Midsouth's special order 8mm mould

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 21 January 2011
Fg1 posted this 29 November 2010

Has anyone used one of the special order Lee moulds from Midsouth ? I was looking at dimentions on the schematic listed and it doesnt seem right . It shows the nose portion in front of forward driving band as 0.3245” ? For a bore riding nose shouldnt it be somewhere around 0.312” or tad larger ? That and body length with lube grooves looks to be around 0.090 ” too long  and would end up back behind neck. Am I missing something ?

I tried a production run 324175 Lee nose in bores of two 8mm barrels and it was a nice snug fit . It measures 0.3125 with #2 alloy on nose in front of forward band.

I am wanting a heavy wieght , but this doesnt look like it would fit the bore , being that much on the large size .

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 29 November 2010

I have that mold and it is a big bullet, intended I think for generous or shot out 8x57 Mausers. It will chamber as cast in a couple of my surplus rifles but may stick out a bit at the bottom of the neck. Due to some die issues I haven't got any real idea how it shoots yet. The nose on mine is .321". Too many projects going all at once.

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 29 November 2010

Thanks for info . That answers my question ! It wont work for me , too large of dia.

My Lee is .3125 in front of forward band and most of nose and is a snug fit in muzzle of both , actually 3 of my 8mm bores.

Dang ! Was a good price too !

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 30 November 2010

Fg1 wrote: Thanks for info . That answers my question ! It wont work for me , too large of dia.

My Lee is .3125 in front of forward band and most of nose and is a snug fit in muzzle of both , actually 3 of my 8mm bores.

Dang ! Was a good price too ! i also tried it in two or three 8mm's and it didn't shoot all that well.A friend ordered the RCBS special order 8mm mold and it barely casts .323! i will send you a few lyman 323378 245 g RN bullets and see how they do.I'll try to get some made within the week.Nose seems too small,but it has shot pretty well.And when shot into soft sand at 100 yards they mushroom to about ..500

George

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 30 November 2010

I looked a little closer at my 8mm Max bullets. They are .328 as cast, with a .321 nose like I said. These s**kers are over 1.25” long! My decapper broke, so the only thing I have loaded is 1940s Turkish brass refitted. I think they used to call this type of load 'Mexican Match' ammo. I pulled the bullets on the old split neck Turkish 190s that were cheaper than dirt a while back. Using original berdan corrosive primer intact I reload with a light charge of pistol powder seating the 8mm Max 'til the bolt will close with some resistance. It engraves on the lands.  It appears to stick into the basement a good 1/4". This is in an as issued Yugo M48. Haven't shot any yet, but I've read about people having good luck with them. (I've shot a lot of the split neck Turk ammo as is and have had no problems with it safetywise. Dirty as it gets though. In some guns there's misfires, others go bang everytime. I think it's a firing pin spring issue.)    EDIT; IIRC there's two Midsouth 8mm molds, the Special Order ones I mean. Mine is the Max. There's another one that's smaller, called a 'Karabiner' I think. Might work for you.

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 30 November 2010

Hey George thanks ! That is a heavy wieght !!

Attached Files

raytear posted this 30 November 2010

Fun things with 8mm's:   :riflebr:

I let a friend use my bullet puller to remove the FMJ 8mm slugs from some military stuff that he then replaced with jacketed 150 grain Hornadys.  He did not want the pulled bullets so gave them to me.  They have white/silver colored jackets rather than brass or copper colored.  I am told they are from machine gun ammo.  At any rate, they go about 198 grains and with a reduced charge of IMR 4350 or IMR 4064 (5% below Lyman's listed starting load for 185 grainers) they shoot to point of aim at 100 yds. with the issue rear sight bottomed out. Best of all, they shoot into about 2.5 to 3 inches---which is about as good as my presbyopia will allow me to hold with those sights. Not unpleasant to shoot either, with the reduced powder charge. Wish I had some more of those slugs!  Incidentally, the rifle is a Yugo M-1924.

My same M-1924, since modified with Brownell's flat-topped front sight, Williams aperture receiver sight and Timney trigger,  shoots Lee's 170 grain bullet cast from quenched wheelweights, gas checked and sized .325, into the same sized group with 27-29 grains of Rx7.

Attached Files

jimc posted this 01 December 2010

I bought one of those a few years back when the designed was first developed. Shoots pretty decent for me. If you wanna go waaaay out there experimenting, check this out: I ran a few through a .311 sizing die. It takes the check rebate off the bottom. It doesn't wipe out the lube grooves, but it sure narrows 'em down. I tried a few in a 1917 Eddystone and a Enfield MK III. It tok a little messin' around with seating depth and charge adjustment, but I actually got them to shoot half way decent. It was just something to try, that's all.

Attached Files

sabbatus posted this 16 January 2011

i have both of the molds mentioned, the 8mm max and the karabiner. they are definatly built for worn throats of the mausers. both of my molds throw heavy with ww lead. the max drops at 238 gr. the biggest issue with the max bullets is that it doesnt feed well from the magazine due to the size of the meplat and the length that it stick out there. I havent got to do alot of shooting yet with them but first outing have proved promising. i just need to find loads recommended for such heavy bullets

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 16 January 2011

I noticed the mold ads and literature for the two 8mm molds from Midsouth state they aren't for the M48 Yugos. IIRC these are shorter length actions than a standard 98. Single loading might work, I don't know if they're chambered the same as other surplus 8x57s.

Attached Files

adrians posted this 21 January 2011

must try the karabiner, sounds interesting, and will be an excuse to buy a new mold (like i need an excuse!). i have the lee 323, lyman 323470 and the 320366(it must have been re-numbered cos it drops at .325.5/185grns). and i'm in on the 323471 gb on another forum. so thats plenty excuse to add the karabiner to my 8mm's. have a great night ,,,adrians.:hunt::taz::riflebr:

Attached Files

Close