311259 200G HUDSON BULLET

• 4.3K Views
  • Last Post 31 October 2010
DAMRON G posted this 25 September 2010

Picked this up at a CBA match today.Body is .310,nose.301 and .325 “stop ring"

Ideal info-

"This bullet was designed by Dr. W. G. HUDSON  to take the place of the bullet 308256 for chambers of .30-40 Krag that are found to be a trifle larger just beyond the end of the shell . To make a sure gas check  the band “C” was made larger (.325") and without taper"

Always wanted to try this one..I was surprised to find the ring so large on this one.I had the 308256 and its band was only .318. Wonder how it will work in my Mosin Nagants!

anyone shot this one?

George

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Brodie posted this 25 September 2010

George;  With your tenacity I''m sure that you will find a way to make it work.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 25 September 2010

Old Coot wrote: George;  With your tenacity I''m sure that you will find a way to make it work. Do you mean idiocy<G> i was wondering if it would be necessary to size the larger band down a bit.

George

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 26 September 2010

Seated one into my 91-30 Russian.It tapered the first band down to .317 at ft and still was .325 at the case neck. It really pushed it tight against the end of the case(pic shown).Another dummy made for a worn lead 91-30 and it stuck out abut 1/8"more before engaging(no pic)

I wont shoot any until middle of the week so we will see what happens.

George

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 26 September 2010

George,

I have been looking for one of these ring moulds for a couple a years to write an article on for the Fouling Shot.

Could I borrow it for a while when you are done with it?

Ric

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 26 September 2010

I expect to see some small groups. That might be your dream bullet since you like pb and reloading at the bench. Maybe try some Trailboss. Congratulations on scoring a cool mold.

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 26 September 2010

RicinYakima wrote: George,

I have been looking for one of these ring moulds for a couple a years to write an article on for the Fouling Shot.

Could I borrow it for a while when you are done with it?

Ric sure Ric, since i dont have a Krag to shoot them in anyhow.i will cast 200 or so for myself and drop it of at Joe's.

George

Attached Files

John Boy posted this 26 September 2010

George, Dr Hudson was an advocate of 'bearing surface', the reason for the wide GG bands.  Prior to his 30 cal for the Krag, he shot primarily the 38-55 and 32-40.  Here's the 375300 design he had Ideal make. It's 1.185” with a 378 base and from the base is tapered to the driving band.  Weighs 315 to 318 depending on alloy .  He also designed the 375192 for breech seating with a 381 base - same profile as the 375300 His profile design for the 319273 (breech seating bullet) is the same as his 30 and 38 caliber moulds

I have bullets from the 375300 mould, have shot them and they are accurate on steel to 500 meters with black powder reloads with a dry felt on top of a jute wad

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 27 September 2010

John Boy wrote: George, Dr Hudson was an advocate of 'bearing surface', the reason for the wide GG bands.  Prior to his 30 cal for the Krag, he shot primarily the 38-55 and 32-40.  Here's the 375300 design he had Ideal make. It's 1.185” with a 378 base and from the base is tapered to the driving band.  Weighs 315 to 318 depending on alloy .  He also designed the 375192 for breech seating with a 381 base - same profile as the 375300 His profile design for the 319273 (breech seating bullet) is the same as his 30 and 38 caliber moulds

I have bullets from the 375300 mould, have shot them and they are accurate on steel to 500 meters with black powder reloads with a dry felt on top of a jute wad

I have a couple base band bullets and tapered/stepped bullets for 30 cal,but this forward “Stop Ring” thing is new to me to experiment with.i am curious to test the theory.

Interesting 375300 bullet you have ,probably about as common as the 311259.

George

Attached Files

John Boy posted this 28 September 2010

Interesting 375300 bullet you have ,probably about as common as the 311259. George, I know the existence of only one Ideal 375300 out-of-production mould that any collectors have.  And that collector was gracious to lend me his mould to cast the bullets with it

My intent is to have a custom mould made from the bullets

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 28 September 2010

"My intent is to have a custom mould made from the bullets"

I had Veral Smith of LBT make me my version of the ideal 311467 and he did a great job.It will make you sick,but i had a Bud Welsh copy of that(375300) bullet i sold last year for $60

If this 'stop ring' thing works I'll have Erik Ohlen add one to another PB bullet i have with his CNC mill.You should try this guy for custom mold alterations.

George

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 03 October 2010

Loaded and shot 15 in my Mosin 91-30 with 15X scope.Hand lubed and seated  so the stop ring was against the neck.The ring jams into the the throat and bolt closing it snug,but not super hard and the round will still extract without de-bulleting.Load was 11.0 of Trail Boss,a load that has shot plain base bullets very well in this rifle before.

