Experienced Opinions Wanted

• 1.8K Views
  • Last Post 31 May 2011
.452dia posted this 27 May 2011

I'm looking to get into shooting BPCR's competitively and for just having fun.  I don't aspire to shooting in the nationals but more likely local * state matches but the main thing is having fun with good people.  I'm not new to BPCR as I owned one back in the late eighties/early nineties but was always too busy to really master it.  I have shot my friends gun which were Rolling Blocks, Italian Hi Walls and Sharps in a few different calibers.  I've also been a bulet caster and reloader for many years.  I have shot Benchrest and Practical Rifle Events and am a avid handgunner.  

I'm retired on disability now and want to get back into the shooting sports and I think BPCR Competition is what I'm looking for.  That being said, I am still retired on disability and living on a fixed income so I can't go out and drop 4 or 5 grand on a gun.  I am very interested in the Hi Walls preferably a Browning or Winchester but an Italian Import is not out of the question and neither is a Rolling Block or Sharps,

:dude:  This is where I bow to the experienced and ask you opinions.  I have a little $'s saved up and am in the process of selling a few of my other toys.  I would like to hear your opinions on what to buy and why.  I also realize jthat buying the gun is just the start of the equipment involved but I have much of it already.

Thanks,

G

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
runnin lead posted this 31 May 2011

I don't think that you can use the H&R for BPCR competitive shooting. Lots of fine rifles out there , as stated earlier get a good sight such as MVA, Baldwin, Kelly, ect NOT Pedersoli. The Pedersoli rifles are fine their sights , even their soule sights are ( trying realy hard to be nice ) lacking. I have one of their Soule sights that resets the windage all by it self under recoil, drove me nuts till I figured out what the problem was. MAYBE it may work on my .22 Lowwall, that 22 don't have much recoil. Hope all goes well.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 31 May 2011

G, Please let us know how she's doing. Our prayers are with you both.

Attached Files

.452dia posted this 31 May 2011

Thank You everyone for your help and suggestions, especially Dollar Bill for your offer. I told my wife about that I was going to buy a gun and she told me that I had better wait awhile because she just had a mamography that came back suspicious and is going to have to have a biopsy next week. Apparently she has known about this for about 2 weeks and wanted to wait to tell me. I'm praying it's nothing but I think I had better be careful with my money for a while as I don't know how well our insurance is going to pay. Maybe one day! Thanks Again, G

Attached Files

Rifle 57 posted this 27 May 2011

452 dia. I saw a uberti 1885 high wall in 38-55 used in good condition on GUNS AMERICA for $650.00

Listing # 905883414  

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 27 May 2011

I have a Browning BPCR in 45/70. It's competitive right out of the box. The barrel is a hand-lapped Badger and the rifle comes equiped with a good set of sights. About the only thing shoters do to it is change the sear for a little better trigger and maybe a Hadley eye cup. The come in either 45-70 or 40-65. Both are good rounds.

Mine's actually up for sale to finance another rifle project.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 27 May 2011

mike morrison wrote: if what 6pt is suggesting interest you i would suggest that you look into a CPA rifle with unfinished wood. this at about 1900.00.  

I've been wanting a CPA myself for several years now , but I want a Pope Schuetzen totally finished with 2 or 3 barrels LOL's !

I think total on my dream gun would be in the $6000 range !

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 27 May 2011

if what 6pt is suggesting interest you i would suggest that you look into a CPA rifle with unfinished wood. this at about 1900.00. but then a c. sharps high wall would be a good choice. if you choose to go with a pedersolie high wall i will offer this. i have a bbl removed from on of these rifles that is 38-55 the bore is .382. this in not good. as best i know the other calibers are ok. what ever you decide you must remember that you will be in need of sights. this will be fairly sizeable investment also. if you go cheap you will spend again. baldwin, mva, hoke and others will be a good choice. get a catalog from buffalo arms and you will find good quality. having said all this and reading what others have said, i think your best bang for the buck would be a browning bpcr gun. check the single shot exchange, usually there is on for sale there. this is a high quality rifle that comes with fairly decent sights and a badger bbl. lee shaver can make the trigger quite good for not a lot of money. good luck and let us know what you do.

Attached Files

You also might give some thought to buying and old Rollingblock action and sending it to someone like Dave Higginbothom at Lone Star and have him rebarrel it in a good BPCR cartridge .

I am pretty sure you can pick up a nice old RB action for $400-600 and Lone Star will rebarrel I think for about $600 . So at that point you're in $1000-1200 . You could get a stock and forend from Treebone Carving for I would think $300 and do the fit and finish yourself if so inclined and stay $1,500 or below possibly !

Attached Files

This is just a thought and not exactly something to exactly get you period equipped .

But have you given any thought to one of the H&R Buffalo Classic 45-70's or 38-55's . Not sure if they still make these but I suspect you could look around and find a new one still or a nice used one and stay well below $500 .

Again if you wanna be frugal in this venture the H&R is a viable option !

Attached Files

James Ball posted this 27 May 2011

Your question,and situation is almost identical to mine.Also retired,and disabled and on a fixed income.somhow i manage to shoot cast bullets all year,(about 12,000 rds a year)but have been pondering a single shot falling block.such as a pedersolie high wall.whats the best cal choice and why.or the best gun for the money.or the most reasonable cost wise to shoot.I whould have to sell a toy to buy a toy.but shooting 1,000rds with cast sounds like a lot of fun.So anybody have any input?James Ball

Attached Files

Close