What action for a squirrel & rabbit rifle?

• 5.7K Views
  • Last Post 23 August 2013
AWOL posted this 29 August 2012

I'd like to keep an eye out for, and eventually obtain, a suitable SS action for a hunting rifle in .25 Hornet or .32 HRM.  What actions are available?  I'd like to keep it fairly simple and inexpensive to have built.  I would put a hunting style peep sight on it.  H&R/NEF single-shot rifles can be had, but are they re-barrel-able?  I'm not very interested in a Ruger.  Are there falling block or Remington rolling block actions being manufactured today? 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 August 2012

i am thinking barrel inserts.... permanently installed.  if you find the right gunsmith, these can be match quality.

i always wanted to line my mod 37 win. 16 gauge to a 25-20, but sold it...stupid strikes us all   (g)

ken

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 29 August 2012

I used a tiny pre-war H&R .410 shotgun action and had barrels made for. 32 S&W Long, .32 ACP, and. 38 Special. Gun weighs about 4-1/2 pounds. BSA Martini Cadet is another good choice if you can find one. Mine is set up with custom barrel and Unertl scope blocks to test. 38 Spl. wadcutters. Another option is Beretta Mod. 412 folding shotgun in. 410 or 28 ga. small action makes a 5 lb. .44 Magnum or. 357 walking gun with 26” barrel. My favorite deer stalker.

Of the modern,currently made single-shots, the Rossi is small and light, but needs trigger work. Modern H&R Handi-Rifle is accurate, but heavy, my. 30-30 m.o.a. with match bullets, scoped, but no lightweight at 8 pounds!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 29 August 2012

ken:

the winchester model 37 extractor is so darn small i decided it wouldnt be a good choice for a insert conversion.. i have made one on a cheap era 12 ga to see if i could do it and it works well. made another on a savage 20 ga. and am currently looking for something to make another 25-20 on. argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 August 2012

argie sez       the winchester model 37 extractor is so darn small i decided it wouldnt be a good choice for a insert conversion.

i got a tig welder   heh heh       these can do very fine work...   ken

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 29 August 2012

if you make a insert that slides in from the breech omit the extractor, mill a 45 degree angle at the breech of the insert to the point that a finger nail can just reach behind the rim and it will be easily extracted. this also works with rimless ctg. m

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 29 August 2012

Hmmmm I don't shoot squirrels and rabbits much anymore .

But I suppose if I were inclined to do so the gun I own that I'd use is a circa 1835-1845 36 caliber halfstock Pennsylvania rifle made and signed by A.B.Smith !

This one does very nicely with a patched roundball and about 40 grains of 3Fg .

My second choice would be my grandfathers old pre 1897 W&C Scott 10 gauge 2 7/8” SxS .

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 29 August 2012

My first instinct is Martini, cos I'm bias. Otherwise whatever you can find that is cheap and easy to convert.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

AWOL posted this 30 August 2012

Thank you all, for the replies.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 30 August 2012

Here is another possibility: I have a TC Contender with composite carbine stock with a barrel (SSK) chambered for .32 H&R Magnum.

My magnum load for the revolver is 10.0 grs of H110 with a 100 gr cast Keith gives 1100 fps in the 16-4 (6") Smith revolver. I have not chronographed it with carbine barrel but suspect 100-200 fps greater velocity.

This should make an excellent edible small game load. I have not tried it on small game as shortly after I had it up and running, I lost most of the vision in my right eye. Alas, no more long guns for me...

The accuracy is on the level of the “X” ring on a fifty yard small bore target at fifty yards. That is more than enough accuracy for edible small game and the larger small game like ground hogs and coyotes at reasonable ranges.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 30 August 2012

Hmmmmm , a CPA rifle in 25-20SS would be about perfect !

Or maybe even in 28-30 Stevens and then if a fellow wanted to they could pound a deer with a bit of care of course !

Attached Files

AWOL posted this 31 August 2012

So many rifles! So little time! I enjoy muzzle-loaders, but sometimes get a hankering for a small CF rifle. An H&R would likely suit me fine, but I'll investigate the Rossi & TC rifles. Thanks.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 18 January 2013

How did this project ever progress? An older Stevens 410 just showed up on the rack at the local gun store. It is from the era of synthetic wood grain stocks but other than that it seems “worn but solid". This gun started me thinking about some of the hand gun cartridge conversions that others have done on 410 shotguns.

I am not a gunsmith or machinist so I would need to have a gunsmith do the work. Does anyone have any advice? Is it best to have an additional barrel made or is it easier to reline the existing barrel?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 18 January 2013

John Taylor can make you a replacement barrel and keep your original .410 barrel intact. He has a .32 S&W Long reamer with rifle throat which he used on my Army & Navy rook rifle. Or you could reline the .410 barrel, but it might be a bit heavier.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 18 January 2013

I like single shot rifles, but at the end of the day, such projects as you wish just don't get my attention. There are so many fine vintage small game rifles out there that are a joy to shoot and own and only increase in value. They also have a history and story to tell as you carry them in the field.

You will never get your money back on such a project as you propose, but that may not be an issue with you. It is with me.

I have a Winchester 92 and a Remington 25 both in 25-20 and that is what I use.

Attached Files

R Dupraz posted this 18 January 2013

How about an O/U bunny gun? Fast second shot in case one of them little beasties decides to charge.:D

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 19 January 2013

I'm still looking for the right side-by-side 410. Express sights, solid rib and 32 H&R Magnum double rat rifle. Kick them in the nose to make them charge!

Attached Files

R Dupraz posted this 19 January 2013

D**n, what a project that would be!!

RD:P

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 19 January 2013

Ah the possibilities! Some reality intruded on my project today. The gun shop and I are about $150 apart on the price of the Stevens single shot 410. I have been known to overpay :D

But this would be too much. How can we be $150 apart on a $50 gun. Ouch, that makes me sound old.

Attached Files

vol423 posted this 23 August 2013

I have a 16GA Sauer SXS with a Krieghoff 22 magnum insert installed in the left barrel. I replaced the front sight with a tiny bead probably meant for a mid bead, then installed a folding rear sight in the rib. The 22 mag is right on at 50 yards and the shotgun has a full choke for reaching out to those running squirrels.

Attached Files

Close