Muzzleloader Ball Starters

• 3.8K Views
  • Last Post 16 January 2014
CB posted this 21 August 2013

Some you guys been talking muzzleloader shooting on the forum this summer got me all enthused about making some tools. I fired up my metal lathe and turned down some bronze rod to correct diameter. Got out my box of old antlers and whittled on them. Was a lot a fun and sure needed em......Dan

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
curator posted this 21 August 2013

Dan,

Very nice! I too make my own ball starters since the ones you can buy are poor at best. All of my round ball rifles require a relatively tight ball/patch combination with minimal patch lube to give their best accuracy. A correctly made ball starter will allow you to use a heavy rubber mallet to get the ball started into the rifling without distorting the ball's shape. Making the “ball-set” or short nub is the difficult part since the curve on its face needs to exactly match the ball's curvature, and be just long enough to position the ball flush with the muzzle end of the barrel so your patch knife will cut the smallest patch without scraping the ball. Good loading tools go a long way to match-winning accuracy.

Attached Files

CB posted this 22 August 2013

Thanks for the tips curator. I knew about tight patches and lubed-dry patches. Never thought about exact ball to seater fit. I used a round mill end reamer so it should be pretty close. Maybe a final lap would bring it in perfect. Ya, I trim patch as close to ball as possible.....Dan

Attached Files

curator posted this 22 August 2013

To “lap” the ball-set part for my .50 caliber starters, I cover a .490 round ball with #320 emery cloth and chuck the brass starter rod in m electric drill. A few minutes of polishing and the face matches the ball's curve perfectly. Getting the “height” correct is a cut and fit proposal and takes a bit more time.

Check out the loading tools the chunk gun guys use. They are often loading grove diameter round balls with thick patching material. Their loading tools allow them to apply a lot of force (heavy Loading mallets) without deforming the ball.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 22 August 2013

Dan Willems wrote: Some you guys been talking muzzleloader shooting on the forum this summer got me all enthused about making some tools. I fired up my metal lathe and turned down some bronze rod to correct diameter. Got out my box of old antlers and whittled on them. Was a lot a fun and sure needed em......Dan

Dan, Those are really nice! Do you sell them?

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

CB posted this 23 August 2013

Hi Pat. I'm not in the business, but I'd make you one as long as yer not one of them idiots that voted for Obama ;) . PM sent...Dan

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 23 August 2013

Dan Willems wrote: Hi Pat. I'm not in the business, but I'd make you one as long as yer not one of them idiots that voted for Obama ;) . PM sent...Dan

Oh no! I'm strictly republican!

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

admiral posted this 24 August 2013

those are very nice, much nicer than mine. i make my own on the lathe too but i use very non tradional nylon round stock. I use 1.5” diameter for my .69 and .72 and turn down half of a 10” long piece to .675” and leave the other half full diameter. The full diameter side can be the “hammer” end and the close to barrel diameter shaft gives tremendous leverage making tight patch/ball combination a snap to start. What i like about the nylon is there is no way it will damage the bore or crown.

Attached Files

CB posted this 24 August 2013

I was thinking about trying Derlin rod for a hammer in ball starter, but nylon would probably be better. Admiral, you got a picture of yours?...

Attached Files

admiral posted this 25 August 2013

Dan Willems, i could send you a cell phone picture

Attached Files

CB posted this 25 August 2013

admiral wrote: Dan Willems, i could send you a cell phone picture

PM sent...

Attached Files

sart256 posted this 16 January 2014

Dan, I'm interested in one of your ball starters but, the picture doesn't show in the forum. I'm still working out what is best in my 50 cal. CVA Plainsman, patched ball or Lee REAL, Pyrodex or black powder. Steve Ocala, FL

Attached Files

Close