bored

• Last Post 01 February 2019
loophole posted this 24 January 2019

This is the longest period of sustained cold, damp weather I can remember in these mountains.  Have not been able to get out to shoot and my old arthritic fingers just don't work even if I wear my artic parka in  my unheated shop.  I have done so much reloading lately that I need a break from that.

So out of  of curiosity and boredom, I pose this entirely-unrelated-to-cast-bullets question..  In my younger days I had more than one tack driving 22-250, and for a few years I went out west to shoot prairie dogs every spring. One winter I got serious with the Dillon and loaded 600-800 22-250 rounds with ballistic tip and psp bullets, which would hold 1/2 to 3/4 groups out of a good rifle.  I didn't get to go west that spring, and got interested in other shooting projects, sold the 22-250's and put back the loaded ammo.  I was scrounging through reloading stuff yesterday and found a box with those loaded rounds in it.  Stored dry without excessive heat, brass still clean and the only sign of age is a little oxidation on the exposed lead point on the psp bullets.  I no longer have any interest in jacketed bullets, I don't want another varmint rifle, and I no longer know anybody who would use this ammo.  I'm not looking to sell the stuff.  Anyone have any ideas about what to do with it?    

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 February 2019

there is some hope ... a neighbor kid stopped by and spent his christmas money on one of my " real rifles" ... m721 in 30-06 ...  i was tickled, especially that he didn't really want one of the new walmart specials, with plastic stock and 16 inch pencil barrel, along with having to return those to the mfg. a couple times before they actually work right. ( or never ) .

i sent along a box of cast reloads and told him to stop by when it gets warmer and we will supertune the rifle, refinish that walnut stock, and show him how to cast and reload ...  kinda hurt tho when he mentioned he didn't need a scope with it, his eyes are just fine ... heh ...  i got a micro-trac 2-7 saved back for him tho just in case ...

good kid, nice to see there are still a few out there ...  i might mention that here in backwards iowa, my neighbor youth have bartered me out of a couple m94, and a nice m74 winchester 22 .  grins for them and me ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Johnshandloads
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 February 2019

test ... i copied ed's deer, rotated in gimp,  and am temporarily reposting it here ... will terminate after a few days if i remember.

i think the reason it rotates is because smart phones imbed info that allows the cell phone to be held any which way and the pic rotates for you.  that info follows into our forum and confuses it.  edit::  probably sideways is the cell default and our form ignores the embed.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 01 February 2019

Ed, Me too! Every picture I take on my iPhone, even if I turn it on the computer, turns right when posted on the internet. Never happens with pictures taken with my camera. ????

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 01 February 2019

I have identified a few good and old friends in gun-friendly states who have kids that like to hunt and shoot. 

I have already gifted my BP muzzleloaders which have gone to a new home in Missouri.

Having no kids of my own I will look for other opportunities to do this

Maybe somebody can explain why a picture which displays upright on my PC gets flipped when I upload it here?

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 01 February 2019

Gary and Roger and all the rest of us who have more reloading equipment and guns than we need.. The age old problem, we can't take it with us. Somewhere out there someone is lamenting the fact that they have to leave behind their mansion or fancy sports car. My son has been gone fifteen years now but my daughter is as much of a gun nut as me. Problem is I'm not sure she has the room for my truck load of equipment. So I have instructed her to sell the items here and at Boolits to those that can use and enjoy some very nice things at a bargain price Gp

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 01 February 2019

I'm in the same boat. While still a young 66 I can nonetheless see the finish line way up ahead. I have no wife, children, nor anybody else in my family to receive my stuff "some day". (I'm the weird gun nut uncle to most of them.) Nearly 40 rifles, pistols, and shotguns, enough components to keep them all going for decades, and handloading gear that would take a fair sized truck to haul will all languish if I don't figure something out.

Neighbor's kids? Who, the people who ratted me out for shooting a groundhog in the backyard a few years ago? Or the neighbors who won't countenance my shooting the local coyote(s) who are eating everybody's lap dogs and cats? (Yeah, even in the wilds of suburban Maryland.)

Buddies and their kids? My buddies are as well healed gun-wise as I am, and their kids are all into the "run and gun black-ops stuff" anyhow.

Donate to the local club? Not on your life, for reasons best left unaired on a public forum.

I pray my Maker gives me sufficient head's up so I have time to sell/give away my stuff to the remote guys who've been my friends both in real life and on the internet. If not, I guess I won't care because I'll be dead!

Attached Files

daboone posted this 01 February 2019

Got the Herters Model 5 fulcrum's wire strung this morning and it meets all of George Herters bombastic sales hype! 

Took several attempts to get the .006 in SS wire stretched without snapping the wire. Then I broke it once more setting the zero by adjusting the 2 nuts on the end of the beam. After that using RCBS scale weights in increments of 5 grains to 200 grains it was spot on. That lever on the pointer end is use to settle the swing of the beam down, right now. Very clever IMO. The oil damping reservoir isn't necessary as it is for my dad's old Redding.

This was a fun restoration. I know this photo can't express how much I enjoyed doing this project. No it won't replace M5 or the Gen6 but it will be used till I learn its idiosyncrasies.  It certainly will get admired, by me, for a very long time.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 01 February 2019

BigMan54, I feel for you, but don't know what to say other I'm sorry.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 01 February 2019

I don't have any one to leave my stuff to. My Son is gone, My Daughter screwed herself out of ever owning a gun by getting an RX for "Pot" to handle her migraines. My sister's son is Lost In Space. 

