Savage

• 5.5K Views
  • Last Post 15 December 2016
Ervin posted this 11 January 2012

Does anyone have any experince with recent mfg?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 11 January 2012

My grandson recently got a Savage 11/111 with Accutrigger and Accustock Aluminum bedding in .308 Win. We scoped it with an Elete Bushnell 3-9 and had no difficulty dialing it in with cast bullets using Lyman #2 and the Lee C309-170-FNGC  that I honed out to be able to  size/check at .3102". We load with H4895 powder at 2215 fps. The bullets are seated to touch the lands. I honed the bore for break-in also with a BoreSnake and chrome polish and the rifle shoots superb <1MOA at 200 yards. His bore slugged a nice tight .3070” G to G.

Gary

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
onondaga posted this 12 January 2012

The Savage Edge or called the Axis depending on date of manufacture are the same rifle. It is an entry level rifle and inexpensive. It is not available with the Accutrigger or Accustock. It is a safe , decent beginners bolt action centerfire but certainly not designed for competitive shooters.

Also, I am sure some people will never like the Accutrigger in the costlier models simply because of their nontraditional appearance no matter how much someone dazzles them with the facts. I personally think they are the best innovation in trigger design in history and that they have a wonderful feel.

Some people will not follow instructions or even read them about Accutriggers and just try to adjust them “Their Way".  They will be about as happy with Accutriggers as Lee 4-20 bottom pour pot owners that are plagued by dripping and blame the manufacturer instead of really reading, understanding and following the instructions of the product adjustment and common sense maintenance.... actually common sense may be the common denominator with Accutriggers. I really like them

Gary

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
onondaga posted this 17 April 2014

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8009>riflejohn

Here is the post on my bore polishing method. This works well when you follow the directions, make no substitutions and take no short cuts:

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=8364&forumid=63

Working with a helper to hold the rifle helps with the amount of work. This is a one time bore polishing and Not a cleaning routine. The polishing will leave your bore completely broken in and ready to shoot with no further break-in at all and your bore maintenance cleaning after shooting will be much easier with  the polished bore.

In the post I recommend a cleaning method for the BoreSnake after the polishing procedure that leaves your BoreSnake like new clean. . I use a clean dry BoreSnake at the range once after every 5-10 shots and bore condition remains constant for extended bench sessions when doing that simple chore.

Gary

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch

Thanks. Ervin

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 11 January 2012

I shot a Model 10 at the CBA nationals (Hunter class) this year. It is well made and shoots very well. However the other day I encountered a guy with the new cheap Savage at the gun club. It was called an Edge I believe. In my opinion that rifle would be over priced if it were free. Make no mistake, I like Savages. I use them for competitive shooting and for prairie dog shooting. I stay away from the super cheap models, though. - Jim.

Attached Files

Thanks. Good advise. Ervin

Attached Files

GaCop posted this 14 February 2012

Lefty wrote: I shot a Model 10 at the CBA nationals (Hunter class) this year. It is well made and shoots very well. However the other day I encountered a guy with the new cheap Savage at the gun club. It was called an Edge I believe. In my opinion that rifle would be over priced if it were free. Make no mistake, I like Savages. I use them for competitive shooting and for prairie dog shooting. I stay away from the super cheap models, though. - Jim.

+1. The Axis/Edge makes for a good “truck” gun and is not too bad for an entry level hunting rifle but, it will never beat a Stevens 200 or Savage 10/110. I too love the Savage action and build all my benchrest rifles on their actions.

Tom

Attached Files

Webley posted this 08 March 2013

I have a Savage 12BVSS 308 that is on its way. When I get it, I will let you know. :D

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 08 March 2013

I have a Savage 6mm BR bench rest rifle (single shot) on order and a Savage single shot standard bolt face action also on order that I will be fitting a Lilja 22BR #7 contour barrel to.

I'll keep you informed of performance.

James

ps Hey Webly, is that a wallaby you're petting there?

Attached Files

Harp posted this 08 March 2013

Savage 111 rebarreled to 6.5 swed and could not be happier with it's long range accuracy and reliabilty.

Attached Files

Webley posted this 16 May 2013

Update to my Savage BVSS in 308. She arrived safe and sound, and I could not be happier. I mounted a Weaver T-24, and loaded up some 165 Boolits over 5744, and got her sighted in. Next time I get some range time, I will stretch her legs a bit and see how she really shoots. :riflebr:

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 16 May 2013

I have a newish Savage M40 single shot .22 Hornet that will hold select factory loads on a nickle at 100 yds., sometimes a dime. My handloads don't do as well, so far, either jacketed or cast.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 16 May 2013

Let me see !

At the moment I have ;

Savage 210F 12 gauge rifled slug gun that shoots great with factory loads

Savage 220 20 gauge rifled slug gun that shoots factory sabot loads even better

Savage 10ML-II 50 cal muzzleloader that has done very well for me on paper and deer

I had Savage Stryker bolt action pistols chambered for 260 REM , 7mm-08 and 300 WSM and they all did very nicely if one could hold them in the bags .

Over the last year or two I have sold no less then 4 of the Savage Model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and I know for a fact they were all a good bit BETTER then 1/2 MOA with jacketed handloads . One of the 4 guys also purchased a Savage Model 12 LRH also in 6.5 Creedmoor and that one shoots darned near as well as his LRP .

Attached Files

JSH posted this 16 May 2013

I have one of the pre accutrigger guns in 22-250 and a brand new long action in 270. The 22-250 will be 358 before long. The 270 will be a switch barrel in 6.5-06AI. The 22250 has a bit of throat wear but still groups moa with select loads.
The 270 is boring sub moa from the get go. Prior to these two I traded into an F/TR in 308. A person would have to spend a lot of $$$$ to come close to this factory rifle. Bug holes at 100 sub moa. I have shot it out to 500 M and it. Is still sub moa. I have a couple of more expensive rifles that don't shoot even close to the ftr with a lot more load work. My club started a league rimfire game and I added a savage there to for a sporter class. It is shooting well at 50 yards. But we all know how picky they can be. Jeff

Attached Files

riflejohn posted this 17 April 2014

hi gary I am interest in how you use the bore snake and chrome polish to smooth out the bore. I am getting a new savage low profile varmint in .308 any help would be appreciate           riflejohn from the land of OZ:cool:

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 11 December 2016

Hello all;  I just picked up a new Savage 10 FCP-SR  It's a 308Win with a 24” heavy barrel, fluted and threaded. It has an AccuTriger and AccuStock and comes with a ten round detachable magazine. Weather here is nasty right now so measuring max COLs and such is as far as I've gotten. I will let you all know how it shoots soon.  It has a Vortex scope mounted on the rail and LOOKS like it should shoot bug holes.  lol   Gp

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 11 December 2016

Just moving the thread back to the latest.

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

SierraHunter posted this 15 December 2016

I can't say I've ever had a bad Savage. I had a axis is 223 for awhile, and although I did not like it as well as the Ruger American rifles, it was not bad, and accurate enough for gophers out to 300 yards or so.

Attached Files

Close