ideal mold

• 3.8K Views
  • Last Post 21 November 2010
adrians posted this 08 November 2010

hi, i have a ideal mold #311403, on lymans mold chart it says it is 167grn ,now i have various lyman load books some older than me but i cant find that boolit in any 30.30,,308,,or 30.06 loads .

what is it for please help?:dude:

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 08 November 2010

This is the Harry Pope designed 30 caliber bullet for target shooting. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

thanks ric ,will it do o.k in a 308 at about 12--1300 fps? (or is this too fast ---too :hunt::taz::riflebr:slow ?)

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 08 November 2010

I only had 50 of these that a guy made for me, so didn't get to work with it very much. Nothing out of a Remington 03A3 (throat way too big), but shot OK from a Newton rifle with tight throat and seven lands and grooves. The only load I tried was 12 grains of Unique. Sorry, not much help. Ric

Attached Files

no ric that load of 12gr unique sound o.k in my lyman 49 edition it says for a 160grn pill 9.8 to 13 max and for a 173grn pill it is 10. to 13 max . so for a 167 naked maybe 10.5---11 grns might just be in the ballpark , who knows but i'll try it and see .thanks adrians. p.s it does not mention in any 30 cal load the 311403 design why is that ? they made the darn thing why no data ? i don't get it ,,just don't get it lol. have a great night :thinking::wtf:

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 08 November 2010

I shot quite a few last year or two.i actually shot two CBA matches with it.i settled on a velocity of 1200 or a bit less with bulls-eye or Unique.Works best finger seated loosely in the case neck and seated when the bolt is rammed home.

PM me your email and i will send you my data.

George

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 09 November 2010

1: They haven't made the mould in years.

2: It was never popular (had to play with it to make it shoot).

3: It's not gas checked.

4: Lyman has little, if any, interest in target bullets.

5: No one there every heard of Harry Pope.

6: There is no money to be made working up data for moulds they no longer make.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

adrians posted this 09 November 2010

damron pm sent

Attached Files

:thinking:i,ll bite ,"who is harry pope “?. and does that boolit disintegrate when it gets within 50yds of any kind of fur?. targets don't taste that good anyhoo lol

have a good day adrians:hunt::taz:

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 09 November 2010

Harry Pope (1861-1939?)was one of the greatest riflesmiths and barrel makers. A graduate of MIT and leading off hand and bench shooter he invented and/or deveoped many scope, rifle and reloading tools. A century ago, when shooting was the national sport, not team sports, his barrels were noted for exacting workmanship and accuracy. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

docbob posted this 09 November 2010

As usual, Ric's info is right on. I have a Stevens 44 rifle with a Pope type barrel but nothing on it but it's caliber, .38-55.so don't know it's origin. To own one of Pope's barrels was and is something, for sure.

Doc

Attached Files

As usual, Ric's info is right on. I have a Stevens 44 rifle with a Pope type barrel but nothing on it but it's caliber, .38-55.so don't know it's origin. To own one of Pope's barrels was and is something, for sure.

Doc

Attached Files

Doc

Attached Files

Doc

Attached Files

Doc

Attached Files

Doc

Attached Files

Doc

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 09 November 2010

If I'm not mistaken, Harry died in 1949. He didn't do much the last few years he was alive. I've always lusted after a rifle with one of his barrels. Sadly, I actually owned a Pope-Stevens 44 in .22RF once,and didn't know what I had. It wasn't marked as such on the barrel. The shallow rifling had me convinced it was worn out although it shot sweetly. I figured it wasn't long for the accuracy world so I horse traded it away. The guy I sold it to clued me in later on what I let get away.

That mold design is one which I keep an eye peeled for. I've always wanted to wring it out.

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 09 November 2010

"That mold design is one which I keep an eye peeled for. I've always wanted to wring it out."

i have had two of them,one without the reverse taper heel ( Lyman marked 311403) and one with the proper “reverse tapered” heel for finger seating in the 30-06 case neck.The reverse tapered(Ideal marked 308403) heel  shot quite a bit better than the newer one marked 311403.I never got the 311403 to shoot under 2-1/2” at 100 yards wile the 308403 will occasionally shoot MOA.

I'm not sure when they re-made the cherry,so some marked 311403 could be correct or maybe some marked 308403  have the new grind?You know how Lyman's designs vary.I have noticed the 311466 to have a fully cylindrical body in later versions while the earlier ones have a ft band reduced to .305 and shoot quite a bit better and cast at .312- .313 rather than .315+ the newer ones cast i had.

George

Attached Files

great info guys ,now can anyone give some pointers as to seating in maybe 308 ,(follow dimentions from reg 308 data???)

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 09 November 2010

Being that the bullet is mostly bore diameter you will  seat just the rear band in the neck and get decent engraving in the rifling.You will not be able to remove an unfired round without “de-bulleting"  due to the minimal neck tension.I think 7.0 of Bullseye (or 8 of Unique) a good place to start.Most of the data that was given for plain-base rifle bullets even in the older Ideal manuals was way to hot for good accuracy.It can be sloppy lubing the mostly undersized bullet in a sizing die. So smearing a light coat on with your fingers,Lee Liquid Alox tumbling or pan lubing is the way to go..Tell us how it goes.

George

Attached Files

ah ha! i just happen to have all of the above ,well i'll have to shoot a few of my other rounds off to get the brass but i don't see that causing me too much trouble ,man i wish i had a range in my back yard ,sometimes “city life” sucks!! so off to the fish and game range we go this weekend to acquire some brass . 8grn unique got it thanks and have a good night, your a wealth of info and i'm a big sponge soaking it all up.

Attached Files

c3d4b2 posted this 13 November 2010

Some Info On Pope

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2010/08/history-pope-rifle-barrels.html

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 13 November 2010

thanks for the link,good stuff.

George

Attached Files

c3d4b2 posted this 21 November 2010

FYI

There is a group buy in the process of being organized for a 308403 at Cast Boolits

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=87479

Attached Files

Close