Bird shot

• 4.6K Views
  • Last Post 02 July 2010
johnboy11171 posted this 26 June 2010

Does anyone make a mold to make your own bird shot? If not what could I use to make my own shot?

Thank you

John:coonskin:

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
jimkim posted this 26 June 2010

Have you seen a Littleton shot Maker? http://www.littletonshotmaker.com/>http://www.littletonshotmaker.com/

Attached Files

Changeling posted this 27 June 2010

johnboy11171 wrote: Does anyone make a mold to make your own bird shot? If not what could I use to make my own shot?

Thank you

John:coonskin:   I'm sure someone does but why would you want to?  It would probably cost you 10 times more than just buying the shot already made, and the manufacturers will be better. Did you ask your question correctly ?

Attached Files

johnboy11171 posted this 27 June 2010

Yes I asked correctly. I have access to lead wheel wieghts.My friend works at a tire shop so I can get all the lead I need for free.This shells are going to be used at our local turkey shoot fund raiser.

Attached Files

raytear posted this 27 June 2010

"Bird shot” is usually made by pouring molten lead thru a sieve or screen in the top of a shot tower. That breaks the liquid into droplets that cool and harden on their way to falling into a catchment in the bottom of the tower.

I suspect trying to cast shot much smaller that, about .20 caliber--my estimate--would be a difficult undertaking and in any case would give spheres with a flat side. Flat-sided shot are NOT conducive to good patterns.

I have read about market hunters of old who cast shot the size of “swan drops". I have no idea what size that might be in the modern number sizing scheme. Perhaps #4 buck?

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 27 June 2010

Swan is the British # for what we call buck shot and most old timers still know it as swan or SSG swan shot! in real old days....one could not afford the premade round shot so they poured long strips of lead that were cut into small square chunks and rolled between two steel plates to round it out and .......I have to agree if you don't want to spend the money on a shot tower then it is not worth the effort......just MHO Jonathan

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 27 June 2010

as a side note maybe the local gun store would trade ingots of your W.W lead for bags of shot?? just a thought!!:coffee

Attached Files

Changeling posted this 28 June 2010

1kshooter wrote: as a side note maybe the local gun store would trade ingots of your W.W lead for bags of shot?? just a thought!!:coffee

Now that is a really good idea.  Just be sure that you tell the owner it is for a fund raiser, heck he might even cut you a deal, worth a try!

Attached Files

johnboy11171 posted this 28 June 2010

If there was a Gun Shop in my area that had shot for sell I might do that.All the ones around here only sell rifle and pistol reloading items.they tell me it is to much of a hassle to carry shot gun reloading items.This is why I want to make my own. Thank everyone for there help.

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 28 June 2010

if they carry rifle and handgun reloading stuff they could order the shot for you and may still be willing to trade with you?!?!

Attached Files

johnboy11171 posted this 29 June 2010

I have asked and they do not want to order anything for shotgun reloading.

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 30 June 2010

Hey Johnboy

For your situation, a trip to Walmart will get the shells you need. I make shot a few times a year in fairly large quantities. Unfortunately, getting the Littleton shot maker is only the first step, also the easiest, in the process. Even with a gang mould of six cavities and persisting effort, you will be working for about forty seven cents a day. It takes around a thousand number seven and a half shot for one shell. There are a couple of threads here on shot making, look them up. For the investments made, one must consume quite a large amount of shot for it to work out.                                      

Save the wheel weights for bullet casting.                          

Roy                                                                                                        

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 30 June 2010

I think that Gunarea is bang on the mark with his coments......$30.00 for a 100 rounds is right on the mark and is what we use at all of our Shriner's and Masonic lodge turkey shoots....fact is if they are store bought no one questions the loading and fowl play is ruled out ....second benefit is that liability is with the ammo manufacture and not you personally.....unless you have 5-6 million kicking around for a real good defence lawyer and possible  liability claims made against you personally ....I would get the store bought stuff!

just my H.O

Jonathan

Attached Files

Lillard posted this 01 July 2010

Jim Stewarts Better Shot Maker. 

His number is 256-587-0107.

I have his Black Max model it will drop about 100 pounds of 7.5 an hr. it is a very good machine.

LILLARD

Attached Files

johnboy11171 posted this 02 July 2010

Thank you Lillard.

Attached Files

Close