8.15 x 46 R German Stalking Rifle

• 4.5K Views
  • Last Post 11 September 2013
RicinYakima posted this 19 October 2012

Attached are three pictures: very nice original color case harded metal except for the rust blued barrel. Bore is like new and shiny. Proofed in September of 1939, so maybe never used. Made as a lead bullet gun with 170 grain bullet, so must be for hares and roebuck.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 20 October 2012

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=50>RicinYakima:

The double set trigger and long barrel suggests it was designed as a match rifle more than a hunting rifle to me. And it looks like a beauty to me. The Schnabel forearm appears wedge pinned to the barrel. That is a classy rifle, hope you get to shoot it. 

Rust blue is easy to care for because it is so deep. The best I can tell from your picture is that it was plum browned with heat and salt. If you dare to give it some help, lightly card it with a wire file card  file cleaning card lengthwise along the flats, then oil it, rag wipe it off hard to remove the oil,  then apply Johnsons Paste Wax and polish. If done very lightly that carding won't devalue the rifle, but make the barrel finish lot more attractive and silky feeling if you think it needs it. Be very gentile.

Rick, If you are actually going to shoot that and want it do the best it can, give it my bore polishing method, get a chamber/ throat casting done and the bore slugged so you can select the perfect bullet size. Of course you could just send it to me, I can do that stuff but I am very slow, It might take me a year or more!!! Then I'd have to really test it also, That might take an additional year or more.

I'd likely get the bullets to the size needed for breech seating with fire formed brass for that beauty if it was mine. Just a suggestion, I hope you enjoy that rifle.

Gary

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 20 October 2012

Gary,

I thought about it being a match rifle also, but it has one standing flat top rear leaf, one folding and silver bead front. There isn't any holes or lumps to attach the normal peep sights for match rifles. And it only weights 5 pounds and 12 oz.

Sorry the pictures can out so poorly. We were having a dust storm and with bright sun shining though the dust it makes everything look yellow. One of the not so pleasent things of living in the desert, wind.

Thanks for the advice and the offer, but I think I will work with it for a while first. Maybe next year.

Ric

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 20 October 2012

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=50>RicinYakima:

There were lots of different types of shooting matches in Europe in 1939. Shooting matches were a much more common and social event event then. There was no internet or even television in 1939. Shooting events were much more a part of life. The leaf sights were required is some classifications of matches, more so than today.

The double set triggers were as they are today... a little annoying for a hunting rifle, but a pleasure on a target rifle to have the ability of the fine light pull of a set trigger.

Gary

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 20 October 2012

Fantastic cast bullet project rifle!

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 20 October 2012

Ric;  That is one beautiful rifle.document.write('/images/emoticons/bowsmilie.gif');

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 21 October 2012

D*&% Jeff, you are just a tease.  I usually only look at the 'for sale' tabs in the forums, so was thinking this one was listed for sale.

Beautiful rifle.  And should be a blast to work up cast loads for.  I am jealous!  Enjoy!

Attached Files

sharps4590 posted this 25 October 2012

Hey Ric...gorgeous rifle in an interesting chambering. I see lots of drillings and combination guns for sale but not many stalking rifles. Good score! I hope to add a stalking rifle to my collection some day. Gotta get all the goodies together to work up a load for my 9.3 X 75R Nimrod first.

I doubt it was intended as a target rifle. Set triggers are common on German and Austrian hunting rifles, as has been alluded to. I for one prefer them. That isn't to say it was never used or could not have been used for match shooting. As Old Coot said they had lots of different kinds of matches back then, over there.

Nice rifle, thanks for posting pictures of it.

Vic

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 27 October 2012

I'm learning a lot about these rifles, thanks to the power of the internet. Even though there was a “Normal” chambering, nobody was required to use them. According to a long time Schutzen shooter, the hunting rifle chambers could made to shoot the ring target bullet .335” on the mouth of the case, or to shoot the .323” bullet seated in the neck. It all depended up the length of the case (46 to 52 MM) and how far up the throat the bullet and case neck sat in the chamber. Lots of fun so far.

Ric

Attached Files

sharps4590 posted this 04 December 2012

So have you put any lead down range with that gorgeous rifle?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 04 December 2012

I have been shooting it a little, but it is very cold and windy here now. Thanks to friends I have been shooting some RWS cases that are thicker in the neck and solved my brass problem. Reformed US 30/30 didn't work well at all. The Lyman 321297 has been shooting 1 1/2 inch groups for 5 shots, if I can hold that well with open sights. The set trigger system is a dream after shooting military rifles for years. Ric

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 14 December 2012

I have found the maker of the rifle, Weihrauch. They are still in business making air guns, sold in the US as Beeman. Found the action diagram in an old Shooters Bible, and tracked it down from there. Ric

Attached Files

CB posted this 10 January 2013

I also have this rifle but mine has a base for a peep sight mounted on the tang.it is equiped with base's for a removable front and rear site(barrel mounted).installed is a 4x scope in the usual claw mounts. the whole rifle look's as NEW never fired condition and I'm sure the lack of ammo is why.I agree that it is set up as a walking/hunting rifle,but with it's tang peep base and a added target style butt hook it could convert to a off hand target gun. I do not plan to keep this rifle as I lean more to win 1885's but is has been fun learning about it. AL

Attached Files

BerdanIII posted this 10 January 2013

There WILL be an article, won't there?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 11 January 2013

Hopefully there will be an article, at some point. The Schuetzen guys have 100 years of load data, so it is just getting a bullet to fit correctly, and that is the issue. A piece of cake with a “Ring” bullet, which I don't have. But looking for a normal plain base bullet for fixed ammo. But thanks to Reg, on the BB, the brass issue was solved. Finding a bullet for fixed cartridges is a little harder. Ric

Attached Files

yamoon posted this 11 September 2013

I have your rifles twin, I have killed several Ks white tail with it. I use a 185 gr gas check at about 1800. Get close, aim well, its never failed me yet. Mike

Attached Files

rjmeyer314 posted this 11 September 2013

I think this is an Aydt action. I have a Haenel Sport 22 rifle, as well as another 22, a N. Gergsmulger und Sohne, with this action.

Attached Files

docbob posted this 11 September 2013

Ric, That is one handsome rifle and in a nifty chambering as well. Congratulations on being the current caretaker of it. Thanks for sharing with us.

Doc

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 11 September 2013

After a busy match season both in Washington and Iowa, it is over for the year. Now I have more time to work on the fun guns!

Yes, it is a beauty and I am proud to be the present caretaker. Now I just need to get it to shoot as good as it looks.

Ric

Attached Files

Close