How to find a military "match" rifle

• 3.6K Views
  • Last Post 25 January 2014
gunauthor posted this 29 September 2013

I have two Mosin-Nagant 91/30 rifles (one is an ex-dragoon and one is a round receiver WW2 vintage), and a model 38 Swedish Mauser. I would like to shoot some of the postal matches, but not sure how to determine which will be my military match rifle. I want to shoot using whichever rifle as is, so it's my 60 year old eyes versus original sights. Without going through the whole process of testing cast load after load, only to find it won't hit the side of a barn at 50 feet, what do I do to find a decent shooter? Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 29 September 2013

I have no help for the Swede. With the Mosin's, take a full pressure fired case and measure the inside of the neck. Size your bullets to that size, the heaviest bullets are best. Load 15.0 grains of A2400 with a LR primer, seat as long as possible. Which ever shoots the best 25 shot group is the one I would work with. HTH  Ric

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 29 September 2013

I'd look through the military results and postal results on the home page and see what other guys are using as far as a load. Personally I'd use the Swede but only because I have a fondness for them.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 September 2013

ilove the m38 swedes ... i have had three of them ... but in stock configuration, none of them were accurate enough to win the military bench matches. also, i could not really see the issue iron sights well ... so i would mount a scope and shoot in that class with a swede...

but in scope class, now you need more accuracy ... in the match results, springfields, mosins, and swiss k31 dominate ... so as per advice above, i would play with your mosins and pick out a lucky one.

fwiw, i think the accuracy of the swedes is partly due to rough chamber jobs ... mine at least all had very nice barrels but rough chambers. they were a ball to shoot cast at bean cans at 50 yards ... i still have two new unfired barrels, and my borescope shows rough chambers.

since i have new barrels but no m38 ...if you wind up not using your m38, wanna trade me for a swiss schmidt-rubin k31 ? i miss my swedes. ken

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 29 September 2013

On the 7.62x54R the Finnish chambers and barrels tend to be better than the Russian ones. Any Finnish Moisin will shoot. My most accurate ones are a Sako M28/30 Civil Guards rifle and a later Tikka M39. The M28/30 likes bullets at .311", the M39 at .314

The 16 grain #2400 load is a good choice if you don't want to spend alot of time experimenting. Also good is either 6.0 as a start load without GC or 7.8 to 8.4 grains of Bullseye on the high end. Above 8 grains of Bullseye the GC helps over long strings of fire, but 7.8 and below you don't need it.

I prefer the old nose-pour NEI #69, or the new HM2-312-160-5 cast of wheelweights.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

linoww posted this 29 September 2013

the NEI #72(or Lee Harris Bullet) and 16g of 2400 shoots well in excellent barrel condition 91-30 rifles.Not as well as the Finn's but under 2 MOA.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

gunauthor posted this 30 September 2013

Ken,

Please contact at [email protected] about swapping rifles, it sounds interesting.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 30 September 2013

My M39 is sub-moa for ten-shot groups at 200 yds. with Sierra .311” diameter 174-grain MK in neck-turned Norma brass with 46 grs. of 4064 and Federal 210M primer, so know the rifle will shoot and trying to get this result with cast! Have been able to do moa for 10x5 rds., but not 5x10 rds. Still tinkering!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 05 October 2013

I can't speak on the Swede but My Russian Mosin's trigger is pretty rough for a target rifle. The one on my M39 is better but has a “mystery” quality to it. Not unsafe but the let off is not predictable. I may try a new cocking piece someday. The WW2 MN probably has a better barrel and there are tips on line as to make the triggers better.

Dave

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 06 October 2013

Springfields are pretty easy to work with and brass is everywhere.

Attached Files

NuJudge posted this 12 October 2013

If you are going to use the factory iron sights, you will need to be able to see the sights a lot better. Lyman makes a suction cupped aperture you can put on your glasses which will help a lot with seeing the front sight.

There's no choice but to try cast bullet loads in the rifles you have now, to see if they will shoot with cast bullets. I shoot cast bullets more in the Swiss K31 now , than in any other. Many rifles will shoot respectable scores, but some will not. I suggest you go over to the Cast Boolits website, where in the portion dedicated to cast bullets in military rifles they have a classic article by C.E. Harris about cast loads for old full power military cartridges.

Attached Files

2coldhere posted this 25 January 2014

Try this load in your Swede.  It works in my M96 very well. SAECO #264 (140 gr. GC) 20 gr 4227, 2.900 COL.  WLR primer. The brass I use is fireformed 7MM Mauser.  I'll be using it in the Issue postal this summer and at some shoulder matches too.

Attached Files

Close