Remington 799 in 22 Hornet

• 5.2K Views
  • Last Post 28 August 2011
JetMech posted this 19 December 2010

Does anyone have any experience with one of these? I'm looking for a bolt gun in 22 Hornet and after looking at whats available, these look good. Mini-mauser action at a good price, even though they only sold them for 2 years. I wonder why?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Fg1 posted this 19 December 2010

I had one several years ago “MarkX Mini-Mauser” in .223 and it shot very good using jacketed . I never got around to cast in it . Traded off in a weak moment . I have an new action now that will be a 6.5mm TCU soon as I round up a reamer . Charles Dailey marketed them also for some time .

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 19 December 2010

After learning a few things I would be very careful about American made 22 Hornets.

Here is why. The SAAMI chamber in them is NOT so great. Just why SAAMI made the 22 Hornet chamber so large is a wonder. All US made rifles use this spec for its chambers so far is I know. In my opinion it does not do the little round justice. Most rounds that are short enough to work through the mag are not long enough to put the bullet into contact with the rifling. Accuracy can be had single loading the handloads with the bullets seated out.

The Europe made DZ shoot well out of the box. This, in part is because the DZ's do not adhere to the SAAMI spec. chamber.

Sadly, the American made rifles do not shoot as well as the DZ and others made to non-SAAMI standards if feeding through the mag and used as a repeater is desired. The SAMMI chamber is just too large/long.

I still have a Ruger. It can shoot hand loads, both jacket and cast accurately enough but handloaded rounds need to be single loaded into the rifle because of the long length of the loaded round. Too bad about this. I DO like to buy American made rifles.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 19 December 2010

Hi Bill, Merry Christmas!  I had one of those mini Mausers 20 yrs. ago and it was the most accurate rifle I've ever owned, period. Five shots on a dime at 100 from a very small light rifle using Winchester factory hollow points.  It was a .223. 'Sorry' is an understatement regarding letting it go. That said, I now have a new Savage M40 .22 Hornet single shot that is a tackdriver. They are reasonably priced, have the Accutrigger and are more of a bench gun than a walker having a semi heavy barrel and a bench type laminated stock. The bluing on the gun is very nice old school workmanship.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 20 December 2010

Merry Christmas to you and everyone else, Tim! I'm looking at the Savage also. I'd really like an older gun, maybe a Savage 342, but older bolt guns in 22 Hornet are hard to find unless you want to pay a furtune, which I don't want.

You have an interesting observation there, rmrix. I would probably single load anyway.

I'm psyched about casting for a cartridge where I can get 100+ bullets/pound versus the 10-20 I get with my current rifles and handguns. I know there's a whole set of new challenges with the 22 calibers.

Attached Files

Haretwigger posted this 20 December 2010

I know you said a bolt rifle, but for a cheap walking around rifle I'm pleased with my Handi-Rifle in the Hornet chambering. The new guns are 9-twist, mine is a 12- twist and My favorite load is the RCBS-55 cast from 5WW +2 linotype AC over 12gr AA1680 and small pistol primer. This will shoot in an honest 1-1/8 @ 100 yds if the wind cooperates. Gonna hollowpoint it soon.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 20 December 2010

Ditto. My H&R Hornet with a 9” twist is a good shooter too. Doesn't get much use now that I got the Savage, but it is truly handy, very light and compact with a youth synthetic buttstock, and it has iron sights.

Attached Files

Haretwigger posted this 20 December 2010

I just got off Savage's site and they don't show the model 40 anywhere.They show the model 25 in a Hornet and a walkabout with a composite stock. But I am really excited that they are making the walkabout in the 222 Rem!!! Remember, these will have the accu-trigger, I can't wait to see the reviews on the Deuce.

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 21 December 2010

Dollar Bill you need to get one of those new Savages and report back, looks like the way to go myself. and ditto on the 100+ bullets and 100+ shots per pound of powder. There is a postal going on over on the Cast-Boolit forum for 22 cast only. Since I pickup up a 225415 recently I decided what the heck give it a try. They really are not that bad to cast not as bad as I though they would be anyway. I'm using lino and it does take longer to get the mold up to temps. but once there it cast just fine. Shoot pretty dang good too as long as the wind doesn't surprise you, that can ruin a group real quick.

Attached Files

smokiejoe posted this 21 December 2010

I got the Sav.25- Hornet 3 years ago, It shot 25 in. to the left, I sent it back and then it shot 20 in. to the right, I put on the Z rings and got it so I have a little bit of adjustment left. Just not happy with it. Still have it and going to play with it this summer, got on a group buy for a 37 gr. bullet and will try it.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 22 December 2010

smokiejoe,

It sounds like the barrel threads were not cut concentric with the bore, and when you sent it back, they set back the barrel 180 degrees. I'd send it back again, after an email to someone up the food chain at Savage. They really should rebarrel that for you at no charge.

Attached Files

porkchop bob posted this 12 August 2011

Dollar Bill wrote: Does anyone have any experience with one of these? I'm looking for a bolt gun in 22 Hornet and after looking at whats available, these look good. Mini-mauser action at a good price, even though they only sold them for 2 years. I wonder why? I have a Remington 799 in 22-Hornet. It is made overseas by Zastava Arms. The rifle came NIB with a single magazine. I have tried to locate a spare and and can not find a single one in USA or anywhere for that matter. I have sent emails to Zastava Arms - no reply. The pistol range I use once allowed me to shot 22-Hornet (Ruger #3) downloaded to 1900 FPS. Their insurance review stopped that a week before my 799 was received. It will be another month before I can schedule a trip to the outdoor range. I will post my findings. In hindsight I should have spent the extra and purchased the CZ rifle in 22-Hornet. If magazines are not available I am thinking spare parts and repair service will also be unavailable.

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 13 August 2011

I realize this post was re-vived, BUT that may be a good thing. I wonder if anybody got this sorted out. D Bill? I am weighing options and a Hornet or similiar is on the list. ANYONE TRY A SAVAGE 25?

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 28 August 2011

Gone to the range this morning, shooting a Contender in 22 Hornet .>

Attached Files

Close