40/50 Sharps Stright by C. Sharps

• 3.5K Views
  • Last Post 23 July 2012
RicinYakima posted this 15 March 2012

My 40/50 project is coming along after a rocky start. In the beginning, groups were horrible, like 4 1/2 inches. After 200 rounds down range, I took the forend off and shot a 1 1/4 inch group.

The rifle is beautifully made, but the forend is just too tight to the action. After loosing the mortise, I put a card strip behind and in front of the screw and it is shooting better. Now I have to figure out how to make that permanent.

First picture is my first group. Second is 4 in 3/4” and so excited I pushed the outher one out to make it 1 1/4"

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
.22-10-45 posted this 15 March 2012

Hello, Ricin Yakima. What action is your rifle on? What bullet & powder? I have an original Remington pistol grip rolling block rifle in .40-50 B.N. Using an NEI 275gr. nose-pour and AA5744 I am getting good groups like yours. Thinking of going over to the Holy Black in respect for it's age.

Attached Files

.22-10-45 wrote: Hello, Ricin Yakima. What action is your rifle on? What bullet & powder? I have an original Remington pistol grip rolling block rifle in .40-50 B.N. Using an NEI 275gr. nose-pour and AA5744 I am getting good groups like yours. Thinking of going over to the Holy Black in respect for it's age.

It is on a Hybred Early Browning/Winchester 1885 styling, but wire springs.

Bullet is a Mountain Mold 300 grain with 30 grains less in the nose than a 330 grain original Sharps 40/70 that I designed off their computer program.

Powder charge is 20.0 grains of H4198 SC (the first time I ever got this powder to shoot well!).

Rifle is the one in my new Avator picture.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 15 March 2012

My Browning shoots better when I put the barrel on the bags or cross sticks. You may find the same thing and save some fiddling with the stock.

Attached Files

Ds'Kid,

That is how I found out the basic issue. Used two different bench rests, spaced every four inches from right at the muzzle back to resting on the receiver.

First picture is the barrel resting just in front of the forend with the forend attached, the best group 3+ inches.

Second picture is the the forend totally removed and bag just in front of the forend screw. It likes the forend resting just in front of the center of gravity, at least so far. Still lots of work to do, as I haven't even messed with powder charge yet, just took a load from Ken Waters' book.

Ric

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 16 March 2012

It looks like a winner. I like the sound of that case. Must not kick much.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 16 March 2012

I tried the SAECO 410 grain bullet with 100% load density of IMR4895; it shot OK for 20 rounds, but does let you know it is there. Also slides the scope up 6 inches in the mount! Of course it will kill every buffalo that every walked at 1250 f/s, but that isn't what I wanted. Shoot through both shoulders of a Mule Deer and eat right up to the hole with the 300 grain flat point. Ric

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 16 March 2012

I tried the SAECO 410 grain bullet with 100% load density of IMR4895; it shot OK for 20 rounds, but does let you know it is there. Also slides the scope up 6 inches in the mount! Of course it will kill every buffalo that every walked at 1250 f/s, but that isn't what I wanted. Shoot through both shoulders of a Mule Deer and eat right up to the hole with the 300 grain flat point. Ric

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 06 June 2012

I sold my Remington-Hepburn in 40-50SS several years ago. I used a very mild load with a 300 gr. LRN sized 0.408 with 17.2 gr. SR-4759 - I always forgot to chronograph that load but it punched nice tight holes in paper.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 June 2012

Thanks for the reply TonyT. I am planning on working down not up in powder charge.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 07 June 2012

My Hepburn 40-1 7/8 shot 41 mag lead bullets very well out to 200 yards. Maybe 250-275 gr. It shot official bullets very well also. I thought the pistol bullets were neat. Do we still say “neat"? joe b.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 June 2012

All of us older than 60 still say neat!

Attached Files

2Tite posted this 23 July 2012

C Sharps used 18” twist on the 40 cal rifles. (I have one as well) You may find that at 200 yds and further they begin to tip. I find best accuracy with bullets in the 365-370 gr range.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 23 July 2012

2Tit,

I have not been working with this much because of the Miltary Nationals and a 300 yard match. Now I have some time to get back to the 40. I will be very happy with 300 to 330 grain bullets, as this is a “for fun gun” to me.

Thanks, Ric

Attached Files

Close