22 hornet and black powder

• 5.1K Views
  • Last Post 06 June 2012
JAT posted this 16 May 2011

Hi To all. first post but been around a while. Question? anyone ever try black powder in a 22 hornet and if so what are the details. would be fun to try.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
nimrod posted this 16 May 2011

There is one way to find out. I know that there were several 22 cal black powder cartridges. One of the rimfires turned out pretty good the 22 long rifle.

And welcome to the forum.

Attached Files

JAT posted this 16 May 2011

I believe the 22 WCF was a black powder round and the hornet comes from that round,but I haven't been able to find those loads.

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 17 May 2011

Just fill it up, load a round and fire it. Can't do anything but work, can it??

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 17 May 2011

And then report back! Good, bad, or ugly.

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 17 May 2011

Egzakly!!!;)

Attached Files

JAT posted this 17 May 2011

Yeah, forgot that you always fill the case with BP. As soon as I get a hornet to play with I will report back. I have never had a hornet, should be fun. Thanks for the replies

Attached Files

CB posted this 18 May 2011

Using black powder in any cartridge rifle will require protocal. A blow tube to keep fouling soft or swab the bore in between shots.

Do not forget to protect the base of the bullet with a cardboard or fiber  wad.

When the shooting session is done with BP, I shoot a few mild smokeless loads down the bore to clean out the BP fouling, ease in clean up.............DanW

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 19 May 2011

What powder will you use? Normally, 2F is rifle and 3F pistol but the Hornet would probably perform better with 3F.

I'd also use pistol primers. The original primers in the BP days were low brisance, as BP is an explosive. They performed poorly with smokeless powders so the primers were redesigned much hotter for smokeless powders.

Attached Files

JAT posted this 19 May 2011

What would be a good cast bullet for 22 cal. I have never cast anything smaller than 30 cal. bullets. I shoot mostly 45 cal guns but think plinking and practice with a single shot hornet would be cheap and a lot of fun. And I probably should have started with this question. Can you get a 22 cal bullet to carry enough lube for BP loads.

Attached Files

corerf posted this 19 May 2011

lyman 225438, using it with K hornet, pushing pretty hard and it shoots well.

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 20 May 2011

Hello, Jat. What you would have by loading black is the old .22-13-45, or better known as the .22 WCF. You might not be able to stuff 13grs. of black in the thicker modern hornet brass without the use of a drop tube, or compression though. The original groove dia.for this ctg. was .228” Best of luck!

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 21 May 2011

I played with BP in a 22 hornet and a New England Arms single shot. I tried the Lyman 50 grain flatpoint bullet, cannot remember the number but it cast at about 53 grains. Also played a bit with the 45 grain. One big problem with trying BP in modern guns is that they are not rifled for it. A BP barrel has slightly deeper rifling and wider grooves than lands. Steve Garbe wrote an article on using BP in the smaller calibers and I had some of the problems he mentioned in that they foul out quick, and do not seem to be that accurate. Garbe used a souple of grains of Red Dot to lessen fouling problems. Mainly I had a centerfire that was not all taht much more powerful than a 22 LR, closer to the old 22WRF, and was a lot of hassle to get anywhere near accurate. I was using 1-30 tin lead so it would work on small stuff but think it may have needed hardcast. The big thing is that modern rifles are made to shoot jacketed bullets with smokeless powder. We can get cast to shoot, but the addition of BP complicates things a bit.

DP

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 06 June 2012

The old black powder 22 WCF round appears to be identical to the 22 Hornet based on a Winchester High Wall in 22 WCF and a Winch Model 70 in 22 Hornet. I hnever used BP in either riflebut did load the 22 WCF with mild loads of UNIQUE and a cast lead bullet.

Attached Files

Close