"Old School Boltguns"

• 30K Views
  • Last Post 06 November 2015
Ed Harris posted this 15 August 2013

UPDATED 21 Sept. 2013

Dennis Carlini, Dick Nearing and I have been fooling with some old .30-'06 sporters with cast bullets and have been having great fun!

Dennis is shooting a ca.1929 NRA Sporter.

I've been shooting a Winchester Model 54 made in 1934 and a German-built Euro sporter by Ernst Appel of Wurzburg.

Dick Nearing has been shooting a National Match 03.

Our goal has been to attain 2 inches or less at 100 yards, firing hunting type rifles with loads assembled for the goal of maximum economy and fun. We are using wheelweight alloy, casting bullets in bulk from gang molds, sticking to non-gaschecked loads at suitable velocities from 1000-1300 fps or so.

Early work was mostly with my NEI #69, 160 grains when cast of wheelweights, with charges from 6 to 9 grains of Bullseye.

Two “sweet” spots were observed. The first is in the subsonic range at 6 grains of Bullseye. Groups with heavier charges from 6.5 to 7.5 are entirely acceptable, but less consistent, I believe because bullets are subjected to transonic buffeting as they go subsonic before 100 yards. The second sweet spot appears at 7.8 grains where group averages tighten again to under 2” and they remain so up to the threshold of leading, which is about 9 grains of Bullseye in a smooth barrel, without a GC, approaching 1400 fps.

We have since gone over to similar bullets cast from new Heavy Metal .312-160-5 molds from the latest group buy. These seem to perform exactly like the old Walt Melander Scapoose, OR mold from the mid-1980s.

So we have met our project objective, achieving an average of 2” or less for five consecutive 5 shot groups, in a series of 25 consecutive rounds, discarding no data, at 100 yards.

With the best loads an average of 2 inches for a series of five ten-shot groups is attainable using a hunting scope of less than 6X, with our best “tweaked” loads.

Experimentation continues, but if anybody else has stepped into this pool, please share what has worked for you and in what rifle!

"Cheating,” firing my Mauser '06 sporter with 4x32mm Zeiss Diatal C scope, using bottom post of duplex reticle as aiming point, best series to date, five consecutive 5-shot group at 100 yds. averaged 1.56” with NEI #69, as cast, unsized, tumbled in LLA with 8.4 grs. Bullseye, for 1328 fps.

I later repeated testing this same charge using bullets cast from my new Heavy Metal .312-160-5 mold, firing 10-shot groups and got an average of 2.1” so I am happy.

Our advice is NOT to work up loads over the chronograph without actually shooting groups on paper. Just “watching the numbers” is a distraction from the real goal, which is ACCURACY!

When doing initial load workup, shooting only TEN SHOT groups is a great time saver, because doing so separates the “grand” from the ordinary very quickly. There are no “lucky” ten shot groups. If you get a round group with a dense center, THAT shows promise and is worth trying again.

--------------------DEFINING THE THREAD----------------

My own thought is that classic American “Old School” boltguns ended with the demise of the pre-64 Winchester Model 70. While there were earlier plunger ejector rifles, after the mid-1960s these became the dominant type and most hunting boltguns were no longer “Controlled Round” feed, in which the cartridge is guided under the extractor hook as it is stripped from the magazine. But if somebody has a “push-feeder” made before 1964, such as a Remington 720, 721, 725, feel free to join in the discussion.

Because this is not a formal competition class, but just a discussion topic, sporterized militaries are great, as long they are based on the classic Mauser, Springfield, Krag, etc. boltguns.

This thread is strictly nonofficial so we shall be tolerant of all nationalities and denominations as long as it is a boltgun in a “deer” caliber.

What have you got? What bullets and loads do you use, and what results have you gotten. Inquiring minds want to know.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 15 August 2013

sounds like fun .... some of my shooter buddies y i recently started plinking with old 30-06 sporters .... we have 3 guys with remmy 721, and i have a win 54, with a lyman peep although my eyes do better with the B&L Balvar.

a neat thing is that a couple of the guys are youngsters .... and they appreciate that these oldies still shoot very well .

ken

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 15 August 2013

Timely post ED:

I have had an old sporterized Springfield “03” for nearly 40 yrs. When I found it back then, some one had polished, blued and restocked it with a fairly heavy target style piece of maple. It still had the original bolt but there was a Redfield Olympic receiver sight on the rear and a covered ramp post on the front. And the knob on the rear of the striker had been taken off. All was nicely done. The bore looked like new.

