Undersized rcbs and lyman molds

• 2.4K Views
  • Last Post 11 June 2011
fRANK46 posted this 26 May 2011

I've two rcbs 45 rifle caliber molds for the 300 and 400 grain bullets and also a few lyman 45 caliber rifle molds. All cast undersized for the 45/70. As such I haven't used them in a bunch of years. It is worthwhile to have them sent out and get them reworked/recut to get them to cast a bullet .461/.462 so they can be used?. If anyone has done this I would greatly appreciate your comment on this. There are about 5 molds all together. Thanks, Frank

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Wayne S posted this 26 May 2011

Do a search here or on CAST BOOLITS.COM for “beggleing” a mold.

You might post what the “as cast” Dia. of theses bullets are

Attached Files

gregg posted this 26 May 2011

fRANK46 wrote: I've two rcbs 45 rifle caliber molds for the 300 and 400 grain bullets and also a few lyman 45 caliber rifle molds. All cast undersized for the 45/70. As such I haven't used them in a bunch of years. It is worthwhile to have them sent out and get them reworked/recut to get them to cast a bullet .461/.462 so they can be used?. If anyone has done this I would greatly appreciate your comment on this. There are about 5 molds all together. Thanks, Frank

Your not alone. I like to know too..

Attached Files

PETE posted this 27 May 2011

Considering the diam. you want you won't get this from any Lyman .45 cal. mould that I'm aware of. They cut their moulds to cast for a .458 diam. with their #2 alloy. Even straight Lino won't give you more than .0005” more.

As mentioned a search on the different forums should come up with the person needed. I know he exists as I've seen comments on him doing this work, but can't recall his name. But, whether he can do you a decent job considering how much larger you want to go is something else.

Your best bet would be to go with a mould makers like Veral Smith at LBT. He'll want to know what alloy you'll be using so they can cut the mould to give you the diam. you want. Excellent moulds, and good delivery time!

Pete

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 27 May 2011

LBT mould where you specify the diameter you want may be the way to go (like Pete said).

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 27 May 2011

I think that there is a gent by the name of ERIK that has a website that does recut molds. One of the lymans casts a 485 gc bullet @.459 but need a few extra .001 to get it where I want it. I shoot a ruger #1 in 45/70 and at the ending of the chamber and the start of the rifling it measures .459. There is no leade or throat where the chamber ends and the rifling starts. I cannot seat out bullets but about 1/16th of an inch. The rifling is just there. Had also thought about getting it throated for the same reason. Thanks all. Frank

Attached Files

sbhg posted this 31 May 2011

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/>http://www.hollowpointmold.com/  

Down towards the bottom you will find this

Drive band enlargement of multiple bands enjoy.

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 01 June 2011

You can probably lap them out or have someone else do it. http://www.lasc.us/Brennan4-0ModifyCastBullets.htm

Attached Files

CB posted this 04 June 2011

RCBS cuts their moulds for linotype, IIRC. This can really make a difference sometimes, depending on what you're casting with.

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 04 June 2011

rcbs cuts thier molds for 10% tin and 90% lead. beagling is nothing more than using some 3m flue tape between the mold halves to make it larger, 3m flue tape is available at ace hardware.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 05 June 2011

Some RCBS cherries were farmed out and ground by Walt Melander of NEI in the 1990's those dimensions were just whatever Walt felt like that day

I hope those are all gone

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 09 June 2011

There is another way...Few years ago, I was laid off..no access to machine tools..was trying to get a Colt conversion to shoot with very light bullets..I had the same problem of undersized bullet due to almost pure lead alloy I was using..What to do??  I ordered a drill bushing from industrial supply house in my city, These can be ordered in .001 increments.  Using a steel ball bearing...(I wanted H.B.), & close fitting nose punch,  a series of washers were used to limit travel of punch for repeatability.  A few light blows with rawhide hammer did the trick.  Kind of slow, but I  did get that gun shooting.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 09 June 2011

Aluminum mold?

Attached Files

Southron, Sr., posted this 10 June 2011

Lapping out a mould is EASY.

Try it, you will like it!

Attached Files

CB posted this 11 June 2011

What ever you all end up doing, have your calipers always handy and go very slow, check your work often.

I believe RCBC and Lyman never has made an Aluminum mold. Maybe I am wrong, but I have never seen one.

Jerry

Attached Files

Close