Bullet drop at 200 yds

• 1.6K Views
  • Last Post 26 April 2010
Pete Voss posted this 22 April 2010

I plan to shoot my first reduced course HP match on Saturday with cast bullets. I'll be shooting my '03 Springfield with a receiver sight--the load is the Ed Harris-recommended 16g of 2400 behind the 311284. I haven't been able to sight in at 200 yds. How much drop can I expect to correct for if I'm sighted in at 100 yds? I figure I can shoot my two sighters in the offhand stage from the prone position and get in the ball park. Doing the math I find that 1/16” (.062) of elevation will move the impact about 16” at 200 yds. Would this be about right?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billwnr posted this 22 April 2010

7 minutes is what I use for my scope. I'd think it should be the same for a peep sight

Attached Files

Wally Enga posted this 23 April 2010

Hi Pete

Bill has that pretty close with 7 MOA or 14 inches up from 100 Yds.

Your load of 16.0 gns of 2400 with the heavy 311284 bullet may need just a little more as that is probably coming out at only 1450 fps or and may need closer to 9 MOA or 18 inches up.

The number of MOA or clicks up will be somewhat dependent on the spacing between your rear sight and front sight --- the greater the distance between them --- the more clicks up will be required.

Wally

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 23 April 2010

I shoot 16.5 grains of 2400 and a 204 grain bullet.  It's similar to what Pete's using.

Attached Files

Pete Voss posted this 23 April 2010

Thanks, Wally and Bill--I really appreciate your sage advice. Will post the results of this match tommorow if it's not too embarassing. I'm no neophyte at HP--shot the mouse gun for some years with the Army Reserve team, but went through a phase where golf was all-consuming. Finally realized I missed shooting, so now I'm back, albeit with cast bullets and mild loads. Pete

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 25 April 2010

It's all fun. Don't worry about being embarrassed.

Attached Files

Wally Enga posted this 25 April 2010

Pete Voss wrote: Thanks, Wally and Bill--I really appreciate your sage advice. Will post the results of this match tommorow if it's not too embarassing. I'm no neophyte at HP--shot the mouse gun for some years with the Army Reserve team, but went through a phase where golf was all-consuming. Finally realized I missed shooting, so now I'm back, albeit with cast bullets and mild loads. Pete  

"Golf"  --- I have always believed that golf courses were an incredible misuse of valuable real estate that could be better utilized as rifle / pistol ranges.  :P

Wally

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 26 April 2010

Wally, you can't shoot the golfers. Besides, it would be too easy. But I do know how you feel. A few decades ago they put in a golf course where I used to go ride my horse, Diesel. For a while I'd still go, tearing up the greens romping him around, getting chased by golfcarts. Golfcarts! Then the sheriff got a helicopter, had to quit. Long before I came along it was a popular spot for teenagers to go park, got the nickname Cherry Island. It stuck, that's what the idiots named the golf course!

Attached Files

JSH posted this 26 April 2010

Ditto Wally. I worked on a golf course through high school. I see it about the same way. A place married men could bring their “secratary” too and drive around and drink beer. I found out what “cougars” were way before the lable was ever put on them. Some of the women were worse than the men. jeff

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 26 April 2010

One thing that can be said about golfing, it teaches range estimation better than any other sport. The best field shooters I've ever met were also golfers.

Attached Files

Pete Voss posted this 26 April 2010

Thanks, Dollar Bill--at least somebody recognizes that golf has some value. I still play--it's something the wife and I can do together. As to Saturday's match--I shot a 433 (50 shots) and had to eat a couple of rounds in rapid sitting. Got to work on my technique some with dummy rounds. High point of the day--a 92 in rapid prone. I was mildly pleased. My immediate goal--a 450, then maybe 475 or so is possible.

Attached Files

Close