First shot was very low so i raised up and shot 5.I then fired another 5 and finally the last four.As the groups progressed they seemed to get more “vertical” Upon examining the bore i saw a very light lead streaking into the first 2” or so  that a brass brush easily removed.Also shot 5 with the ring sized out and it was 1-3/4” for 5. A Modern Bond 190g pointed plain base and the NEI #72 without GC shoot a bit better but we will see what will come of this “ring thing” Too few shots for any real conclusions but its a start.

George

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 10 October 2010

Same load as above.Loaded 50 to shoot,but forgot the cleaning rod to scrape out acquired leading.Load shot good for first group then had a right shot on group #2(shot #5) and a low one on the last one.As before a  bit of leading the first 3 or so inches of the throat.In fairness the leading could be the .301 nose and .311 body being smaller than i usually shoot in the gun.

George

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 11 October 2010

George, what alloy did you use? And were they heat treated?

I recall there was an article in the Fouling Shot about scraping the inside of a mold to enlarge certain sections, usually the bore riding nose. But I may try this if I have a mold that is suitable. It also seems to me you would want to do a chamber cast and see what this area really looks like.

I will chamber cast my new Krag and then check the various bullets made by each mold. Darn, another project!

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 11 October 2010

Clod Hopper wrote: George, what alloy did you use? And were they heat treated?

I recall there was an article in the Fouling Shot about scraping the inside of a mold to enlarge certain sections, usually the bore riding nose. But I may try this if I have a mold that is suitable. It also seems to me you would want to do a chamber cast and see what this area really looks like.

I will chamber cast my new Krag and then check the various bullets made by each mold. Darn, another project! I have that article about scraping noses(i think by Veral Smith) but have gone to EriK Ohlen for opening up bands and such.The alloy is indoor range scrap and WW and not heat treated.The BHN is tested at 13.I dont do chamber casts anymore for bullet fit because when i did i passed up bullets that eventually shot well. Also i am just plain lazy and like to find out what i can get away with.(i know that i should though)My good bore Russian Mosin's shoot .311- .313 bullets well .I believe if you keep the velocity about 1200(PB bullets) and the body is large and long enough the nose doesn't have to ride at all.

George

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 11 October 2010

By “stop ring” are you'll refering to the large top driving band ,ie “scraper band"just below the “trash catcher” grove ??

Sir Damon,:dude: with Soooo many projects you should sell,rent or trade with me on thet Lee GB 6 Cav. 311-155 mold .

:coffeeMust be that 3rd cup this AM

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 11 October 2010

Wayne S wrote: By “stop ring” are you'll refering to the large top driving band ,ie “scraper band"just below the “trash catcher” grove ??

Sir Damon,:dude: with Soooo many projects you should sell,rent or trade with me on thet Lee GB 6 Cav. 311-155 mold .

:coffeeMust be that 3rd cup this AM Actually the mold is one off my favorites.i have you in line if i decide to get rid of it.Ranch Dog has his .312 6 cav 165g in stock again.

Yes it the top band i am referring to.

George

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 17 October 2010

More shooting the 311259 today.Sized the  to .321 and brushed the bore between 5 shot groups.Then i shot some with the band sized out.Load was 11.0 Trail Boss and a Fed LP primer in an unmodified stock and bedding 91-30 with 15X scope.Did not scrub the bore with the unbanded bullet as it didn't seem to leave a cruddy throat.

first pic is the banded bullet.

George

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 17 October 2010

Pic of un-banded bullet (upper left group is 4 shots with the banded bullet I had left)

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 31 October 2010

Took the bullet and ran it into a die to taper the ft band from .314 @ the ft of the bullet to .320 at the rear.Body as cast is .310 and nose is .301.This time i did the lee alox thing.Bullet shot very well and didn't have to clean at all between groups.Not certain if  it was the Alox on all the bullet or the tapered band.Another test will tell.

first lucky group shown with bullet. Its 5/8"!

Load-

Fed LP primer,11.0 T-Boss shot with a 91-30 Russian 7.62 x 54  with 15x scope   with unmodified stock and bedding.

George

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 31 October 2010

All 4 groups at 100.The first fouling shot (taped over) went wild.I was aiming at  the center bottom of the paper.Target #3 was strange as the first 4 dropped low and #5 came back up where it “shuld” be.Group #4 was back at the standard point of impact. All 4 groups shot in 15-20 minutes with no cleaning in 45 deg slightly gusty weather.

George

Attached Files

Close