Ruger #1S in 303 British

• 5.1K Views
  • Last Post 13 July 2014
6pt-sika posted this 10 March 2010

On castboolits a thread was started about one of the distributers in Canada getting a special run of Ruger #1S's in 303 Brit !

Someone also said something about Lipsey's maybe having a special run .

So I called my friendly salesperson at Lipsey's yesterday about the new Ruger #1B in 264 WIN MAG . And while I had her on the phone I got the scoop on the #1S in 303 !

Seems Ruger IS going to make the rifle and it is “supposed” to be a Ruger catalog item now !

Think I just may have to get one of those . Maybe not for castboolits but atleast get one for our Ruger #1 accumulation !

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 11 March 2010

When I was with the company in the middle 1980s they made a small run of less than a hundred No.3 carbines chambered in .303 Brit. These guns had plain varnished birch stocks and dull matte finish for a Canadian distributor who sold them to Indians and eskimos. They had 20 inch normal .30 cal. barrels on them and shot really well with 180-grain CIL softpoints.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
6pt-sika posted this 11 March 2010

They're bringing the 264 WIN MAG back out which I think I'll have to have one of !

But this 303 Brit round I think would be kinda neat in the 1S with a 22” pipe . Just wish Nosler made a Ballistic Tip or Hornady made a SST for it !

Attached Files

Canuck Bob posted this 27 April 2010

I've ordered one here in Canada, Clay at http://www.prophetriver.com/ is the Canadian dealer involved.

Just a note I understand the configuration will be the 1A Light Sporter. Did Lypseys specify the 1S?

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 28 April 2010

ED: Ruger used .30cal barrels! How did jacketed .312's go down them safely!?

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 28 April 2010

Canuck Bob wrote: I've ordered one here in Canada, Clay at http://www.prophetriver.com/>http://www.prophetriver.com/ is the Canadian dealer involved.

Just a note I understand the configuration will be the 1A Light Sporter. Did Lypseys specify the 1S? I don't think she specified which it would be actually . But 1A or 1S I think I may have to have one !

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 28 April 2010

Sweet sounding rig but for those that buy one for safety sake slug the barrel and see if the groove is .308 or .311-.312 and if it is .308 DON'T use traditional .303 bullets in it.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 29 April 2010

Actually Jeff, when I was at Ruger I had pressure barrels made with the standard .312 groove and also with .308 groove diameter and tested them extensively with a variety of UK, Cdn. and US .303 military and sporting ammunition.

Using the SAAMI and CIP dimensioned sporting chambers, NOT the sloppy WWII military “trench” chamber, the pressure rise with the tighter groove diameter did not appreciably exceed the sample pressure standard deviation, the difference was about +2,500-3,000 cup.  While the reference ammunition used for the pressure test calibration was somewhat higher than normal, the differences observed were within permitted statistical limits. The corrected sample averages were in the upper range of Cdn. military standards and well within the design limits of the Ruger No. 1 and of sound No. 4 rifles which are properly set up.

My Cdn. Long Branch custom No. 4 has a hammer forged Heym barrel having the normal 7.62 NATO rifling form and dimensions, but was chambered with a .303 British pressure barrel reamer. It handles ordinary UK and Cdn. .303 Mk.VII ball and MkVIIIz ammunition just fine, as well as the Privi Paritsan with no hard bolt opening or high pressure signs. Reloading case life is also quite good.  The rifle has about 3,500 rounds on it and headspace has been maintained, I haven't had to swap a bolt head.

In my handloads I use published data from the Speer No. 13 and normal Remington, Sierra or Speer .303 bullets and velocities agree with published data. Several friends had similar custom No.4s made on Long Branch or Savage actions about the same time and there have been no pleasant surprises.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Canuck Bob posted this 05 May 2010

It has been confirmed the barrel will be 311.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 21 May 2010

Haven't heard from Lisey's on the 303 !

I did however get my hands on a Ruger #1B in 264 WIN MAG .

Attached Files

rollmyown posted this 11 June 2010

It appears we are getting some of that run in Australia too. Rebel Gun Works is advertising them . To secure one a deposit must be paid. Rifles will be available early 2011.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 20 July 2010

Hmmmm they've hit the market !

I've seen two of the Ruger #1A's in 303 British on Gunbroker for sale .

Attached Files

hrafknel posted this 08 July 2014

For those with an itch, Davidson's (Galleryofguns.com) has 14 Ruger 1A listed in .303 British. My rifle being shipped has a 134 prefix serial number. According to Ruger's web page this indicates the receiver was made in 2014.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 08 July 2014

I dont have a 303 anymore but do have 60-70 new never fired WIN.   pieces of brass all ready to load I would trade for new brass in 30-30, 762x54R or other I can use if it helps anyone out as all brass is hard to find here in ID. PM me.  GP

Attached Files

offhand35 posted this 08 July 2014

The Ruger No. 1A that I had bought new in Oct. of 2012 and just recently sold on Gunborker (for financial reasons) slugged at .301/.313. Shot .312 Hornady jacketed 1” or less at 100yds, and the same with the Lee C312-180-1R wtih AA5744.

Attached Files

offhand35 posted this 08 July 2014

hrafknel wrote: For those with an itch, Davidson's (Galleryofguns.com) has 14 Ruger 1A listed in .303 British. My rifle being shipped has a 134 prefix serial number. According to Ruger's web page this indicates the receiver was made in 2014.

Ummm, the No. 1A that I had ordered and purchased in Oct. of 2012 was s/n'd 134-307xx I am not too sure how reliable that info is.

Attached Files

hrafknel posted this 13 July 2014

Just checked my No. 1 in .405 Winchester, it's serial number series starts with 134*150xx and was bought in December of 2006. So much for Ruger's web page for establishing a NO 1 birthday.

Attached Files

Close