...

Attached Files

sergeant69 posted this 05 May 2020

will check them out too. thanks

Attached Files

GregT posted this 06 May 2020

I cast some .50 caliber slugs for my Model 1868 and 1870 Trapdoor rifles, caliber .50/70. What is the diameter of the cast slug for the S&W revolver?

GregT

Attached Files

sergeant69 posted this 06 May 2020

Attached Files

Gregor posted this 06 May 2020

I cast some .50 caliber slugs for my Model 1868 and 1870 Trapdoor rifles, caliber .50/70. What is the diameter of the cast slug for the S&W revolver?

GregT

.501"

Attached Files

sergeant69 posted this 07 May 2020

he's about outta unique and i can't find any. cabelas, powder valley, graf, etc are out.  anyone know where theres some to be had?

Attached Files

Close