H&R Handy rifle

• 5.9K Views
  • Last Post 25 June 2011
Hartley Dean posted this 24 November 2009

H&R Handy rifle in 204 Ruger,puts bullets all over target,bullets hit side ways. Set up in lathe and re-crowned. No change,any ideas. Rfle looks like new with no visable damage. Firing pin mark is is at 6 o-clock on fired cases. I relize this is hardly a cast bullet round but cast is usually what I play with.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 24 November 2009

Hartley, you gotta give us more than that! Load particulars especially. Someone here can help, I'm sure. They're all cast bullet rounds around here.

Attached Files

Hartley Dean posted this 24 November 2009

The loads were factory Hornady. That is about all I can tell you except that evry thing looks ok.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 25 November 2009

Well I thought maybe it was a cast load giving you trouble. Nevertheless, I'm betting some of the more knowledgeable guys here can help. It does sound like something is wrong with that gun. In my experience Hornady ammo has been top flight, I use it when I really want to know what a gun can do. By the way, any plans to try a cast bullet in your .204? That would be interesting.

Attached Files

Hartley Dean posted this 25 November 2009

Are there even any 204 cast bullet moulds avialable. I work with the 22Hornet and cast bullets,it can be frusstrating can't imagine 204. One gun shop I talked to said they had seen one other Handy Rifle in 204 done the same thing,it had the chamber cut out of line with the bore.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 25 November 2009

No idea if there's any .20 molds available, but I bet you could get one made. I wouldn't have the patience for that myself, like you said, the Hornet is tough to handle with clumsy fingers, mine are more suited for swinging a club. If you maybe try one other brand of ammo and confirm a barrel problem maybe it's time to ship it to H&R.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 25 November 2009

Check out Greybeards outdoor forum. There's a section just on Handi-rifles. Great tips. One is to install a rubber washer between the forearm and the hangar. Helped my 38-55. There's alot of peculiarities to these rifles, but they can be made to shoot!

Attached Files

Buffalo Bill posted this 09 February 2010

Is it possible that H & R goofed and chambered a barrel destined to be a .223 Remington barrel but used a .204 Ruger chambering reamer by mistake?  If so, a 20 caliber bullet should easily fall through the 22 caliber bore.  Or, could it be that a 20 caliber barrel was final reamed and polished but the rifling was never cut?  Just grasping at possibilities.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 09 February 2010

Well, I bought a new a first model Ruger 77 in 250/3000 Savage, in 1977. It would blow primers with starting loads, and melt the heads off cases with factory loads. It was a 243 barrel they had run a 250/3000 reamer into. I sold it to a Ruger collector and made a good profit on it! Accidents happen even at factories!

Attached Files

offhand35 posted this 09 February 2010

It would be interesting to hear how that bore slugged.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 10 February 2010

It was back in the days when I only shot cast bullets in pistols. I didn't have any idea about chamber casts. And I was a slow learner as I shot that thing about six times! Anyway the first case that stuck in the chamber, I tried to put a 1/4 inch drill rod down the bore, 0.250", and it didn't come close to fitting. Tapped a small fishing sinker into the muzzle, and it measured .243". Pushing a 22 caliber cleaning rod from the back, the patch just got tighter in front of the chamber. Looking at it, it didn't seems extra rough.

Attached Files

Tuner posted this 16 December 2010

Dean:  First thing I would do is to check to make sure that everything on the rifle is tight, scope if you have one and sights, whatever your sighting equipment is.  If that is ok and you have a scope on the rifle I would remove the barrel from the action and place it in a paded vise and while looking through the scope tap on it with your hand and see if the reticals jump around indicating a possible internal problem.  You might want to swap the scope with one you know performs on one of your other riflesw.  If this checks out I would reassemble the rifle and place a .0015 feeler gauge across the rear of the chamber and close the action, you should be able to easily pull the feeler gauge out as there should be clearance between the rear of the barrel and the action.  If you can't pull the gauge out open the action and see if there are rub marks where the barrel has rubbed the frame, this can cause accuracy problems and may be a reason to send it back to H&R.  Next I would check the forend and make sure that it is not in contact with the receiver and you might try the washer / o ring suggested in an earlier post.

If all of this checks out and you ares still having accuracy problems I would ger some cerosafe from Brownell's and do a chamber cast.  In that regard you might want to google Mike Bellm and go to his web site where you will find some excellent information and pictures on out of center chambers and some excellent articles on how to make break action firearms shoot. (he specializes in TC's but it applies to the H&Rs also)  Mike also has an excellent article with pictures on how to pillar bed a forend on a TC which will apply to the H&R.

I have got to throw this in and don't take it personally, but all of the above assumes that you are a good shot, know how to bench a rifle and understand the pecularities of shooting a rifle with a two piece stock.

Good luck on resolving the accuracy issue and keep us posted.

Attached Files

CB posted this 18 December 2010

Hartley,

If the bullets are tumbling (hitting the target sideways) you can quit worring about trying bedding tricks, changing scopes, and how well or badly you are shooting because none of those can make a bullet tumble and no improvement of them is going to stabilize the bullets if they are tumbling. 

You have something that isn't even close to right about the chambering, throating, or the rifling itself (size or twist). I think the recrowning was a good try although it would have to be a horrible crown to make bullets tumble since damaged crowns often still shoot OK while looking terrible. My guess is that NEF put in some stupid twist too slow to stabilize normal bullets.  Manufacturers sometimes have a tendency to do that but that is only a wild guess.

If a rifle dosen't stabilize the proper length bullet in factory ammunition it should just be sent back.  The Hornady's weren't loaded with some extra long bullets instead of normal weights were they?

It seems like you have been very patient and have been tormented enough.

Ric -- what a clever devil you are to think of selling that Ruger to a collector.

John

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 December 2010

John, It is still one of his prized pieces. Mistakes like that are rare, and even rarier for Ruger. Ric

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 21 December 2010

If you ever find one of the Ruger Redhawk .357/.44 squeezebore revolvers with .44 Magnum cylinder and .357 barrel on it rollmarked “.44 Magnum” I want it. Ditto on .280 Remington M77 with .270 Winchester barrel on it, they shoot great but you have to be careful about loads.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 21 December 2010

Sounds like .224 groove and .204 bullet sending those bullets sideways into target .

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 26 May 2011

Years back, (and I mean YEARS back), a good friend had a barrel installed on a Mauser 98 action, and chambered for 22-250. Brand new barrel, good gunsmith, etc. Right off, mid-to-moderate charges resulted in hard to open bolt handle, flat primers, stuck cases, etc. In fact, all the bad chamber pressure indications were present. He tried to figure it out, and couldn't figure it. Taking it back to the gunsmith, after about a year of fooling with it, revealed that the barrel was .223, not the .224 he had assumed. Which showed it had been bored/rifled/created/meant for the .22 Hornet. End of mystery. He put the rifle in a closet, disgusted, and, as far as I know, hasn't touched it for about 50 years. I never ask.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Fred_Dwyer posted this 26 May 2011

Get to a gunsmith and have him gauge the chamber, bore and check twist rate. Something is surely amiss.

Attached Files

bandmiller2 posted this 18 June 2011

Hartly,when you get the problem straighted out try some Sheridan solid air rifle slugs they may work. Frank C.

Attached Files

CB posted this 24 June 2011

I would slug the barrel, have the chamber checked, after that send it back.

Jerry

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 24 June 2011

I'd send the thing in. It has to have something wrong with the barrel.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close