A Custom Barreled Gun?

• 5.5K Views
  • Last Post 19 October 2009
cbshtr posted this 31 March 2007

I'm looking for some input from  anyone with more experience in the custom barrel field.  I have some good shooting guns but everyone knows that productions rifles can be unpredictible from one day to the next.  I haven't done much shooting the last few years due to no local range and little time to travel to the one an hour away.  I'm looking for a gun that will be a competitive cast bullet shooter as well as a gun you can take hunting.  That eliminates the heavy varmint style guns.  I have a good shooting O3A3 but it is a pain changing scopes between hunting and target.  Also, the safety is a little annoying when hunting.  I have a pre-64 Model 70 that my gunsmith said the metal is in 90% condition.  My problem with it is in .270 caliber.  Am I crazy for wanting to rebarrel a classic gun to a 30 caliber custom barrel that won't waste time and money trying to come up with consistent loads?  Or would a better solution be to buy a new factory gun that has a reputation for consistent accuracy?  The new Savage guns seem to have the edge in accuracy but I'm not familiar with them at all as far as quality and endurance.  I was looking at their 10FP which looks like it might fill the bill although a little on the heavy side for a hunting gun.  At the other end of the weight spectrum I was looking at the stainless Ruger Compacts but I kind of remember them having not that great of a trigger and I don't recall any accuracy reports.

I'm hoping this will stir a lot of conversation with a variety of input.  Money is a factor so I want to do as much research and get as much input as I can.  The Model 70 was a gift from my wife so I would be honored using that as my choice but I'm still not sure if I want to damage the value of it by rebarrelling it.  I always wanted a wildcat cartridge and this would give me that chance.  Any opinions are well appreciated and any recommendations for a new production rifle would be concidered.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 01 April 2007

My choices given your requirements for both a hunting and accurate cast bullet gun would be in the following order

1) Savage FP in .308 by far

2) CZ (or Ruger if you can find one) in 7.62x39

A far distant 3) Sticking a custom barrel on your M70.

Pat Iffland

Attached Files

PETE posted this 01 April 2007

A lot of course will depend on what type of CBA competition you plan on doing. If just the Postals, or Production Class, I'd see what the .270 would do before I'd think about spending money on something I might not need. You never know, it might be a barn burner! Altho I never shot it in competition a Rem. 700 I had in .270 would shoot sub MOA with cast bullets.

As for re-barreling the Win. there's no problem there unless you'd plan on putting a heavy barrel on that would change the stock dimensions. You can always put the old barrel back on, and if you went with a .308, which seems to be the preferred caliber these days, the bolt face shouldn't have to be changed since the parent case for both the .270 and .308 are the .30/06.

PETE

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 01 April 2007

I wonder what you're shooting for a scope on your 03-A3. I shoot a 6X Sightron on my sporterized 1903 (Military shoots) and for deer hunting I'd only need a zippier bullet with a softer lead front.

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 01 April 2007

I have never done any serious work with the 270 because the caliber has never excited me.  I have killed two deer with it and it seemed to shoot okay although the only thing I have shot in it has been factory loads.  I do have components to reload it as well as a RCBS mold and sizer for it but have yet to try them.  I think I will try some serious work with it before doing anything drastic.  I have a ton of sizing dies and bullet molds for 30 caliber which is why I was leaning in that direction.  Plus I like the extra weight of the bullets for hunting.  Worse come to worse I can save the 270 for my wife since it doesn't seem to kick too bad even with 150 grain loads.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 05 April 2007

I looked at Midway's catalog at barrel blanks and the price goes from $90 to over $300.  The barrel would have to be fitted and chambered yet.  Before I start making some serious decisions it would probably help to get an idea what a complete rebarrel job would cost assuming I would do the stock fitting and blueing.  I'm not looking for the ultimate shooter, just a good consistent shooter.  I would appreciate it if anyone could fill me in on an approximate cost plus any suggestions for what would be a good barrel choice to meet my needs.  This would be for a pre'64 Model 70 with the claw extractor.  I know what a new Savage 10 FP goes for some I'm trying to compare costs.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

CB posted this 06 April 2007

You can get a stainless Shilen match grade barrel from The Barrel Man for a little over 200 bucks or a chrome moly match for $145 but I'm not really sure what someone would charge to fit a barrel to a pre 64 M70 but I'd figure about another 200 at least. I could be way off on the fitting because I'm just guessing here. Winchesters are great hunting rifles and I like them but don't think they're the best platform for what you're looking for.

