Lyman 173 fp 30 Caliber - #311041

• 4K Views
  • Last Post 22 December 2011
green onions posted this 30 June 2011

Anyone had the Lyman 173 fp 311041 remove one of the gas check to this mold and having one with and one without?  I am think of sending it to have it done.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Wayne S posted this 02 July 2011

If you are asking how will a FB  31141 will shoot, there are many variables to consider; what will work in my weapon, might not work in yours.  A simpler method of eleminating the GC, would be to shoot the bullet W/O a GC, if you are worried about lube contaminating the powder, a small bit of dacron or polly  will seperate the two. 

Attached Files

Iowa Fox posted this 02 July 2011

green onions wrote: Anyone had the Lyman 173 fp 311041 remove one of the gas check to this mold and having one with and one without?  I am think of sending it to have it done. If your Lyman cast nice bullets I would not do it. A few years ago there was a group buy for the 311041 with GC & plain base in 6 cav from Lee. I got in on both of those which will cast a pile of bullets in a hurry. I would try to find one of the plain base to try. 

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 28 August 2011

Seems a shame to mess up a good mold that can NOT be returned to original! Just a tiny piece of polyester pillow fill will protect the powder from lube.

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 28 August 2011

jhalcott wrote: Seems a shame to mess up a good mold that can NOT be returned to original! Just a tiny piece of polyester pillow fill will protect the powder from lube.

I agree 100 percent. I was given a Lyman #311284 mold that had the gas check portion milled out. So far, the checked bullet shoots just fine the plain based bullet doen't shoot worth spit. Frankly, I'm no fan of 31141/311041 as i hve two of those molds and a clone by NEI and they don't shoot worth spit either. I originally got them to make hunting bullets for the 30-30 but my rifle didn't like them. Niether did my .308 Win. or 30-06. FWIW, that .308 is close to MOA with the Lyman 311291. When it cools down some, I may try playing with 31141/311041 but frankly, I think I'm wasting my time. Paul B.

Attached Files

adrians posted this 28 August 2011

huh , i too have the ideal 308291 and the 31141 .

both perform good in differant rifles ofcourse ,,the 308291 is right on in my win 94(pre-64) 30-30 ,

the 31141 does great in both my milsurp 7.62's.

im thinking of sending my 308291 to somebody  to have it hollowpointed but not 100% sure yet ,,we will see.

have a great day ,,,,i'm off to the range..:hunt::taz::riflebr:

Attached Files

linoww posted this 28 August 2011

i have a 31141 HP and it shoots very well. Erik Ohlen did two SAECO #307's for me and it also is a good one.A Plainbase should be Ok.Try it “as is” with no GC on at plainbase velocity.It will probably shoot as well as it will as a PB.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

WRDSMTH posted this 07 December 2011

I often use gas check bullets without the gas check by lubing them with liquid alox. I cut washers out of orange juice containers and punch a hole in the washers large enough to fit tightly over the bullet nose. I then “paint” LA into the grease grooves with a small artist brush and set the bullets nose down in my loading tray to dry overnight. The washer prevents the lube from getting on the bullet nose and contaminating the bullet seating die. Normally I apply two coats of the LA. It sometimes helps to score the bullets lightly between two files before applying the LA.

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 08 December 2011

The 311041, 311291 AND a Lee clone of the 291 all shoot quite well for me in 30-30 308 and 30-06. I shoot them at different velocities and use gas checks MOST of the time. My better loads go 1 to 1 1/2 inch at 100 yards off the bench. NOT all attempts are this good and mean that I(ME) did some thing wrong.My 30-30 Contender (14") really likes the 311041 cast of ACWW and checked.

Attached Files

Canuck Bob posted this 09 December 2011

I'm a greenhorn so keep that in mind.  If you are planning midrange PB loads and full power GC hunting loads from one mold you might reconsider.

Years ago I loaded my 444 with plinkers and full power using the same bullet.  I missed my only real bragging buck because I mixed the loads by accident.  Now I never have loads that I can't tell apart visually for hunting. 

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 22 December 2011

Hello, green onions. If you have a machinest friend..or job-shop nearby..you could have them face off gas-check shank on those bullets..should be chucked up in a collet with stop..for uniformaty. This way, you can find out if they work well,  before altering the mould.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 22 December 2011

There is one more option, you could order one of Ranch Dog's 311041 type molds (either 160 or 170 gr.) and have it made 3 and, 3 gas check  and 3 plain  base.

Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 22 December 2011

There is one more option that has'nt been mentioned:  You could order a half and half mold from Ranch Dog.  Half gas check and half plain base. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Close