mosin nagant bolts

• 2.4K Views
  • Last Post 13 April 2011
CB posted this 10 April 2011

I have a M44 that came to me in pieces. He got a divorce and sold everything rather than let her have it. She cut them all up in pieces before she left.

Any way I have built a stock for it and would like to try a bent bolt. Have been looking around and haven't seen anything I like. Angelfire has what I want but has a 2 to 3 month backlog.

Anyone got a source for bent bolts? Welded kind not bolt on.

beekeeper

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
giorgio de galleani posted this 10 April 2011

Many years ago I got a curved bolt handle by Numrich Gun Parts and had it soldered in the place of the subby one.I had two lateral scope mounts,the Russian issue mout and scope,and a side mount with one inch standard rings. 

Sold the piece because it had too long barrel ,I did not like it.

It was a star in a movie  about Stalingrad's snipers, where Stalin's communists were the good guys.

Absolutely disgusting.

Last  year I stumbled in a a short  musket at very good price and threw away the screw driver,put on a pistol scope on the rear sight base,and it shoots decently.

No need to buil bend or change the bolt.

I'll only add a higher cheek piece, a Garand style one or a modern one by Brownells.

The bullet I use is a 190 pointed one by Nei,I do not remember the number. 

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 10 April 2011

Here's a pic of the bullets.

After dinner I'lltake a few pictures of the rifle with the scout type scope.

Attached Files

CB posted this 10 April 2011

Giorgio, I have the straight bolt and shoot it as is but thought a bent bolt might jazz it up a little. shoots 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards using the lyman 314299 cast bullet with 14 grains of red dot.

Am going to try 2400 and 4895 as powders next range day.

Jim

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 10 April 2011

1 1/2” groups! Don't mess with that too much, it'll be hard to beat as is. That's some good shooting. These guns are so common and cheap here now you could get another to customize.. Giorgio, who was the good guys in that battle? I'm thinking it's about like Iran and Iraq killing each other, all good, win/win in my book. Nazis killing commies and vice versa, how can you lose?

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 11 April 2011

Beekeeper, you are right the straight bolt is actually too short,

try at Numrich for a new  straight but long bolt handle only.

The mosin sniper bent bolt is awkward too. 

, changing the bolt body is more costly , but you cold have a longer handle soldered on your own bolt.

Short mosins can have good bores and shoot well for their price.

Do you make those good groups with iron sights? My compliments.

Attached Files

CB posted this 11 April 2011

with the original iron sights I was getting 3 inch groups at 100 yards and with my old eyes was hard pressed to maintain 3 inches. I installed a scout scope like the one on your weapon and brought it down to 1 1/2 inch. I think I could have brought it down further with an expensive scope but went the cheape route with a Simmons pistol scope to try the first time. Am pleased with the rifle and now am going to try different powders to see if I can get smaller groups at 100 yards and decent groups at 200 The red dot seems to lose it after 100 yards.

Jim

Attached Files

hrafknel posted this 11 April 2011

beekeeper

What make is your scout mount? Who sells them? hrafknel

Attached Files

CB posted this 11 April 2011

It is a Darrells Scout Mount that I bought from someone on another forum. E-mail at( m39scout-at bellsouth.net ),you will have to make the adjustments to the e-mail address. It is very straight forward as to installation and has held up quite well for me. It comes with brass set screws and I changed them out to steel, available at your local hardware store.

beekeeper

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 12 April 2011

The name the Boltman comes to mind. Pretty sure he does a few different type of bolt handle mods to moisin bolts. Try goggle “Boltman” think his name is Jim Robertson. Hope this helps. Frank

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 April 2011

checked with him and he has a 2 to3 month backlog and no spare bolt barrels so you have to supply the bolt. 2 to 3 months with your rifle layed up. Thought to check elsewhere first.

beekeeper

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 12 April 2011

Don't remember where I got this one from but probably The Boltman since I doubt there's a bumper crop of people fitting turned down bolt handles to MN bolt bodies. I'll take 50 bucks shipped and if it doesn't work out you can return it.

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 April 2011

pat i, I am seriously interested in the bolt body Check or Mo. address to send it to

beekeeper

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 12 April 2011

PM sent

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 13 April 2011

check angelfire on net. has ten or twelve bolts he can redo. You may need to send him bolt as he told me he had none in stock a few months ago

e mail.

[email protected]

Attached Files

Close