Personally in your case I stick with my earlier suggestion of going with the Savage.

Pat

Attached Files

sundog posted this 06 April 2007

Cbstr, a rifle that was a gift from my wife..., well, I think that one would stay as is. Nothing wrong with a .270. In fact, you might have fun trying to shoot cast with it. Mould selection, however, is rather limited compared to other calibers.

This could be an opportunity to expand your horizon. One factor to consider when getting a factory gun is twist, especially if you plan on it being a CB shooter. That's one reason I opted away from Savage for Rem heavy bbls - slower twist. Made the right decision - twice. Same with the .35 Whelen I built on a 700 action that started life as a facotry '06. I put a 14 twist Shilen on it and never looked back. It shoots the 358009 sub MOA at 200. If scratch is short, try hitting garage sales for something used. Find one you like cheap, and rebarrel that with a cast friendly bbl. That way you can pick the cartridge and set up the chamber and throat the way you want it.

If there's nothing really wrong with that .270, I wouldn't do anything to it other than enjoy shooting it.

To me, if you only have one or a few guns, nix the wildcats. Stay with something that is plentiful for ammo, brass, and bullet selection. That includes moulds for cast.

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 03 December 2007

Well, in order to get a new gun I ended up selling my M-1 Garand. I wasn't looking forward to selling it but I haven't shot it in the last 8 to 10 years and it was the only gun I could get enough money by selling. I ended up getting a Savage 10 Whitetail Hunter in .308. It is like the cataloged Predator with full camo and a medium weight barrel. With a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 it weighs about 8 1/2 pounds. I'm still trying to break the barrel in so I have no idea how well it shoots. Hopefully, I'll at least be able to see how it groups with jacketed bullets within the next couple of months. I'll keep you posted.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

CB posted this 04 December 2007

Sounds like you made a good decision on the gun. Once she's up and running let us know what you think.

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 25 January 2008

Going from .270 to 30-06 is a no-brainer. First off there are about a 100 different bullet 30 caliber bullet moulds out there. You could start with the little lyman #311316gc which was origionallly for the 32-20. Then you could try a saeco #315 which is a target bullet, from then on the lyman 311284 first used in the 30-40 krag,

And then on to other heavy cast bullets. So in just these few sentences we've gone from small,medium to heavy. Something there should work well for you. While prices of just about everything has gone up powder, brass,primers. The cast bullet is a thing of you're own creation. You smelted the alloy, you poured and made the bullet,you sized and gas checked the bullet and finally you loaded the bullet. Then at the range you fired a cartridge that was for all purposes your creation. if it does well so much the better. If it doesn't do so well only change one thing at a time. This was you won't end up chasing ideas like was it the lube, powder, seating depth or whatever. And lastly enjoy what you are doing.

As far as rifles are concerned I have seen folks shoot over the course high power matches with nothing fancy. One gentleman I knew shot his with a 1903A3 springfield barrelled rifle set into a battered “C” stock a lyman 48 long slide rear sight and a lyman 17Axnb sight which replaces the stock springfield front sight. Had a lotta fun shooting those matches.

Some ranges have a lever action match and a lotta shooters have fun shooting them with cast bullets.

Even my springfield is nothing to look at. Beatup bishop stock, worn bbl,lyman 57 rear sight and a lyman 17 front globe sight. So in closing, run what you brung, learn from it and soon the scores will get better, your groups will be rounder. May all your shots be a “X” Regards Frank

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 25 January 2008

You also mentioned shooting your winchester 70 and was concerned aabout changing out the bbl. Well hi-power shooters have been using that action for years. Not in the .270 but either 308 or 30-06. If you feel that you'd rather keep it in its present state ok. You can still get new old stock 03A3 bbls if you do get a four grove.

The savage 110fp I have has the plastic stock. I had to glass bed the front receiver ring to stabilize the action. Savage bbls have a reputation for accuracy. Break them in with about a 100 rds of jacketed ammunition, clean thoroughly to get out all the copper fouling and she should be good to go. Sorrry to be long winded, but tried to answer your questions as best I could. Regards Frank

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 08 February 2008

Frank, I''m new here, but have you considered reboring and refifling the existing barrel?  It usually works out to be cheaper than rebarreling.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 09 February 2008