It appeared to me that some one had set the rifle up for NRA high powered at one time. The old girl shot very well with jacketed reloads at the time. So I had a new bolt handle welded on, mounted a scope and restocked it again. After accounting for a couple of SD antelope, it has been idle since then.

Last summer, I loaded a few Lyman 314299's just for the fun of it and the results looked promising. So, as of a couple of weeks ago, the rifle is in pieces and laying beside a new unfinished and semi-inletted thumbhole stock. If all goes according to plan, there will be another “03” on the military line in the mod. scope class next season.

RD

Attached Files

Little Debbie posted this 15 August 2013

Great subject. I've been shooting my 2nd generation M54 '06 for years with THE LOAD and a gas checked 308334 and averaging under 2 inches at a 100 yards. Mine has a Lyman apeture too and is my favorite bolt action rifle.

I'm interested in the velocity with Bullseye, I am assuming no fillers or other special techniques. I wish I had a .30 caliber non gas check mold.

Please keep us updated.

Matt

PS Ed what is the weight/shape of the NEI #63?

Attached Files

A gaschecked design can be used successfully without the gascheck in suitable loads, as long as the base band is of sufficient diameter to seal the throat.

We load the Bullseye straight up, standard primers and flash holes, no filler. Minimum charge to reliably exit barrel with lubricated cast bullet for “cat sneeze” load is 4 grains, about 700 fps. 7 grains is subsonic 1050 fps, the 8.4 grains I use is on the top end of plainbase, about 1300 fps.

More data here: http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

I mistyped the mold ID on the original post and have now corrected it. The bullet is NEI#69, weighs 160 grains in wheelweights, vs. 145 in linotype.

If interested, a current group buy going on over at Cast Boolits is for my design, being based on the original I had cut for nose pour back in Ruger days, but in a gang mold. See the larger sketch below.

More info at this link. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?206520-HM%B2-30-31-cal-160gr-6-CAV-Ed-Harris-Design

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 15 August 2013

Great idea for a new thread, Ed.

About ten years ago I bought a Newton #752 with I thought had a worn out barrel. Then I found out it was a Pope land designed without corners. The rifle had been restocked into a 1903 Springfield sporting blank but without being drilled for a scope or the bolt handle turned down. It still has the original Lyman 48 and no rear leaf  barrel sight.

The top group on the target below was shot with Lyman 311440 and 10 grains of Unique, as I was looking for a “rat load". That same day I have some left over rounds from the Military Nationals and tried them out. That is a nice 10 shot group thanks to the double set trigger. I wish the CBA had an old sporter with iron sight class for postals.

Ric

Attached Files

I would like to see a trial postal match in which entries would be permitted using original factory sporters, equipped with iron sights only, which otherwise meet the rules of the military modified iron sight class, not to shoot for awards against those using sporterized militaries, but for “high classic sporter” recognition in their own experimental category on the same course of fire, coinciding with the “military modified” iron sight category in the postals.

I would like to see it limited to “pre-1964 Classic Sporters” to permit standard Winchester Model 70s and such, but to eliminate Remington 788s, later Savages and others which rightfully belong in the production category.

Discussion?

If there is interest we could take it to the board and ask. It would be little more work for the postal match director, just more paid entries!

Attached Files

LBD posted this 15 August 2013

Heavy Metals 311-160-5 is supposed to be for the '06 with its .2+ inches of freebore?

What is the best design for an '06 if really outstanding accuracy is desired without a gascheck?

Have you seen my target shot with the Modern Bond 190 bullet in post #25 in this thread?:

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=9648&forumid=57&page=2.

The only problem with the MB-190 is, it doesn't have a meplat for varminting but I'm starting to think I'm barking up the wrong tree with this design:

http://accuratemolds.com/bulletdetail.php?bullet=31-185K-D.png

The bullet is seated to cover the 3 lower lube grooves. The top groove is there to break up the .2” long bearing surface... a debris groove, if you will.

I haven't ordered the mold yet... please provide input before I blow my dough.

LBD

Attached Files

This Heavy Metals bullet is my original design for the 7.62x39 which dates from 1985. It has proven (in the original NEI Melander molds) to shoot accurately in a variety of rifles and calibers.

