Lyman 358477 SWC

• 4.4K Views
  • Last Post 10 April 2013
Pigslayer posted this 11 November 2012

Just picked up a Lyman single cavity 358477 SWC plain base for cheap. Wonder if anyone here has experience with it? Very old mold so I'm hoping that it drops at least +.002 over. It's actually 150gr. not 125 as the pic indicates.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Chargar posted this 11 November 2012

It is a very popular plain based bullet for the 38 Special and 357 Mag. If memory serves me well, it was a Phil Sharpe design. However, like all Lyman molds it has morphed some over time. Whoever grinds their mold cherries for them, just doesn't seem to be able to make two alike.

Attached Files

afish4570 posted this 12 November 2012

Some of the old Lyman/Ideal moulds were made in different wts. I have a mould made in the 70's that is a double cavitiy and 158 gr.  I also have an Ideal mold I could never find any reference on it was 308258 or 311258 can't remember as its buried somewhere casts a 30 cal  around 115 grs. It casts decent bullets with min. rejects and shoots well at the 38 spec. vel. I have shot it at.afish4570;}

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 November 2012

The old Ideal #358477 is about as good as it gets for plain based 38 Special bullets! The center of mass is far forward in the design; it has a large lube groove volumne for cheap homemade lubes; it has a thick enough base band for minimum gas leakage if you use a soft enough alloy.

When you are tired of it, you can send it my way. I also need another one.

Ric

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 12 November 2012

I'd like to hear more about loads for this one.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 12 November 2012

RicinYakima wrote: The old Ideal #358477 is about as good as it gets for plain based 38 Special bullets! The center of mass is far forward in the design; it has a large lube groove volumne for cheap homemade lubes; it has a thick enough base band for minimum gas leakage if you use a soft enough alloy.

When you are tired of it, you can send it my way. I also need another one.

Ric

Ric,

Think I'll hang on to it . . . sorry. There were a couple of two cavity in that configuration on ebay but the two cavity are newer and probably drop smaller bullets. I lucked out & got this one for $15.00 + $5.00 shipping.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 November 2012

Oh, that's OK. I have a Cramer of about the same design, as is RCBS's 150 grain SWC. My Cramer is about .358” when cast of WW + 2% tin and I was hopeing that an older Lyman would be closer to .361” for the 38 S&W.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 18 November 2012

Well . . . sad news. I recieved the mold but someone had altered it. Looks like they dragged emery cloth between the blocks. It dropped .356 one way & about .360 the other. Useless. The seller had it listed as Used but fully functional. Only one picture was listed of it as shown in my first post. If he had of shown a top view with the sprue cutter swung open I would have clearly seen the cavity was oval shaped. I wrote him about it and gave him “neutral” feedback & not “negative". He was irate that I didn't give him a “positive” feedback and refused to take back the merchandise or give a refund. I called ebay & they gave me a refund though. Oh well. I wrote tom@accurate molds & asked him if he could make a 358477 clone. I'll probably hear from him tomorrow.

Attached Files

badgeredd posted this 09 April 2013

Pigslayer wrote: Well . . . sad news. I recieved the mold but someone had altered it. Looks like they dragged emery cloth between the blocks. It dropped .356 one way & about .360 the other. Useless. The seller had it listed as Used but fully functional. Only one picture was listed of it as shown in my first post. If he had of shown a top view with the sprue cutter swung open I would have clearly seen the cavity was oval shaped. I wrote him about it and gave him “neutral” feedback & not “negative". He was irate that I didn't give him a “positive” feedback and refused to take back the merchandise or give a refund. I called ebay & they gave me a refund though. Oh well. I wrote tom@accurate molds & asked him if he could make a 358477 clone. I'll probably hear from him tomorrow. Pigslayer,

Did you get a copy of the 358477 from Accurate Molds?

I have a single for it in s Lyman mold as well as the 357466. Odd thing is I have never been able to get the 466 to shoot without some leading while the 477 shoots like a house afire in everything I've loaded it in. I'm seriously considering Tom for a multi-cavity to increase my production in a given time as I shoot this bullet a lot in my 38s and my 357s.

Edd

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 April 2013

hey, i will send you a $20 bill for that egg shaped single cavity ... i will bore it out to a medium 0.460 for my 45-70 ... make lemonade out of a lemon .. ie., fools rush in ... ( g ) ..

oh, fwiw, even oval bullets shoot ” good ” sometimes ... maybe they get re-shaped when fired ... yet another funny thing about casterated bullets ..

ken [email protected] pm no workee

Attached Files

badgeredd posted this 10 April 2013

It seems like your mold would respond to “beagling” well if I understand correctly which way the oval goes.

Edd

Attached Files

Close