New 1885

• 3.6K Views
  • Last Post 14 March 2010
KenK posted this 12 February 2010

I got my new rifle today.  Built by my brother at Wyoming Armory, it started life as a Winder Musket.  The action is the only thing left original.  It is in 25-20 WCF.  Can't wait to shoot it some.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Reg Lingle posted this 12 February 2010

Ken that's gorgeous!!! Are you going to breach seat bullets? And , what twist? I still have my plain base mould from my Mod. 45 Stevens Schuetzen, 25-25-86 that I sold some time ago. Want me to cast you up some 1-25 bullets? E-mail me and I'll send you a picture of my old rifle. Warmest, Reg Lingle

Attached Files

KenK posted this 12 February 2010

Thanks, Reg.  I'm going to shoot fixed ammo until Russ Weber can get me a seater made.  I've got several bullet to try but I may take you up on your offer if I can't get the results I'm hoping for. 

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 12 February 2010

That's a beautiful rifle. Congratulations!!

I have had excellent results with the Lyman 257420 bullet. However, it is a gas checked bullet and not allowed in most schuetzen matches.

I DO like the caliber. None of my single shots are in this caliber but I have a Marlin lever action (late model) that works REALLY well with this round. It is also arguably the best dern squirrel rifle cartridge out there (4.0 grs of Unique puts them on the ground RIGHT NOW!)

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 February 2010

Yep, BEAUTIFUL rifle Ken!

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 12 February 2010

I have a TC Encore with a custom barrel I like alot but you rifle is a quantum leap up. VERY NICE!

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 12 February 2010

That's Absolutely Beautiful!

Attached Files

helice posted this 19 February 2010

Ken, I popped on to see your rifle and had my breath taken away. Been a long time since I've seen one as nice. Give your Bro. a Pat on the back for me.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 06 March 2010

This is the best group so far.  These bullets came with the rifle and I only had 25 or so.  I'm going to see if I can get David Mos to make a mould for something similar.

Attached Files

Reg Lingle posted this 06 March 2010

What a nice group! Are you going to try and shoot the same bullet in fixed ammo with wads etc.? Reg

Attached Files

KenK posted this 07 March 2010

Reg Lingle wrote:  Are you going to try and shoot the same bullet in fixed ammo with wads etc.? Reg Probably not, I have the little Ideal 257382 bullet shooting fairly well seated in the case so will probably stick with that for fixed ammo.  I also have a plain base NEI, bore ride, bullet that is shooting fairly well.  This afternoon I'm going to try and cast a few of those out of 25-1 and see what they do breech seated.  The bore ride section is actually tapered and goes from bore diameter to near groove diameter in front of the drive bands.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 07 March 2010

Beautiful gun. Is that maple? I'm in the middle of a controversy over tiger striping on a Russiam MN over on 7.62x54r.com. Is that natural on yours? It's gorgeous. I'd like to learn more about stock wood, live real close to major walnut country. Good shootin' Ken.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 07 March 2010

Tim, it is natural walnut. The picture makes it look lighter than it really is. Fiddleback maple makes a real pretty stock to me if it's stained kind of dark. Never cared much for the blonde wood myself.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 07 March 2010

Do you think that tiger striping could occur naturally on a issue birch 1940s MN stock? I've only seen it on the maple stocks of muzzleloaders.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 08 March 2010

Reg, the NEI bullet is shooting good.    

Attached Files

CB posted this 14 March 2010

Ken,

Great looking rifle!

What twist is your barrel?

Is the throating to SAAMI spec (15 degrees)?

If not, what is it?

Who is the barrel maker?

I have a Low Wall with a ruined 32 rimfire barrel and want to get it relined to 25-20 Win. I want a faster twist than the usual 1 in 15 inches in order to stabilize longer bullets. I see that you are getting good results with 120 grain spitzers so you must have a pretty fast twist. The only liner with a faster twist I can locate is one with 1 in 10 meant for the 25-35 which seem about right. I am still up in the air whether to reline or use a new barrel but I like the looks of the old barrel - on the outside.

Any information you can offer would help end my procrastination and get the rifle on the way to the gunsmith. Thanks.

John

Attached Files

KenK posted this 14 March 2010

John, it is a Pac-nor barrel. Five grooove, 1-12 twist.   I believe the chamber is to SAAMI specs.  I thought I wanted it to be throated with the 1-2 degree thoat but brother talked me out of it.  He consulted with Steve Garbe who is getting good results with a 25-20 and he also said to go with the standard chamber.  I don't know which would be better but obviously my set up is working pretty well.

With this throat you have to have a toggle type seater to breech seat bullets.

My brother really talks up their barrel liner work.  I'm not sure who they get the liners from.  If it was me and I had a nice looking original barrel I think that is what I would do.

In the interest of full disclosure I remind you that my brother is a partner in Wyoming Armory.

Attached Files

Close