Friends of mine and I have been using our old Melander molds for 25 years, and they are getting “tired,” so I sought new replacements to my original drawings, not tweaked the way the mold maker wanted to do it to make it look more like Ball ammo for marketing purposes, or a roundnose because people don't understand flat noses and won't buy them, so you have to have a round nose so they will look like “real bullets” and such nonsense.

Heavy Metal is also making a direct copy of the Lee C312-15-2R for those who want the spitzer shape for feeding in ARs. I don't do black rifles and want a flat nose to keep the CG closer to CP and to keep bullet length under 0.9 for low velocity stability in slower twist barrels. The 1/2 caliber meplat is enough to enhance small game performance, but no so large as to impair feeding when fired in the Garand in full loads.

Because current NEI quality isn't what it was when Walt was alive I worked with the Heavy Metal people to tweak the design to get back to my original prints, rather than copying the Lee design which had several changes to suit their manufacturing practice and for marketing.

A SAAMI .30-'06 sporting chamber does not, nor do pre-WW2 Springfield '03s have any freebore. Some factory sporters such as Remington do, because they use the same chamber in their sporting boltguns as in the pumps and autoloaders, which were freebored for the same reasons the Garand was.

Wartime 03A3 barrels have the same chamber as the M1 Garand, which DOES have a freebore to prevent any bullet interference with the origin of the rifling.

The NEI version of this bullet shoots well in either type of '06 chamber, as well as in Finnish 7.62x54Rs, Yugo and Russian SKS, and tight-bore .303s which can use a .312 bullet with GC crimped on in a .313-.314 die.

The intent of this design is recreational shooting in a variety of calibers and production rifles, not benchrest competition, although some people have used it successfully for that.

This bullet loaded without the GC with 8.4 grains of Bullseye has shot more accurately for me in .30-'06 sporting boltguns than any non-gascheck plainbased design I have tried. You don't need a plainbased bullet, but a GC bullet used without a GC must have a large enough base band to seal the throat, or it won't shoot for beans, most of the RCBS .30 cal. GC designs being prime examples.

For the group buy Heavy Metal says he can can custom cut larger diameters up to .318 with this tool for those who want to use it in the .303 British. The forepart will be correspondingly larger in diameter also.

Attached Files

Ed Harris wrote:A SAAMI .30-'06 sporting chamber does not, nor do pre-WW2 Springfield '03s have any freebore. Some factory sporters such as Remington do, because they use the same chamber in their sporting boltguns as in the pumps and autoloaders, which were freebored for the same reasons the Garand was. Well I guess we need to address a definition of terms before I can proceed.  What do you call the .22” long section of the chamber depicted below that tapers from .3106” to the commencement of the rifling?  I used to just call it the throat or leade until some old bench rest crank told me “freebore” can be either cone shaped or cylindrical... as long as it doesn't contain rifling.

LBD

Attached Files

Ed Harris wrote: You don't need a plainbased bullet, but a GC bullet used without a GC must have a large enough base band to seal the throat, or it won't shoot for beans, most of the RCBS .30 cal. GC designs being prime examples. I assume by “large enough", you're referring to diameter?... like .311-.312” for the '06?

Is there a minimum (or perhaps optimum) trailing band length?

Regarding 311-160-5:

What do you suppose the accuracy potential would be (from a pre-64 M70) if launched at 1300-1400 fps w/o a gascheck, using an appropriate alloy and lube, and a “shotgun” powder somewhat slower than Bullseye?

Can the punch on a #312 Lyman 450 die be modified so the bullet's gas check shank be inserted into it (i.e., a .284” diameter cup is cut into the top of the punch) thus preventing the shank from being lubed?  I'm not a machinist and unfortunately do not own a precision engine lathe.

LBD

Attached Files

I would shoot a “Classic Sporter” Iron sight match!

Pre-1964 manufactured barrel and action, any iron sight, shoulder to shoulder match, not postal match, Military Rifle Iron Sight rules. That would keep it in the right spirit, I think.

Ric

Attached Files

LBD wrote: Ed Harris wrote:A SAAMI .30-'06 sporting chamber does not, nor do pre-WW2 Springfield '03s have any freebore. Some factory sporters such as Remington do, because they use the same chamber in their sporting boltguns as in the pumps and autoloaders, which were freebored for the same reasons the Garand was. Well I guess we need to address a definition of terms before I can proceed.  What do you call the .22” long section of the chamber depicted below that tapers from .3106” to the commencement of the rifling?  I used to just call it the throat or leade until some old bench rest crank told me “freebore” can be either cone shaped or cylindrical... as long as it doesn't contain rifling.

