Original Civil War Era Revolvers !

• 3.3K Views
  • Last Post 30 October 2012
6pt-sika posted this 24 October 2012

Our Savage Navy Revolver .The Savage was got from Clark Brothers Gunshop Warrenton Virginia back about 189-1992 . I traded a Sako Forester that had been restocked and rebarreled by McGowan with a heavy 30-06 barrel . I later gave it to my pop for Christmas . The gun has been functional the entire time we've owned it although it needs new nipples and I've never tried to fire it !

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

This is a nice old Colt 1860 Armu 44 cal that my pop got from an old cabinetmaker in Warrenton back in the late 70's . It supposedly was carried by the grnadfather I believe of his wife during the Civil War and supposedly he rode with John S. Mosby and the 43rd Partisian Rangers . I am sorry to say we never got notorized provenace from her and she has since passed maybe 25 years ago !

This one is also functional and of course I've never attempted to fire it !

Here's a Remington Model 1858 we've had a number of years that function , but we've never fired . I'd say we've had this bad boy about 30 years !

Attached Files

Some Colt Model 1849 31 cal Pocket Models we acquired over the years !

All the ones on the left came from one individual in northern Virginia about 30 years ago .

The one on the right however came from someone else . The left one has NO MARKINGS whatsoever . My pop got it cheap when he bought it and he kinda thought it may have been a Confederate copy . Several collectors with far more knowledge then we have , had been kinda optimistic about it very possibly being a Confederate copy !

Attached Files

72coupe posted this 24 October 2012

I love that kind of old gun.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 25 October 2012

Eli Whitney was Sam Colt's partner in the War with Mexico over Texas (I think). That would make it one of the first Colts produced.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 25 October 2012

I opened the safe after dinner and was gonna get all the Martial Muskets and rifled muskets out and take pics of them . But the amount of stuff I needed to move to get to them kinda killed that idea !

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 25 October 2012

Wow that is a nice collection of fine old revolvers I really think that you need to fire one of them up. Definetly not one of the more rare or valuable but one that is in useable shape a nice soft load of black powder certaintly wouldn't hurt any thing and then of course lots of carefull cleaning and recleaning oil and more oil. I would volenteer to help with the cleaning but we are a long ways apart

Richard

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 25 October 2012

nimrod wrote: Wow that is a nice collection of fine old revolvers I really think that you need to fire one of them up. Definetly not one of the more rare or valuable but one that is in useable shape a nice soft load of black powder certaintly wouldn't hurt any thing and then of course lots of carefull cleaning and recleaning oil and more oil. I would volenteer to help with the cleaning but we are a long ways apart

Richard

I have a circa 1835-1845 A.B.Smith halfstock Pennsylvania rifle in 36 cal that I shoot some . Thats enough of the original stuff to be used !

I would however like to take pics of all out Springfield , Harpers Ferry and contract muskets , then post them . never have bothered to photograph any of them before . Well except the A.B.Smith .

Attached Files

corerf posted this 28 October 2012

Next time I fly to VA, I need to drive in and see you, and then run to W-Va to see Ed. This spring hopefully.

In Orange, there is a “gentleman” who RAN black ops in the Mid East. He is a businessman. I wont divulge where he lives in Ornage, but he is on 210 acres of land that was camped on by General Lee, with his accompanying troops. I am no Civil War historian but I intend to take a metal detector with me on the next trip and pursuade him to allow me to run the property. I've been to Va 2x now and I can't find a finer place to live. The history you have in your gun safes is awesome. And to live near or on the GW trail, etc...... just amazing.

I believe if you live in Orange, there is a strong chance you know him, or have attended a town hall meeting with him and other members of his family.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 28 October 2012

corerf wrote: Next time I fly to VA, I need to drive in and see you, and then run to W-Va to see Ed. This spring hopefully.

