Want a new mold Any advice

• 2.5K Views
  • Last Post 07 February 2013
Lillard posted this 12 November 2012

I want a plain base 44 mold to use in Super Blackhawk and a Marlin 1894. I have two 44 molds both are gas checks a RCBS 44 240 SWC and Lyman 429640 HP. I want a plain base for target loads and would like it to be very close to the Keith design with a square groove. I like the 250 K but the crimp groove looks to be very deep but that may be a good thing I dont know. Two or four cavity does not matter. All opinions will be appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 12 November 2012

Have you tried shooting what you have without the gas checks?

Attached Files

rwjshooter posted this 12 November 2012

Hi

I use the Lyman  429421 and I believe sevaral others also use that one

Ray

Attached Files

buffalo george posted this 12 November 2012

In my 44Mag Marlin, the SWC bullets you have  do not feed well.

The Lee 6 cavity 429 - 200 RF ,round flatnose  lubed with Liquid Alox and not sized is  a wonderful plinker.

And I can make lots of bullets

in a short time.

Casting bullets and reloading are not my goal.I love gang molds and Dillon presses.

My goal is ahooting for fun & (seldom,too seldom ) and wild boars.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 November 2012

Saeco #430 is a 260-grain flatnosed Cowboy bullet which shoots 3-inch groups at 100 yards from the Marlin with 7.2 grs. of Bullseye in .44 Mag. brass, gives 1200fps from Marlin, 1050 fps from 5-1/2” Ruger.

Use 5 grs. of Bullseye in. 44 Special brass or 4 grs. in. 44 Russian.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Lillard posted this 13 November 2012

Thanks for all the input. Turner I have not tried them without gas checks. My Marlin does not have any problems with either of the two bullets I have. Ed I will look at the saeco I would like to have a mold close to the shape of the 429640 with out the H P for hunting. I can not make up my mind I may have to get two molds because I really want a Keith type also. Thanks all

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 November 2012

Recy

I like the Keith bullet also, I will have to look and see what I have in my collection that I am not using. I got spoiled and had Veral cut me a 4 cavity 250gr. Keith mold and seldom use the Lyman anymore.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 13 November 2012

My favorite for the .44 Magnum and .44 Special is an MP mould for the H&G #503 (250 gr Keith). I have also used the Lyman 429421 with excellent results. I have taken several deer with each in my revolvers.

Some Marlins will not feed the SWC's well. If I had one of those, I would suggest the Lyman 429667 Cowboy bullet (240 gr RF). It should feed perfectly in the Marlin.

Dale53

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 13 November 2012

I like the Saeco that Ed mentioned. I also have it's little brother for the 38/357 clan. This bullet feeds well in my Puma model 92 copy. This isn't relevant to the Marlin probably but they shoot nice and cast easily. The Lyman Keith types are great in my revolvers. You should be able to bum some commercial bullets somewhere.

Attached Files

Lillard posted this 04 February 2013

Well I finally made up my mind I got a 4 cavity 429421. I have cast some with it but I have not shot any yet.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 04 February 2013

Giorgio and I have both had issues getting the Keith bullets, whether #429421, the Saeco #441 or RCBS 44-250K to feed reliably in the Marlin 1894s. THAT is why I prefer the Saeco #430 and LBT designs, which DO feed without any hickups or having to jiggle the lever to get them to go in.

If your results are different and they feed lube a well greased hemoroidal suppository, please let us know how you are loading them.. Giorgio and I would like to know.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Lillard posted this 06 February 2013

Ed I will let you know how they feed in the 1894. I have shot many RCBS 240 SWC gas check in this rifle and they feed 100% of the time. I have shot a few 429640 in it with no problems. I have not had time to shoot but just a few of the 429421 and that was in a Super Black Hawk they shot real good in it. A friend got a RCBS 250 K about 2 days after I got the 429421 we borrow molds from each oter all the time. We have already swaped some bullets out of our new molds I have not had a chance to try the 250 K but he told me today that he loaded some in 44 spl and the two bullets shot the same in the load he was using and out of the same gun.

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 06 February 2013

If it dosen't work out , look here http://noebulletmolds.com/orders/catalog/index.php?cPath=37&osCsid=l9jppork657b0ohlsj722s7ug2  With all these choices I sometimes regret selling my 44's

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 06 February 2013

I have one NOE five cavity mould for a copy of the Lyman 454424. It is beyond excellent. The first mould I got was oversize for my purposes. I contacted NOE and they shipped me a replacement IMMEDIATELY that was perfect for my purposes.

Further, NOE's copy was “correct". Unfortunately, Lyman has changed the shape significantly over the years (same mould number but different bullets.

NOE's moulds are a great price for a truly custom mould and as good a mould as you will find.

If they have a design that satisfies you, then you could hardly do better.

Dale53

Attached Files

Lillard posted this 07 February 2013

Ed the Lyman 429421 functions with no problems in the 1894 but the nose on the RCBS 250 K is a little longer and they hang up when the carrier tries to bring it up from the magizine. The 421 shoots good in the Super Black Hawk but they did not shoot as well as I had hoped in the Marlin. They were loaded with 15 gr. of Blue Dot I use that load with the RCBS 240 SWC gas check and both the Super Black Hawk and the Marlin both shoot it very well. I plan to try some lil gun with the 421 in the Marlin next. I have come to like lil gun in 44 mag.

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 07 February 2013

I just purchased a mould from Accurate (http://www.accuratemolds.com/index.php)>http://www.accuratemolds.com/index.php) for a 9mm. His site said delivery was about 3 weeks. I was going on vacation for about 14 days and thought if I ordered the mould it would arrive about the time I got back from vacation. I ordered it a week before I left and received it 6 days later.

Very quick and he has a very large selection of bullet shapes that he is willing to modify a bit. The bad news is he will not make a mould under 30 cal. and no spitzer bullets.

Attached Files

Close