old primers

• 2.3K Views
  • Last Post 28 January 2011
ralphtaff posted this 09 January 2011

here we go again the power went off twice and i did not finish this post.

I have 5,000 plus old primers that have been in stoeage for 17 years. they were outside in a shop with no heat so it got real cold,below frezzing. they were in the original cardboard box,with a steel mold,and bare steel blocks inside of a mettal box no rust on anything in the box. are the primers still good?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
LWesthoff posted this 09 January 2011

If they were mine, I'd prime a few cases (no powder - no bullet - just primed cases) and fire 'em. If they seem to give a good vigorous bang, I'd go ahead and use them for plinking and maybe practice, but NOT for hunting or match shooting.

Let us know if they work.

Wes

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 09 January 2011

i can not answer your question BUT i have about 1000 large pistol primers that were given to me almost 20 years ago. they are cci and in the plastic trays and cardboard sleve. i thought i would try them this past summer as i had the same question you did. so i loaded them in some 30-40 Kraig brass. (i know pistol primers in a rifle) well the load was red dot and unique (not together) with a 200gr cast bullet. about 50% of them blew out around the primer a pin hole and gas leakage where the rim of the primer meets the primer pocket. i think the pressures of the loads was not too high but i decided that the brass of the primer had become brittle and caused this. by the way some of the cardboard sleves show to have been wet or verry damp probably from condensation. before they were given to me they were stored in an out building. i have used new pistol primers with no ill effects. i think you will have to try them to see if they are ok. i have some winchester primers that are probably from the 40's paper box with wood trays. and cupped on the bottom. i have not tried them as i did not want to break a full box. these have been stored inside since new. i have seen wwI ammo that is cracked at the neck. i think age and conditions of storage will give different results. try them with a light load and see. m

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 09 January 2011

Well, I am still shooting up the last of some pre-WWII corrosive FA primers. They have had unknown storage, but in my shop outside for 10 years. Everyone of the first 600 or so have ignited the powder charge in plinking loads. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

Tom W. posted this 10 January 2011

I've just finished up some Federal LP primers that were made in 1950, and they still go boom. I have some CCI SP primers of the same vintage that work just as well. Both the Federal and the CCI primers have the little wooden trays.:lovecast:

Attached Files

ralphtaff posted this 11 January 2011

thanks for all the info. what does report mean on the 5 icons mean? the ones across from the number poasted and i think pm means private mail?

Attached Files

454PB posted this 11 January 2011

Dry, cold, and out of sunlight is the best way to store primers. I'm using some that are 35 years old and they work perfectly.

Yes, the post count is listed right below your location, and PM means “private message".

Attached Files

ralphtaff posted this 12 January 2011

thanks. this is the best forum i have found it gets answers right away. thanks again,

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 12 January 2011

ralphtaff wrote: thanks for all the info. what does report mean on the 5 icons mean? the ones across from the number poasted and i think pm means private mail?

The report button notifies Jeff that someone has posted inapprpriate material. He takes a look at it and determines if it violates the forum rules and will delete it if need be.

Welcome to the forum, ralphtaff.

Attached Files

curator posted this 25 January 2011

Since the great primer shortage of 2010 I have had to fall back on a supply given me by an old-timer at the gun club. All were purchased in the early 50s. Wooden boxes with primers on their side. Alcan, Remington, Winchester, SR, SP, LP, LP. A couple of thousand each. Even though they appear to have been wet once and there was a bit of powdery substance on some of them, all went off perfectly. I am finally getting to the end of them. I have had zero misfires or hangfires with them. YMMV

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 26 January 2011

Old primers seldom cause any problems.

Any packaged with wooden inserts are pre-1970s.

I recently used up a bunch of pre-WWII round cup Winchester Staynless pistol primers somebody gave me.

Old powder you have to check for rusting, vinegar odor or signs of deterioration, but primers keep well as long as they don't get wet.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 26 January 2011

I was given 1000 Rem 9-1/2 in wooden trays with green & red labels and have been using them with no problems. They were stored in an outside shed for 20 years or more and enclosed in an old insulated cooler along with an RCBS Jr. press .Daytime temp variations from 100 deg. to -10 deg throughout the year. The press had a little light rust on ram but primers looked fine with no discoloring to them or the trays they were in . So far they shoot fine ! Oh , and the old milsurp 4831 is good to go also that was in there :)

Attached Files

corerf posted this 28 January 2011

My 2 cents.

Working up a Kimber 45 ACP load, I was using CCI 300's that were about 1955/60 vintage and stored poorly in Riverside (exactly one mile from the gates of hell). I have ALWAYS shot WW2 vintage primers and had great success and accuracy. Usually in rifle cases though.

So I had erratic patterns at the range, no chrono allowed. Decided that after 100 rounds of various loads, there was no help.

So I did a major trigger job on kimber, thinking it was me and the gun. 3 lb trigger didnt help. I suspected primers as the Red Dot (4.9gr) and the unknown 230gr LRN were LOOKING just fine.

Tried some late 1990's CCI 300's. Groups shrank from 5 inch to 1.25 inch at 50 ft.

5 inch was with two hand hold. 1.25 inch was one hand hold and good primers. Swapped primers (new) to same powder charge, odd duck cases and a new bullet, same tight group. Swapped old primers to same combo. 4-6 inch groups.

4.9 gr and 230gr LRN pretty much duplicate a hardball load for my LEO friend I was working up for. Case closed.

And so..... I shall retire the questionable primers to either my kids with earplugs and a hammer for Independence day, or I will use them for plinkers shooting at rocks (again, likely my kids) in the distance. Sidebar: If you take a sledgehammer to about 5 LRP's, thats stinking LOUD. And the harder you swing, the better it is! Who needs fireworks and salutes??

First time I have gotten bit with old primers. It will not stop me from continuing to shoot them though!

Interesting----- I have a 38 super that I have been working up, CCI Small Pistol, same storage, same date......... like a shotgun pattern. It's an RIA with a 3 lb trigger as well. GI sights. I am going to guess that it's primers as well. And I just had that epiphany as I typed this thread. LOL

Attached Files

Close