Another one

• Last Post 14 February 2018
Urny posted this 09 February 2018

Good morning. 

I joined a bit ago and received my first Fouling Shot yesterday.  There is no question but that it is worth the price of admission and then some.

Been casting since the mid seventies, and was a member back in that time but let my membership lapse for many years, and just figured it was time to come back.

Most of my casting equipment and moulds are in the Missouri Ozark's while I am still stuck here in NE Nevada for a few months longer.  My old B&M 312114 single cavity is still here, so I will try to shoot at least one of the postal matches from here.

You guys kept the fire burning for an awfully long time.  I wonder where bullet casting would be without you lot.  Thanks.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
John Alexander posted this 10 February 2018

Welcome back to the CBA Urny.  That was a long absence, glad to have you back. We will look forward to your posts.

John

Attached Files

Urny posted this 10 February 2018

Thank you kindly.  My natural inclination is to sit quietly in the background, but I think I will try to be at least a semi-active participant.  It feels comfortable to be back.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 10 February 2018

You will not see a lot of names from the 70s.  Not too many survive in forty years.  But lots of new ones with interesting ideas and a friendly bunch.

John

Attached Files

obssd1958 posted this 13 February 2018

Hi Urny!

Glad to see 'ya here! If you need any cast boolits to load up for the matches here, just let me know what you need.

I'm also up for splitting the cost of the targets for the Groundhog or Bunny matches.

Don

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 13 February 2018

Don

We will supply 2 practice and one record target for the Groundhog shoot unless you want to buy a whole pack for practice.

Jim

Attached Files

Urny posted this 13 February 2018

Howdy Don.  You do turn up at the most wondrous places.

I ordered a pack of 50 Bunny targets from our old buds at Midway, so we could split those.  I could bring them to Caldwell if they show up in time.  A duffer like me might need some of those practice Groundhog targets too, but Mr. Scearcy mentions sending three of them when we sign up (?) for that shoot. We might truly need a few more than three to make it through to the record target.

If you have any plain base bullets suitable for my old .30-30 Savage 340 some of those would be nice.  Think that several hundred of those B&M bullets are in a box in Missouri, but will do me little good here in the west.  The Savage weighs in at 7.55 pounds on my scale so will have to lose a bit to qualify for 7.5 pound limit.  There is plenty of wood and steel to ravage with rasp and drill.  Maybe I can find one of those old N mounts for a 3/4" scope to pull that down some.

I know some of those names from days that are gone will be missed.

Urny

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 14 February 2018

urny ... 7.5 lb limit ?  ... not in the groundhog shoot  ...   '" if you bring it.... you can shoot it ... ""

pretty near

ken

Attached Files

obssd1958 posted this 14 February 2018

Urny,

The model 340 that I got from you, weighs in at 6 lbs 14 ounces. I weighed two of my 325s, and they both came in at 6 lbs 8 ounces with empty magazines. What do you have on your 340 that is bumping the weight up?

Anyway, on to the moulds - I have for your pleasure...

SAECO #630 casts at .3095 140gr. RN FP plain base

Three Hoch nose pour moulds, 165gr, 190gr, and 210gr. All plain base, but I've never cast with them, so I don't know what they will drop at.

And if you want to go lighter, I have Ideal 308241 125gr, RN or Lyman 311410 130gr BB SP

I'll cast some samples up in the next couple of days, and get back to you with the results. Do you know how large a casting will chamber in your rifle?

Don

Attached Files

Urny posted this 14 February 2018

Ken - I thought to have read that there is a 7.5# limit for the bunny shoot, so it made sense to work toward that for both matches.  Limits on equipment still in Nevada mean that it all needs to work together.

Don - The scope and mount weigh 11.85 ounces, thus the 7.55# total.  My postal scale is providing the weights and has never been checked for accuracy, but it is what I have to rely on. The scope and mount could be dispensed with and the iron sights could be used in their place.  That would simplify logistics by avoiding those nasty holes in the target.

My old Belding and Mull mould casts about 115 grains, alloy dependent, and I will get busy with it next week and make some up.  They will be sized .311", which has worked just fine in the past. Do you think a heavier bullet would be of any benefit for 50 yard shooting?  The county range where I shoot most often has berms providing some wind protection so that is not much of a problem.  So, I guess, any of the 140 grain and lighter ones should work fine.  I'll see about bringing some of the B&M cast to Caldwell too.

Urny

Attached Files

Close