mag-tech, tula primers

• 3.4K Views
  • Last Post 28 November 2012
Savage99 posted this 11 August 2011

Do you folks know what I have may have gotten myself into? These are large pistol ones

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gunarea posted this 12 August 2011

Hey Savage99

Not quite sure what the inference is to. I have used and am still using Tulammo primers. In both large and small pistol along with a couple thousand large pistol magnum. They are of Russian manufacture, imported and sold through several outlets. Is Mag-tech using them in their ammo production? My experience with these pistol primers just now is around 40k, no complaints at all. Actually I am quite pleased with the performance. With the amount I consume, the lower price of the component is also a plus. Rarely does ammunition sit around so I have no information concerning long term storage or shelf life.

My concern is they will realize how our market is screwing us and respond with higher prices. Just a note, after semi-extensive testing of Mag-tech ammo, just about anybody can reload much more consistent gun food.        Sorry about my soapbox moment.     

Roy

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 06 June 2012

I will not purchase anything Rusian until Tsar Putin relinquishes the throne. I have used ca 10,000 Magtech small pistol primers - they all went bang.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 03 October 2012

I recently bought 1000 each of Tula primers in both large rifle & large pistol. I haven't tried them yet as I still have some CCI left.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 04 October 2012

i have 15k of wolf, 10k magtech, and 10k of tula. bought to have some stored for the next shortage. i shot some of both and find them work fine. they go bang when the fireing pin hits them. argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

tominct posted this 04 October 2012

argie1891 wrote: i have 15k of wolf, 10k magtech, and 10k of tula. bought to have some stored for the next shortage. i shot some of both and find them work fine. they go bang when the fireing pin hits them. argie1891  How are the pistol primers in a revolver? I heard that there can be light strikes/misfires with the Russian primers.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 04 October 2012

If you have a stock action with factory springs they should be OK. I have seen misfire problems in J-frame concealed hammer S&Ws and others with bobbed hammmers or after-market spring kits intended to reduce trigger pull, because these also reduce hammer throw.

My Rugers annd Colt revolvers fire them off reliably, and so do my H&R Handi rifle, old Winchester and newer Marlin lever-actions.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 05 October 2012

My Wolf primers seem harder than others. If the large rifle primers aren't seated completely they misfire for me. GI cases in the 30-06 do this too me on occasion. They work fine but they aren't that much less expensive anymore.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 05 October 2012

I have heard from others using the Wolf rifle primers that they work fine in AKs, M1 Garands, 98 Mausers, Springfields, K31s, Mosin-Nagants, SMLE etc. but not in Remington 700s or 788s....

I ran 100 of them in my ca. 1908 Winchester 94 with no issues.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 06 October 2012

widners reloading supply current price on wolf small rifle primers i loaded some in a mauser 308 and they worked fine. and yes small rifle i put them into lapua match cases with small primer pocket. argie1891

. QQQSRM KVB-5.56M SMALL RIFLE MAGNUM PRIMERS (For use in 5.56 loads)$14.50/1000

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 08 October 2012

Hey Guys

Yesterday saw the second malfunction of a Tulammo small pistol primer installed by me. Just now my useage is a fuzz past 45k of the Tulammo small pistol primer. No failures have occured at this point with Tulammo large pistol primers and that number is a little under 20k used. This rate is very similar to my personal experience of failure percentage with some twenty years exclusive use of CCI. A Ruger BH found it and tried two more times to set it off. First one was also found by a Ruger BH but it was a SS model. Don't get me wrong that I might be inferring the handgun had anything to do with the failure. My conviction stands, nothing man made is fail safe.

Here is the silver lining! The victim of the failure got an up close personal look at his trigger pull, which had until then, been considered innocent of any suspicion for poor shot placement. With the absence of report and recoil, human caused firearm movement is just too obvious to ignore. Typically, an increase in accuracy comparable to a major professional alteration occurs.

My silver lining!  Isolating the cause of non pinpoint accuracy resulted in a substantial gratuity for me. Thank you Tulammo!  Please excuse me now while I go order another fifty thousand.

Roy  

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 08 October 2012

I have been using CCI primers for a long, long time . . . years. In all those years of countless rounds I've had one missfire and not due to the primer. I don't like sending my money out of the country. I feel guilty when I do. But when I see prices of anywhere from $30.00 to $50.00 per thousand, I have a problem with that. I don't mind spending a little more. Such as Midsouth selling CCI Large Pistol primers for $25.00 per thousand. I can go that. I recently placed an order through Natchez (whom I like) for Tula primers due that CCI were $29.99. I don't know what Midsouths shipping charges are but will check them out the next time. I almost NEVER use Midway anymore. Their hazmat fees are around $50.00 where Natchez hazmat fees are $27.50. Midways S&H is also higher. They seem to have issues . . . like being to big for their britches. So for now it's either Natchez or Midsouth!

Update! Checked out Midsouth for powder & primers & duplicated my order that I made with Natchez. Only I substituted CCI primers for Tula.. My order was $2.00 cheaper through Midsouth! Nuff said.      Yes, I will still most certainly deal with Natchez . . . they are fast. But Midsouth is most certainly on my list. Midway . . . No Way! Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

madsenshooter posted this 09 October 2012

Beware of the Tula unleaded KVB-7E LR primers! Tried some with a load of R19. Click...bang. Like shooting a flintlock. Came home and did some digging, found that the AF Academy had already been doing some comparisons. http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1203/1203.2701.pdf They wouldn't light the RL19, did seem ok with Russian 4895, but I also got a delay with some Swiss made SPP210, a 4198 clone. Looks like they'll be limited to use in plinker loads with fast burners, and only 4800 to go!

Attached Files

rockquarry posted this 12 October 2012

If these off-brand primers work well in some guns, but not all, it hardly seems worth the trouble to use them solely because they are slightly cheaper. However, if they provide dependable ignition, consistency, and accuracy that equals American primers, then those are good reasons...

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 12 October 2012

just wondering, i see here small rifle primers (tula) are $14.50/thousand versus small pistol mag @ $20. want to think i have read maybe on here that small rifle and small pistol mag are the same. if this is correct the sr would be a better price thatn the spm. anyone got any info/opinions here. m

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 12 October 2012

My understanding is that the SR primers have a stronger or thicker cup for the harder firing pin strike of rifles. SR will work OK in some pistols.

I have used both in both with no problems but some pistols may not fire some SR primers

John

Attached Files

Bisley posted this 28 November 2012

I have Wolf primers in small pistol, and I have noticed a three percent misfire rate with them in both a j-frame Smith and Wesson, and my Colt King Cobra. The loads are five grains Unique under a SAECO 150-grain semiwadcutter in a .38 special case. They fired the second strike. I am seating them in Federal cases. On the other hand, the CCI primers all went off without issue. These were seated in Winchester cases fifteen years ago from primer stock my Father had purchased at least thirty years prior. I do notice that I need to seat the primers hard using an RCBS single-stage press -- sometimes I had to turn the case and reapply pressure to get the Tulas in. I scraped out the primer pockets in the Federal brass, so there was nothing to block them. Am I crushing something during seating? there are no marks on the seated primer. I am sending my King Cobra off to a gunsmith. Should I ask him to replace any components to increase hammer throw and ensure good ignition?

Bisley

Attached Files

Close