LBD

That is not how the Mil-Std. for dimensioning small arms chambers describes it. A free-bore is a smooth cylindrical section. A conical transition of the ball seat at the origin of rifling is the forcing cone.

SAAMI and ANSI use similar terminology.

Attached Files

RicinYakima wrote: I would shoot a “Classic Sporter” Iron sight match!

Pre-1964 manufactured barrel and action, any iron sight, shoulder to shoulder match, not postal match, Military Rifle Iron Sight rules. That would keep it in the right spirit, I think.

Ric Is the level of detail contained in my 2 posts above inappropriate for this thread?

LBD

Attached Files

Ed Harris wrote:

"That is not how the Mil-Std. for dimensioning small arms chambers describes it. A free-bore is a smooth cylindrical section. A conical transition of the ball seat at the origin of rifling is the forcing cone."

Ed,

That's what I always thought too.  Then again, I always thought that the term “forcing cone” was reserved for revolvers.

OK, so my posts above should have “forcing cone” substituted for “freebore".

Is there a distinction between “ball seat", “leade", “throat” and “forcing cone” when these terms are applied to rifle chambers?  Please provide a link to the proper documentation if this level of detail is not appropriate for this thread.

LBD

Attached Files

LBD wrote:

Is there a minimum (or perhaps optimum) trailing band length?

Regarding 311-160-5:

What do you suppose the accuracy potential would be (from a pre-64 M70) if launched at 1300-1400 fps w/o a gascheck, using an appropriate alloy and lube, and a “shotgun” powder somewhat slower than Bullseye?

Can the punch on a #312 Lyman 450 die be modified so the bullet's gas check shank be inserted into it (i.e., a .284” diameter cup is cut into the top of the punch) thus preventing the shank from being lubed? 

I never worried about lube on the GC heel and don't wipe it off. The extra lube in the base helps. I do seat so that the heel is contained in the case neck.

A trailing bandof width 0.2 times bullet diameter is adequate if it fits. I shoot most of my non-GC bullets as-cast and unsized at. 312". Doing so I have found 1.5” or so average at 100 yards with a hunting scope attainable and if a load doesnt do 2 moa or better I know I can do better. I don't think the old classic rifles will do m.o.a. without glass bedding or other modern tweaks which I feel are out of character. I consider 4-5” ten-shot group at 200 yards fine shootingvwith these rifles, essentially tbe V ring on the old Army “A” target in use when these rifles were made.

Attached Files

LBD wrote:

That's what I always thought too.  Then again, I always thought that the term “forcing cone” was reserved for revolvers.

OK, so my posts above should have “forcing cone” substituted for “freebore".

Is there a distinction between “leade", “throat” and “forcing cone” when the terms are applied to rifle chambers

Same thing.

Attached Files

Thanks for the info Ed...

I guess I'm not in the correct arena here... I'm looking for varmint-level accuracy from an “old school” 30-'06 bolt gun topped with a 2x8 Leupold.

LBD

P.S. What's the definition of a ball seat?

Attached Files

Ball seat is the region ahead of the case mouth before the forcing cone starts. This may be a short cylindrical section, or simply that portion of the forcing cone which is larger than barrel groove diameter, before the rifling starts.

Attached Files

LBD wrote: Thanks for the info Ed...

I guess I'm not in the correct arena here... I'm looking for varmint-level accuracy from an “old school” 30-'06 bolt gun topped with a 2x8 Leupold.

LBD

P.S. What's the definition of a ball seat?

One can always believe in miracles. You will get occasional sub- minute groups as part of the normal long run variation, but to average that over a series of 25 or more consecutive rounds, without excluding any data, I believe is unrealistic. But keep trying!

Attached Files

LBD,

Not a bit!

This same discussion comes up every three or four years when new folks come onto this board. Ed has convinced me to use SAMMI terms, so everyone can visualize what we are talking about.

Ric

Attached Files

Show More Posts

Our 6421 members have posted 91541 times in 6249 discussions

Latest Members:
Members Currently Online:

No one online at the moment

About Us

The Cast Bullet Association is an organization of shooters who enjoy shooting cast lead bullets in rifles and handguns for competition, hunting, or informal target shooting. The Association's central purpose is to help shooters enjoy casting bullets

NetBuilderPro by Morganids IDS Inc. • All Right Reserved © Cast Bullet Association 2016-2024;  Legal Disclaimer