Browning 40-65 Breach Seated Bullet

• Last Post 24 December 2018
  • Topic Is Solved
bucksnort925 posted this 17 December 2018

Thinking of starting to breach seat Browning 1885 HW 40-65. Rifle is stock, no barrel changes. What is a good bullet to use. About 400 gr. 20-1

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
bucksnort925 posted this 24 December 2018

Thanks for the help. As I said, I'm new to breach seating and I always thought I needed a tapered bullet for the BRNG. Looks like I'm going to have to start  first with a breach seater and go from there. I may have to contact some mould makers and get some ideas from them. I hate to buy another mould if I don't have to. Right now I only have 2 Lyman moulds. One is the snover and the other is the pointed one. The snover shoots well fixd loading but would like to see if I can do better. Hope it's not a lost cause but you don't know till you try.

Attached Files

2coldhere posted this 24 December 2018

I only know how my rifles work.  Of the four rifles I breach seat (.25-20 Win, .38-55 Win, .40-65 Win, & .45-90 Win) the one with a tapered bullet and lead is the least accurate (.25-20 Win)  All the others will outshoot it.  Bullets are cast from 50/50 WW/Pb.  The way I found this out is that I ordered the breach seater first and just decided to try my SAECO #740 to see what happens.  They fit just fine and shoot great (sub inch at 100 yds. with gust in to the sub half inch)  When I had the .25-20 barrel put on my CPA 44-1/2 I went with conventional wisdom and it didn't work at all.  Thought I was going to shoot .250" groups, but the decimal point got in the wrong place.

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 24 December 2018

bucksnort: 

Realize that the Brg 40-65 has a freebore of about 0.180 with the leade,

So  that much of the bullet from the base can be in a full diameter say 0.410"

when it is breechseated. so you don't have to have a radically tapered bullet

to seat it  out

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

bucksnort925 posted this 24 December 2018

I thought a tapered bullet was needed and I don't think the Saeco 740 is a good choice.

Attached Files

2coldhere posted this 17 December 2018

I've used the SAECO #740 with good results.  When I had the seater made, it didn't fit in the action.  Had to do some re-machining.  Apparently the Browning action is different than original Winchesters.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • bucksnort925
Close