LBT moulds

• 3K Views
  • Last Post 31 January 2010
billwnr posted this 07 January 2010

Just got my .38 caliber mould from the group buy. This is the first time I've seen an LBT mould and it appears to be a work of art. Nothing sloppy about the manufacture of it. The LBT mould and a used Eagan came the same day. From just a visual inspection I'd class the LBT as better than the Eagan. Eagan's are nothing to sneeze at as they are wayyyyy better than the usual moulds.

I may have to check out LBT and see what they make in the line of a 200 grain .30/06 bullet for military competition.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 07 January 2010

Got mine today too. After following Veral's prep instructions I went to it, just finished the first fifty. WW + tin, they are beautiful, fall out of the mold most of the time when I open it. I got a 359-200 LFN to shoot in my 1894c. These are gorgeous molds. Mine are dropping at 200.5 gr. and .3595.

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 January 2010

I have several (20+) of Verals molds and they are all great except for the one I screwed up. I have molds from almost every mold maker and I have to say that Veral makes one of the finest I have every cast. I got the GB molds from Veral on Monday evening and shipped them out Tuesday. I am glad to hear that everyone except the fellow in Italy has received their orders. The only addition I can make to his use instructions is to use a good sprue prep like NEI or Rapine as this will extend the life of the mold without galling that surface. Another thing is to break the sprue by hand without striking it with a mallet. If you put a slight downward pressure and pop it by hand there will be virtually no sprue bump if any at all. Treat it right and it will last for 100's of 1,000's of pours and give you superb quality bullets.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 08 January 2010

I too own several LBT moulds, the hardness tester and the book. I don't own a .38 or .357 so I didn't get in on the GB. Veral has been a terrific help/coach in selecting bullet designs when I'm ordering a mould.

What would help me (and maybe a few others) is what is.... a good sprue prep like NEI or Rapine...and how do you use them, etc.?

Thanks!

Tom

Attached Files

Changeling posted this 13 January 2010

Tom Acheson wrote: I too own several LBT moulds, the hardness tester and the book. I don't own a .38 or .357 so I didn't get in on the GB. Veral has been a terrific help/coach in selecting bullet designs when I'm ordering a mould.

What would help me (and maybe a few others) is what is.... a good sprue prep like NEI or Rapine...and how do you use them, etc.?

Thanks!

Tom   Glad I came in on what you said about a good sprue prep/lubricant. It would really be great if an experienced person could recommend one.

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 January 2010

Sprue plate lube is one of the persona;l preference things. I am working on an article for the FS that details use and has my opinion on the results. As a gimmie from that article, personally I like the graphite suspension types like NEI or Rapine. Applied to a cold mold, you can even do the entire mold if you want. I have used it both ways with good results and I cast a very large number of bullets. Almost 50K this year so far.

Attached Files

Veral Smith posted this 15 January 2010

Only 50,000 in less than two weeks? Seems to me that you'd have so much spare time on your hands that you'd be out counting them over and over just to keep your mind occupied!   About mold prep lubes for sprue plates.  Please keep it just there on LBT molds.  Use only our mold lube on the alignment pins or you'll shorten the alignment life dramatically.  With LBT mold lube applied sparingly as needed, I have reports of 400,000 bullets cast in one 4 cavity mold and roundness still withing .0002.  That is a bit less than half the thickness of saran wrap out of round.  The customer proudly returned this mold for me to check out, so that measurement is mine.

Attached Files

Changeling posted this 17 January 2010

Jeff Bowles wrote: Sprue plate lube is one of the persona;l preference things. I am working on an article for the FS that details use and has my opinion on the results. As a gimmie from that article, personally I like the graphite suspension types like NEI or Rapine. Applied to a cold mold, you can even do the entire mold if you want. I have used it both ways with good results and I cast a very large number of bullets. Almost 50K this year so far.

Well I was kinda looking for someone that cast bullets fairly often and large quanties but I guess your answer will have to do, LOL.    Thanks for the advice, sorry I couldn't help it, LOL.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 17 January 2010

I am patiently waiting for my mould crossing the Pond and passing all the intelligent anti-terrorism controls we are blessed with.

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 January 2010

Well I had to take a break, wife wanted the toliet fixed... Kinda important I guess.. Got better than 50K cast in the last month and a half..

Attached Files

DJWright posted this 24 January 2010

As the former owner of a cast bullet company, I will say that LBT moulds are the best out there for casting quickly and accurate bullets. I've used lot's of others and none come close. The best combo for casting the most bullets in a short time period without getting sloppy about it, is to use 7 -4 gang moulds at once. By the time you have filled the 7th mould, the first is now ready to drop the bullets.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 25 January 2010

My 4 cavity mould arrived last friday.

250 grains WFN gas check bullets for my Rem.700 35 Whelen,I tried some loads with 12 grains of Tecna,at short ranges ,with  a rear ghost ring and fiberoptic front.

A pleasure to cast and shoot them.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 25 January 2010

Buffalo, can we get a picture of that rifle? It sounds interesting with those sights. Also, did you ever find a cap for your WWII US canteen? If you need one, I can get you a more current “Arctic” canteen, complete, to protect your grappa in the bitter cold.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 31 January 2010

Here is my Rem 700 with ghost sights.

I am going to shorten the butt a little,for fast bolt manipulation with heavy winter clothing. My boar shooting team friends are all using ugly european semiauto rifles,I have already  showed off with a rem 30-06 pump,a couple of 45/70 marlins.And now I'm preparing to show off with a bolt gun.They miss a lot with their guns ,believing that autos are superior,I want to prove that superiority comes from lots of prfect practice.

Of course I too miss a lot,mine fault not of the rifles.

I have not been able to get a genuine US canteen,I'll be glad to get a modern GI one.

Attached Files

Close