In Orange, there is a “gentleman” who RAN black ops in the Mid East. He is a businessman. I wont divulge where he lives in Ornage, but he is on 210 acres of land that was camped on by General Lee, with his accompanying troops. I am no Civil War historian but I intend to take a metal detector with me on the next trip and pursuade him to allow me to run the property. I've been to Va 2x now and I can't find a finer place to live. The history you have in your gun safes is awesome. And to live near or on the GW trail, etc...... just amazing.

I believe if you live in Orange, there is a strong chance you know him, or have attended a town hall meeting with him and other members of his family.

I know of two fellows here that may be your friend .

One is named Steve and still does some merc type stuff and the other is named Pete who still works for the govment in some form or another . Does your friend have either of those first names ?

As to the metal detecting I am not so sure you'll find much . The majority of the area around here has been heavily detected over the last 65 years . Even places that were supposedly off limits have been scavanged at night by some dishonest folks .

Attached Files

corerf posted this 28 October 2012

Yep, you know of him correctly. Nuff said.

I have been told that this spring (which may be as late as June) is a 3 week vacation flying into Va and then driving thru about 13 eastern seaboard/ midwest states. I shall be looking folks up then. I shall be vying for east coast coyote while I am there!

More pictures of the collection have been officially requested. As you have time.

All the best.

Mike

Attached Files

corerf wrote: Yep, you know of him correctly. Nuff said.

I have been told that this spring (which may be as late as June) is a 3 week vacation flying into Va and then driving thru about 13 eastern seaboard/ midwest states. I shall be looking folks up then. I shall be vying for east coast coyote while I am there!

More pictures of the collection have been officially requested. As you have time.

All the best.

Mike

If the Steve I mentioned is the guy , his place is where we hunted the opener for Dove this year !

I'm easy to find when you come to Orange , Most days during the week I'm at my friends gunsmith shop doing GB stuff . My gunsmith buddy lives down the road half mile toward Rapidan from Steve and on the left .

Steve usually comes in the shop once or twice each week . So all ya gotta do is ask him to bring you !

Attached Files

Here are a couple pics of our Civil War Era “signal cannon” . It used to sit in the family room in the old house but when we moved to the new house 20+ years ago it got relegated to the shop and hence it's good bit dusty . Obviousely the carriage is not original and I am sure not correct . My pop made that when he was still working for the Federal Govment !

Attached Files

corerf posted this 30 October 2012

Yep, Steve. House built in 1720!

My buddy who moved to Va makes a living building furniture from barn wood, using traditional joinery. Hes in Staunton. All hand built, except he uses a drill and not a brace to make holes and a Delta saw rather than a water driven mill. Square hand cut pegs, shellac finish, etc. He does very well with the business as long as a barn gets either torn down in a county that allows it or one falls down on its own and the owners scrap it out. That 200 year old wood makes a nice table, wormholes, termites included. Steves kitchen table is one that my buddy Brian built. Thats how I met Steve, I helped deliver a table to his home on a family vacation.

Enough about Steve. Im glad to kind of know both of you.

I like the cannon.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 30 October 2012

corerf wrote: Yep, Steve. House built in 1720!

My buddy who moved to Va makes a living building furniture from barn wood, using traditional joinery. Hes in Staunton. All hand built, except he uses a drill and not a brace to make holes and a Delta saw rather than a water driven mill. Square hand cut pegs, shellac finish, etc. He does very well with the business as long as a barn gets either torn down in a county that allows it or one falls down on its own and the owners scrap it out. That 200 year old wood makes a nice table, wormholes, termites included. Steves kitchen table is one that my buddy Brian built. Thats how I met Steve, I helped deliver a table to his home on a family vacation.

Enough about Steve. Im glad to kind of know both of you.

I like the cannon.

Get your budd in Staunton to take you by Knuckles Gunshop in Staunton , Hobie the guy that  is the Mod on Paco Kelly's website Leverguns works there !

He and I have done buisness a time or two in the past . He's a pretty decent guy and if I'm not mistaken a 20 year man in the military .

Attached Files

Close