Well at this time I'm confused about which gun I'm supposed to be rebarrelling. The one that I'm thinking about is a BSA 12/15 martini 22 target rifle. Hopefully one day it will be a 32-20 but with a fast twist bbl on it. Would like to launch outher weight bullets besides the lyman #311316 which is a 120gr flat nosed gas check design. The martini I have does not have a parker-rifled kiner in the bbl. So yes ot could be rebored or relined to get what I'm looking for. But I've been thinking on getting a used 40x heavy bbl and turn it down to try and match the width of the 12/15 action. This action is fatter than your regular .310 cadet action. Sidewalls are much thicker. Have two options for sights, could go with the parker hale 7A and a globe sight or get a target scope block drilled and tapped and use a BKL technologies base and ring setup. Was looking at the meuller 4.5x14APV scope. The eyes are not what they used to be. Curse of getting old. Regards, Frank

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 04 May 2009

Old Coot, well have been giving some very serious thought to getting the origional 12/15 barrel relined with a 1x16 twist. That's about as fast as I was led to believe was available. I have a centerfire trigger group that is a direct swap so hopefully no fooling around trying to get the firing pin where it should be. That way can keep the front sight dovetail and use either a lyman 17 or their 20 series globe sight. And take a peep insert and open it up. I have cataracts and cannot focus on things close up. And soon will have to get a new set of specs for driving. getting old stinks. Frank

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 04 May 2009

The Savage in .308 is a great choice, especially with the Accu-trigger. 1:10 twist, it will handle anything you want to load as far as bullet weight. If you want to rebarrel the pre-64 Model 70, you might consider the 30BR. Basically a shortened .308, it will still launch a 200 gn bullet @ 2000 fps. Plenty of energy for deer at reasonable ranges, and it's been a winner in CBA matches for some time.

Attached Files

Largom posted this 05 May 2009

If you are still considering rebarreling the Mod. 70, I have a pre 64 Mod.70 barrel in 30-06. VERY good condition, let me know if interested.

Larry

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 15 June 2009

Let me list the cons for rebarrelling your pre64 model 70 from 270 winchester to 30-06 springfield... 1, start out with douglas xx barrel in 30-06 can replicate origional barrel shape, but for the '06 cartridge i'd want a slightly heavier barrel 2, there are literally tons of nice clean military 30-06 brass for sale also some virgin lake city match cases. 3, most if not all bullet manufacturers sells a good selection of bullets for the 30-06 cartridge Hunting, match, and even plinking bullets, You can buy pulled military bullets from at least 4 companies that will sell them to you. Powders 4895, and 4350 I have used to make up reduced loads using 4895. 4350 is what I use for my hunting loads. And for cast bullet loads powders like 4759, 4895,5744, 2400, reloader 7, and there are others. 4, bullet molds are made by lyman,RCBS, LEE, and there are a bunch of custom mold makers out there that will just about cater to your wims in bullet molds. 5, You do not need all those hi-tech gadgets to make good 30-06 ammo 6, I shoot 54.5 grains 4350 behind a 165grain ballistic point in my sako 75 in 30-06, one inch groups are easy to get and the sako is one fine rifle. The basic reloading toold such as scales, press, dies,powder trickler, lee case trimmer, you can uniform both your primer pockets and flasholes. And thats about it.I have a dillon 55B that is currently set up to reload 45acp. When I do rifle cartridges i use a 35 year old rockchucker works as well today as when it was new. 7,Then for cast bullets there are tried and true molds like 311291,31141,311284,311299 and even 314299 all can be used for punchuing paper and in the case of the heavyweights can be used to go hunting. Besides being rather fond of the 30-06 cartridge it can be loaded down for punching paper or lowded up for critters. Probably no other cartridge can give you the versatility than the 30-06. I have 3 rifles in 30-06. sakpo 75 hunter in 30-06, M1 Garand in 30-06 and a sporterized 1903A3 in 30-06. all have given me many hours at the range doing what they were supposed to do. Sorry to be so long winded but I think you get the idea. Frank

Attached Files

corerf posted this 15 June 2009

Get a savage, in 30-06. Thats my vote. If I had the loose cash, I'd stop typing and go buy it right now. WOW shooters, great (awesome) caliber with flexibility to no end. Thats a fione combo. A model 70 rebarrel, your into the gun at least $550 ANY way you go unless you own a barrel lathe and are VERY handy with metal work. Also the barrel is probably a bit short, the savage will be 24 inch. IMHO........

Attached Files

Don Fischer posted this 19 October 2009

Wonder what he did? He could have put on a new barrel and aftermarket stock them kept the old barrel and stock to be re-installed leter if he wanted to sell it or decieded to simply use it as a pre 64.

Attached Files

Close