one peice mold

• 1.9K Views
  • Last Post 26 April 2011
adrians posted this 15 March 2011

hi guy's, i have a ideal 319295 mold and it;s all one cast deal i,e no removable blocks mine is a solid one peice mold, my question is can any knowing soul give a “ballpark” mfg date or when it first apprared in a lyman/ideal data book?.

by the way it drops a 170grn g/c boolt,,it shoots great out of my kar88 j-bore (.318 dia).

thanks and have great evening :dude: 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 15 March 2011

adrins,

It was made prior to Lyman buying Ideal from Marlin in the 1920's. Cherry #284 was made in 1906, so #295 was from then or the next year.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

adrians posted this 15 March 2011

thanks ric , i thought it was old but didn't realize it could be that old ,as a side ?. when did vent lines be utilized cos mine aint got non ? but it fills out great and only needs to be “sneezed on"to make it let loose of the lead. i quess the saying is true “they don't make em like they used ta” have a good evening... adrian

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 15 March 2011

You asked the question I would like to know the answer to! The vent lines are put on when the blocks are first finish milled, maybe even on long bar stock. To the best of my knowledge, all “Lyman” mould blocks are vented and so are late “Ideal” moulds. My guess is that somewhere between 1940 and 1955.

The early moulds appear to have been factory de-burred or burnished. They are easy to cast with if they are not rusty or have loose hinge joints.

Enjoy your mould!

Ric

Attached Files

Shadowdog posted this 16 March 2011

Interesting topic, guys.  I have 2 unvented Ideal molds, a 308241, (.30 pb rn 150gr.) with a number 108 on both blocks and a 457124 with 647 stamped on them.  I have no idea as to their age, but both cast better than some newer Lymans. 

Attached Files

CB posted this 19 March 2011

Well, I thought I had learned something (one piece molds) but when the discussion turned to the absence of vent lines I realized I was missing something -- or everything.

Where would you put vent lines on a “a solid one piece mold."

If this was April 1, I would assume that a one piece mold is something you work with a left handed monkey wrench. But it is still a little early for April fools jokes.

Please explain.

How have I managed to not hear of this wonderful device in fifty years of casting bullets?

John

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 19 March 2011

"one piece” as in not removeable blocks, i.e. the 1800's Ideal moulds where the handle 1/2 is part of the mould block.

Attached Files

CB posted this 19 March 2011

"one piece” as in not removeable blocks, i.e. the 1800's Ideal moulds where the handle 1/2 is part of the mould block.

Ah yes, I know about those. Thanks. My brain was overheating trying to visualize a one piece mold ( for tapered bullets I assume)-- with or without venting.

John

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 20 March 2011

jalexander wrote: Well, I thought I had learned something (one piece molds) but when the discussion turned to the absence of vent lines I realized I was missing something -- or everything.

Where would you put vent lines on a “a solid one piece mold."

If this was April 1, I would assume that a one piece mold is something you work with a left handed monkey wrench. But it is still a little early for April fools jokes.

Please explain.

How have I managed to not hear of this wonderful device in fifty years of casting bullets?

John I'm with you this one, John. Perhaps one of you kind gentlemen could post a picture of said mold.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 20 March 2011

Here is a one piece Winchester mould in 32 WCF.

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 26 April 2011

i first envisioned a tapered paper patch mold too then remembered the blocks and handles being one pieced.

Attached Files

Close