New Mould!

• 7.7K Views
  • Last Post 07 June 2011
Michael Petrov posted this 03 June 2011

I have been shooting a 33 1 6/10” WP on a Ballard for a few years.  For the last couple years I've been using my .33-Pope mould and wanted to get a modern one to use so I don't ware out the Pope.

The first mould I ordered was a disaster. Last winter I heard that David Mos was back making moulds so I gave him a try.  I sent him some of the Pope bullets and got a mould from him. It seemed to cast good bullets once it was up to temperature but just takes a long time. Plus it weights three times what my Pope mould does. Why are modern moulds so big?

Off my soapbox and back to shooting. It was cool and light rain this AM perfect shooting weather, I like to shoot when the conditions are like that and I have the range to myself ;-).

First shot was a little low changed the scope and fired five from the fouler box which are .2 grain different than the keepers.

5-.830"

Next was the good bullets 5-.458"

Another five shots in .615", rain was picking up so I fired a ten shot @ .815".  

Looks like it will work my first mix and first lube with this mould so I'm happy for now, with work I should be able to improve it a lot.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 03 June 2011

Beautiful rifle and excellent groups. Dave Mos makes some fantastic moulds and if what he told me is true the first ones he cut for gas checked bullets were the three he cut for me. They were 235, 250 and 260 grain 30 cal. tapered bullets. Every one was exactly like the prints I sent him and the 250 grain bullet that I was using in a 30 PPC case at that time set a 10 shot 200 yd CBA Heavy Rifle record that lasted about a month, but it still did even if it was short lived. If he's still cutting moulds I'd recommend him and his moulds to anyone. Hell of a nice guy too.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 03 June 2011

I'm not sure what I like better !

Your Ballard or that nice group !

Would it be possible to post a picture of your Pope mold beside your new one ?

Attached Files

Attached Files

Attached Files

linoww posted this 03 June 2011

I'm all green with envy.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Thanks for the mold pics !

Now I don't know if I like the rifle , the group or the molds more ;)

I had a Ideal 32 cal adjustable Perfection mold a year or ago . This thread makes me wish I hadn't sold it :(

Attached Files

I assume the Pope molds are nose pour and if thats correct is the Moss nose pour also ?

Attached Files

frank l jr posted this 03 June 2011

WOW, just a great bunch of stuff. makes me green with envy. keep up the good work/ see ya frank l jr

Attached Files

6pt-sika wrote: I assume the Pope molds are nose pour and if thats correct is the Moss nose pour also ?

The Pope moulds are nose pour and the Mos is base pour.

Attached Files

2Tite posted this 04 June 2011

Wonderful pictures......thank you. But I have to ask...What does this short case look like?

Attached Files

Michael Petrov posted this 04 June 2011

2Tite wrote: Wonderful pictures......thank you. But I have to ask...What does this short case look like? It's a 357 maximum necked to .33 and trimmed to 1.6.  Barrel by Ron Smith, the cartridge was designed by my friend and I.

I made the rifle for fixed ammo for offhand practice but I guess I'm a stool shooter at heart so I now breech seat the bullets and use one case.  Most of my shooting is with a Schuetzen rifle, bench rest.

Attached Files

James Ball posted this 04 June 2011

Fantastic,Gun,Group,Mold not much more anyone could ask for.Keep up the persuit of perfection,I think your almost there.James Ball

Attached Files

James Ball wrote: I think your almost there.James Ball We all have a different view on where “There” is.  I'm not a match shooter and have never been very competitive.   Were would I like to be, I work for something that would look a lot like this.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 04 June 2011

Mike are you using a scope on your fine rifle or just the tang sight ?

Attached Files

Unertl 12x or Unertl 20x.

Attached Files

Michael Petrov wrote: Unertl 12x or Unertl 20x.

I'm glad to hear that !

I was looking at your group and thinking , man if he didn't use a scope he'd be unbeatable in a match when using a scope !

With my eyes I can't even see that bench rest bull at 100 yards :D

Attached Files

I'm at the age also that a scope is mandatory. I can shoot with iron sights but don't get the results that I work for.

No need to worry, I'm not a match kind of guy. This is just the first try with this new mould, hopefully the groups will get smaller not bigger. :)

Attached Files

Mike is that your only schuetzen style rifle ?

I like the Ballards and Stevens 44 1/2 quite alot !

My only schuetzen is an austrian falling block in 8.15x46R and that bad boy has no scope . :(

Attached Files

Michael Petrov posted this 05 June 2011

I've been shooting them since 1972 so have picked up a few over the years.

This is the rifle the .33-Pope mould goes to. A Hartford-Pope .33-47 with all the tools.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close