My Wife's nieces & nephew's are such boneheads I wouldn't trust most of them with a rubber spatula. 

My Friends who are still living don't have kids. Guess they'll all go to some pawn shop for 10 cents on the dollar.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 26 January 2019

Brodie

I agree and am doing what you are with youngsters. For all of us, we sure have lots of good memories of the many years we have enjoyed our various venues in the shooting sports. One hobby that does not diminish as we get older, but have more time to enjoy being retired. You all have a good shooting season.

Bob

Iowa

Attached Files

max503 posted this 26 January 2019

I was wondering if my trigger finger can hold out long enough to shoot up all the primers and various forms of lead I have.

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 25 January 2019

Just this afternoon I was in my reloading romm and prayed out loud, " Dear Lord let me live long enough to wear out all my s**t." .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Brodie posted this 25 January 2019

I think that I have solved the "what to do with my guns before I die?" problem.  I have friends and neighbors who have sons and daughters who shoot and hunt.  I plan to give them to these people before I croak and after I can't hunt and shoot anymore sparing what my own two boys want of course.

I am currently teaching my neighbors teen age son how to reload and cast bullets.  He's a young guy who has been kept short on pocket change and long on hugs and good parenting.  Go out and find those youngsters who are interested.  Don't just sit in your chair and bemoan the fact that all you see on the range are sprayers and not shooters.  If you have extra loading equipment (and darn few of us don't) donate it to these youngsters (after proper training and instruction of course.).  See to it that they use it properly.  Ok it will cut into your personal loading and casting time, but so what if you are in your 70's like me you probably have more time than you know what to do with.  Use that time and all those years of knowledge and practice to help keep our sport alive.  If you don't the only instruction they will get is from the TV and Movies, and we all know just how good that is.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 25 January 2019

Just stating the facts John

In the words of SGT. Joe Friday "just the facts Ma'm, Just the facts" 

And...….,If you don't know who Joe Friday was, you were born too late. 

R. 

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 25 January 2019

Geeze Guys, cheer up. We have all stumbled on a fascinating hobby to amuse ourselves as well as probably the only active sport that you can compete, and maybe win in, until you topple over.

It's true that not many of the younger generation, even if interested in shooting, don't want to cast bullets but then many of us didn't get into it till we were 50 or thereabouts.  

True that most  young shooters are interested in spraying instead of shooting although we see a lot bolt action hunting rifles at the range a lot of them attached to people who know how to use them.

All or most of those camoed AR, AK, and high capacity pistol shooters who I think are going through a Walter Mitty stage and will eventually grow out of it, see some virtue in deliberate fire, and may even get into CB shooting.  They will be able to get off their Mitty fantasies by using a bug on the windshield as an aiming point as I do while playing hell with Rommel's tanks and other targets of opportunity.

In the meantime let's be thankful that we have more people shooting. They are helping us keep the shooting ranges open.

I think our fears may be a bit exaggerated since the CBA now has more members than in 2000. We also have quite a number of members working hard to put on matches for our entertainment (some are posting to this thread) as well as others keeping the store open.

Why not pitch in by helping somebody get started shooting cast bullets or write an article for the Fouling Shot to help keep our members satisfied they are getting their money's worth for contributing to the kitty.

John

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 25 January 2019

I have a Remington 700 308 Winchester, Work done by Williams Precision, Douglas premium  heavy profile barrel Jewel match trigger, Kelby scope rings and mount, Leupold 24X scope, Bedded in a synthetic stock. Groups less than1/2 inch  @ 100 yards with match ammo. The rifle is an absolute pleasure to shoot. Tin cans at 200 yards are not even a challenge.

I tried to sell it for over a year. The price was down to less than half what I have in it. Still no takers, everyone wants a black rifle (or two or three). My son has no interest, has 223's that chew up ammo fast and take ten rounds to hit a can at 50 yards. Lots of noise, brass and bullets flying everywhere. 

We are the dinosaurs get over it. Shoot what you own, have fun and let the probate court work it out.

Steve

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • M3 Mitch
David Reiss posted this 25 January 2019

Hey I just turned 60 and have two adult sons, so I will take about any guns, ammo, casting or reloading stuff. As I have more time to spend on this hobby, I am looking to expand my inventory and so are my two sons. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 25 January 2019

BTW, a friend and I are  now thinking about going out to the Dakotas again for PDs because of all

the 222Rem, 223, 22 hornet, and 22LR HVHPs left over from last trip out there in 2010.

Shoot it up and then sell the rifles. -----Except for that Marlin-Sako 322 built on the Sako L46 action

and the Rem 513 SA sporter 22 with the T-10 on it.

"For in the U-Haul behind the Hearse...….."

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 25 January 2019

Hey guys, I'm only 72. I'll take your stuff.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
beltfed posted this 25 January 2019

Indeed, like Joe B,  you can disassemble the ammo and sell the bullets and brass. 

But I would buy a RCBS or similar collet type bullet puller for your loading press rather than

use the hammer type puller.  Much faster and less nerve wracking

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close