.505 Gibbs

• 4.3K Views
  • Last Post 27 April 2016
det posted this 05 February 2011

While at the SCI Convention I got a factory CZ 550 chambered for .505 Gibbs.  I have dies and Jamison brass on order.  Does anyone have cast bullet data for the cartridge?  My first thought was an LBT LFN gascheck at 525 grain weight.

Det

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 05 February 2011

I load for a CZ550 in 505 a friend owns .

But he doesn't wanna shoot cast . So all I've loaded for him so far has been the Barnes 525 TSX bullet and  130 grains of RL-22 and a Federal 215 primer .

My friend has a three gun battery for hunting HOGS in Arkansas . His light rifle is a CZ550 in 375 H&H , his medium rifle is a CZ550 in 416 Rigby and his heavy hog gum is the aforementioned 505 Gibbs !

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 05 February 2011

6ptSikta, as an individual who has spent a lot of time behind a .459 Win. Your friend

must be a little rattled to say the least.

The only hog hunter that the guide Nesson Schmidt in King City Ca. ever had come up with a total blank on hogs was using a .378 Weatherby, and fired three boxes (60 rounds) for no pig.  I hope your friend has a better average.

As for the 505  Gibs I would suggest a cast bullet of apropiate diameter and weight -gas checked if possible-and using starting loads with the jacked data.\

Good Luck

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Old Coot wrote: 6ptSikta, as an individual who has spent a lot of time behind a .459 Win. Your friend

My friend is a little unusual I will say that !

I've been a rather long time shooter of the 375 H&H and the 416 REM MAG myself but thats about where I draw the line anymore . My present 375 and 416 are both on Ruger #1H rifles . Had a 1H last year in a 458 WIN MAG and that thing would kick the fire out of you with a 400 or 500 grainer loaded to factory specs ,

I've shot the 505 both offhand and from the bags and it is a handfull although not unmanagable .

Attached Files

Old Coot wrote: .

The only hog hunter that the guide Nesson Schmidt in King City Ca. ever had come up with a total blank on hogs was using a .378 Weatherby, and fired three boxes (60 rounds) for no pig.  I hope your friend has a better average.

Last year he killed 3 hogs with 2 shots using the Gibbs . Then he got a couple others with his 375 H&H as well .

This year he blooded the 416 for the first time taking 3 I think .

Actually he and another friend are on the way back from AR as I write this . They took 7 piggies this trip . My friend that owns the 505 got 5 of them and our other friend took a pair !

Attached Files

That beats me.  The biggest thing I ever killed with that 458 was a jack rabbit and I didn't even hit him.  The 479 gr. cast gc bullet hit the sand below his sternu  while he was running and he flipped up in the air about 2ft. I could find no bullet hole so I skinned him and found a huge bruise on the bottoom of his chest. I guess I “barked” or “sanded ” him.

Those cannoons will definately do the job IF  spend the time and components to get used to them so you can hit.  Otherwise, they fust throw a lot of lead at a time.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 05 February 2011

Which end of a 505 has that most killing power?

Jim

Attached Files

Whichever end you come into contact with upon ignition!

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 06 February 2011

cityboy wrote: Which end of a 505 has that most killing power?

Jim Actually the 505 recoil isn't that rough , well not like a 375 Ultra . The 505 is more like a BIG shove then a sharp crack !

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 06 February 2011

Old Coot wrote: That beats me.  The biggest thing I ever killed with that 458 was a jack rabbit and I didn't even hit him.  The 479 gr. cast gc bullet hit the sand below his sternu  while he was running and he flipped up in the air about 2ft. I could find no bullet hole so I skinned him and found a huge bruise on the bottoom of his chest. I guess I “barked” or “sanded ” him.

Those cannoons will definately do the job IF  spend the time and components to get used to them so you can hit.  Otherwise, they fust throw a lot of lead at a time. I've only killed one wide 6 point whitetail with my 416 REM MAG and a couple whitetail slicks with the 375 H&H MAG . Nice clean holes in and out !

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 06 February 2011

cityboy wrote: Which end of a 505 has that most killing power?

Jim

Recoil is a function of Momentum or what goes out comes back at you.

Felt recoil is a function of Acceleration, or how fast the bullet gets from zero fps to whatever it is coming out the front.  If the same bullet is fired with a faster powder there will be more felt recoil.  This is easily apparent in the 375 HH, 458, 505 etc.  A load I had that gave a 500 gr cast or jacketed 458 bullet 1900 fps for example hurt a heck of a lot more when loaded with IMR 4198 than 3031 or 4895.  There is a mathmatical proof for this (I did a paper on it in physics), but typewriters are not keyed for math. My guess is that the 505 G is more of a big push than anything else.  A friend of mine had built a single shot 50 BMG rifle, and happily sent stuff down range with it, but would not shoot a 338 Win because the FELT recoil was so bad.  Something that I agreed with.\

Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 27 April 2016

On these big rifles the weight of the rifle itself can be a big factor in felt recoil. I would expect that this .505 weighs 10 lb or more, that helps reduce recoil velocity, so as said one feels more like a push than a punch.

One of the most obnoxious kickers I have encountered is a 300 Weatherby with full power 180 or 200 grain bullets.

Getting back on topic, Hodgdon's online manual does not have loads for the 505. I would think that cast loads for a 500 Nitro Express, since the 505 is a bit bigger bullet diameter, I think the 505 brass has more capacity and a higher maximum allowed pressure - all this makes me think it would probably be OK, but, I'd check that out before acting on it!

Attached Files

Close