New oddball load thread

• 8.8K Views
  • Last Post 16 April 2017
tturner53 posted this 03 November 2010

There was a thread a while back about oddball loads but I can't find it now. So I'm starting over with this one, not a load exactly but an idea for one. Today I found out by accident that a .40 S&W case fits very nicely inside a .444 case. The .40 case. measures about .428".  It weighs about 65 gr. I'm thinking of pouring some lead in the .40 case, see what it weighs. Might have a serious jacketed wadcutter. IF I do this in my H&R .444 I will use a very light charge and maybe some kind of wad. Whaddaya think? Anybody remember that old thread? There was some interesting stuff there.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
jhrosier posted this 04 November 2010

There are a couple of guys on another well known cast bullets forum who are swaging .44 mag bullets, using .40s for jackets.

Jack

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 04 November 2010

I make 240gr. to 260gr. 44 cal. bullets for my 44 Rem Mag from 40 cal brass in a 44 cal swaging die. They work very well. I'm sure you could just pour in lead and make a wad cutter. With the swage I can make a round tip on the bullet just like the factorys. 10 Rem. Mag would be a heaver bullet.  I also make 35 cal bullets from 30 carbine brass and 22 cal bullets from empty 22 rim fire. I'm sure there are other sizes.

Attached Files

CB posted this 04 November 2010

I have a friend who makes jacketed bullets for his 375 H&H from 222, 223 case. He forms them in a die to make pointed bullets and claims they work great.

John

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 04 November 2010

cut off 5.7x28 cases make good 30 cal bullets too. i have a tool for making the 44 mag cases from 40 s&w's and a notching set up to cut the brass cases to make them open better. the die also works to hollowpoint regular cast bullets and will reform others into notched/hollowpointed rounds.

i have also flaired out a 40 case and poured a small amount of lead into the nose and used them in 45 colt cases for fun rounds, kills squirrels too.

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 18 January 2011

I tried the lead poured into a .40 case a good while back. Don't remember any details, but I decided it was too much like work.

I have a good wacky load for you. Put 4 grains of red dot in .45 Colt case, place a 155 grain SWC upside down in, then put another on top. This is for Rugers only. Shoots to the sights of my .45 Vaquero, two holes in the target and I don't worry about recochets or over penetration. You can also use round balls. Needless to say these are not in any loading manual and will put your eye out! Don't push them in too far!!! Make sure the second one pushes the bottom one in. My purpose was to create a low recoil, low velocity load for shooting skunks in the garage,or plinking, but without sooty cases. It worked.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 19 January 2011

Is this the thread you're referring to, Tim?

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=4394&forum_id=50>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=4394&forumid=50

Attached Files

Popgunner posted this 24 December 2011

So hows this for a weird load?

I had spent shotgun primers piling up on the bench so I loaded up a few as bullets in some 32 S&W long cases. 2 grains bullseye wide part of primer to the rear & a little scrap of paper to hold the spent primer/bullet in place. Little to no recoil but surprising short distance accuracy. Gets rid of spent shotgun primers anyway. I shoot em out of a H&R 732.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 25 December 2011

I loaded a lot of different things in the 458 Win.  Two remco shot caps for the 45 Colt over 12 gr Unique, .459 round ball ov3er 3 of Bullseye, 250 gr 45 colt bullets unsized over 5 gr. Unique.  The old 300 gr. 1/2 jacket with 2400  and COW to the bullet base (shot rather well I think it ws 45 gr. but can't remember)Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 25 December 2011

My latest project was 45 ACP shotshells from 308 cases and .410 wads. At 15 feet they are good enough for small pests. And they shoot semi-auto and are reloadable.

Attached Files

cptuap posted this 25 December 2011

Not so oddball 99, the military had 45ACP shot cartridges for survival kits but they would not cycle the slide. Single shot only. You have done better if yours shoot semi- auto. Congrats! Cp

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 03 February 2012

I resurected an old project from the back of the box. A JC Higgins 16 ga bolt action shotgun I was given. It's old enough it doesn't have a serial number, not that I can find anyway. The magazine tube and feed parts were gone. Now I'm going to make a trunk gun out of it as a single shot. I traded for some Lee 12 ga 1 oz. slugs and was happy to find they are a nice snug slip fit in a WW plastic 16 ga. hull. They are way too big to fit in a plastic wad, so I just cut the petals off some wads and just used the bases. Having a bunch of old WW540 on hand I used a charge from a Winchester load guide (old) for a 1 oz shot load for the 16. Then a square of TP to bring up the wad column and then the slug. Fired 5 today, offhand. Two at 25 yds. hit close to point of aim with the bead sight and 3 shots at 50 yds. would have all been in the black on a B21. And no leading of the bore even though no lube. Next up is buckshot. I'm thinking of it as a modern Brown Bess, may even try some black powder loads. I have an old Mequon(Lee) loading kit that works great with a small hammer.  The buttplate is missing too, maybe I'll just checker it. Always thought that looked cool, or maybe a skeleton buttplate. It crossed my mind to spray paint it black but the plain walnut stock is in very good shape, solid as heck, and the bluing is still like new, old school style blue. You'll really think I'm goofy but I may dress it up to imitate an old fusil or Indian trade gun.

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 03 February 2012

I'll cut some lead wire cores and run a 40 cal case into my 44 swage die and see if it works for me. Then I'll run a cannelure grove and see how they come out. Interesting project.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 04 February 2012

A formidable end of days civilian defense load for a 37mm flair launcher uses a 35mm film canister top for an over powder wad and then a plywood wad with a split finger shot cup made from plastic milk cartons. 100 grains of pyrodex will launch 3 ounces of roofing nails in a broad sweeping pattern . GI surplus fletchettes are even more useful in this home made “Beehive” round. The roofing nails won't but the fletchettes will defeat the most modern ceramic body armor at 50 yards.

Gary

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
CB posted this 04 February 2012

You can load 38 cal Speer shot capsules with 2 32 cal bullets nose first, without the cap. Then load them in 38 or 357 cases base first. I'll let you do your own load development on this one since it's so unusual. The capsule breaks apart as soon as it leaves the barrel, and you get two really close holes in your target. I've tried it out to 25 yards, and the accuracy was pretty impressive. You can also do this with 32 cal round balls, or buckshot.

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 04 February 2012

32 acp cases will work in the 357 same as the 40 will in a 44,or with some work in the 45. 9mm cases work in a 40 cal. gonna look at using some 9 or 380's in my 375 win also. if i can pick it up off the ground i'll consider it a win if i can use it.

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 06 June 2012

cptuap wrote: Not so oddball 99, the military had 45ACP shot cartridges for survival kits but they would not cycle the slide. Single shot only. You have done better if yours shoot semi- auto. Congrats! Cp Have you ever used them in a reolver?

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 07 June 2012

I never have. No 45 revolver. They should work if they work in a 1911.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 08 June 2012

Not the oddest but the most difficult. I formed 401 Herter's power mag cases from 30-30's and sized .41 mag cast bullets to .401. The cases needed the rims turned down. I filed them.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 08 June 2012

You CAN pour lead into the .40 case (or others), BUT air will get trapped and the weights will be all over the place. (No venting)

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 08 June 2012

The RCBS .45 shotshell die set was based on my design which was written up in American Rifleman years ago and reprinted in the NRA publication on the .45 automatic. 

The CCI-Speer shotshell is a bit different, but is a spinoff from that.

Neither is useable in revolvers because they cases back up solid against the recopil shield and bind the cylinder.

Photos are WW2 era M12 shotshell and Vietnam era box loaded by me at an “undisclosed location"

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Show More Posts
Close