Another odd design from a guy with an odd imagination

• 2.7K Views
  • Last Post 09 March 2013
oldpara posted this 17 February 2013

Been a member for a while but just absorbing information from the knowlege collective here. Over the years I've cut many molds for my own amusement both conventional and whimsical. Heres my latest brain cramp. .314 dia. 195gr with lube and GC, based on 311284.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Lefty posted this 17 February 2013

oldpara Did you put the machine thread - like rings on the nose to encourage compression expansion. It certainly looks like an unusual and impressive manner of expanding. Jim

Attached Files

oldpara posted this 17 February 2013

Lefty wrote: oldpara Did you put the machine thread - like rings on the nose to encourage compression expansion. It certainly looks like an unusual and impressive manner of expanding. Jim

Actually I modeled this bullet just to see if I could cut it and if it would be a viable bullet. I had to do some manual venting to get the bullet to fill out properly. It does appear to compress as a spring would. But that's just one round into the duxseal.

Attached Files

highstandard40 posted this 17 February 2013

This design must obviously be intended for bolt actions.;)

Seriously though, it is an interesting design, how well does it group.

Attached Files

oldpara posted this 18 February 2013

highstandard40 wrote: This design must obviously be intended for bolt actions.;)

Seriously though, it is an interesting design, how well does it group.

Yes, it's an unusual design that would lend itself to primarily bolt guns. I only finished the mold last Thursday so haven't had an opprotunity to do any work with it yet. I'll see what kind of accuracy (?) I get this spring. In the mean time I have one like this on the mill now for a 45ACP. Should come out about 200gr.

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 18 February 2013

Does the front part ride on the lands? It looks like they don't to my unaided eyes, which is why I ask. Let us know how this works, we are always learning new things here.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

oldpara posted this 18 February 2013

Clod Hopper wrote: Does the front part ride on the lands? It looks like they don't to my unaided eyes, which is why I ask. Let us know how this works, we are always learning new things here.

The threaded section is the bore riding section. I cut the mold .314 body dia. and .302 dia on the threaded section. I've had to vent the mold twice to help it fill the threaded section properly. If I were to cut another one I would leave the threaded section the full 5/16-18 (.312), make a swage die and swage the threaded secton down to .302 or whatever worked best. I've done that on one of the 6.5mm and 7mm molds. Those molds are conventionally shaped and don't have the threaded section. It's an extra operation but gives me some options on bore riding dia. I will let everyone know how these shoot as time progresses this spring.

This is one I cut a number of years ago and shoots pretty well in a 35 REM and 357.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 08 March 2013

Oldpara, did you get a chance to compare the speed of the Phillips design versus a regular conical or RN?

Also I am curious about the tooling you use for the basic cutting (lathe?).

Attached Files

72coupe posted this 08 March 2013

Those are really cool. I really like the phillips design.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 09 March 2013

Wow. Looks like you're having a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to the range report with the Jap. I have a few, one's rechambered to 30-06. That screwey bullet looks like just the berries for that.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 09 March 2013

No officer, I don't have any bullets; just a whole bunch of phillips screwdriver tips.

:)

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 09 March 2013

Old Para,

Gotta say, it just doesn't look right!!

Love the phillips head. Push that against a screw at 100 000 rpm and it'll come out faster than you can say Nano...

Still, oddly wrong though that first bullet looks, results will speak volumes. I'm sure we're all really looking forward to seeing how they group. The expansion is impressive.

Looking again at the design, with the C of G back aft it would tend to mimic those hollow point match bullets, being inherently stable.

Thanks for sharing the photos of what are the most unusual bullets I've ever seen! Great to see fine art and castbullets nexus like that!

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 09 March 2013

That design HAS to affect drag on that bullet! Are you going to try them at distances beyond 50 yards? What is your alloy for these screwey bullets?

Attached Files

Close