Bunny Shoot Spring 2019

• 2.1K Views
  • Last Post 19 April 2019
Scearcy posted this 27 March 2019

Ken and i are trying a new target this spring. The CBA Bunny Gun postal match is no longer being held so that gave us an opportunity for more variety. Plus the bunny target is more difficult than the groundhog so it is probably more appropriate for 50 yards.

Distance - minimum of 50 yards

Bullet - plain base, no 22LR

Field positions, no bench rest, no attached bipod at 50 yards

Any rifle or handgun, ML included

Any sight (iron or a scope)

We will post again with more details but the process will be very similar to what we have been doing.

I outlined two common paper sizes on the target below. This is because we plan to transmit the target digitally to shooters outside of the lower 48 and printer capability could be important.

65 degrees here today. I am thinking about 50 yard loads.

Jim and Ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Redleged
  • Fitzpatrick
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tlkeizer posted this 19 April 2019

Greetings,

Fired at the first bunny, then realized I was using gas checked bullets and Jim had listed plain base on one of the first posts, so I will need to re-fire using bare bottom bullets.  Be that as it may be, here are the results and data.  1X10, 6X7, 2X5, 1X0, total of 62.  Rifle is my Savage 99E, .308 Winchester, 170 Lee mold, range scrap with added tin and antimony, 19 grains of Accurate 5744.  I did manage to clip one whisker for the zero, and was happy it was not that far out as I pulled my 6th shot and expected it to be quite a bit further out.  Temperature was mid 40's, slightly overcast, variable swirling winds 2-4 mph.  Position is sitting, unsupported rifle.

First Bunny

Next set will be without gas checks, but thought somebody might be interested in this.

TK

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Redleged
GWarden posted this 17 April 2019

Max

GC bullet without the GC on it works, just need to keep the velocity down.

bob

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 17 April 2019

FWIW I think the rabbit is a tougher target at 50 yards than the groundhog is at 100 yds. If you miss your aiming point by a couple of inches you are usually out of the money. With iron sights it is difficult to settle on a good point of aim.

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 17 April 2019

hah ... i knew these bunnies wouldn't be as easy as you might think ... after all we are using special NATIVE AMERICAN bunnies :

" hoppi bunnies " 

Attached Files

barra posted this 17 April 2019

2" higher and you would’ve had 76 or thereabouts. big_grin

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 17 April 2019

Hi all!

Beautiful day in Memphis, if not a little windy. Got out to shoot the first two bunny targets. One with a Ruger BH, the other with a Rossi M92, both in .45 Colt. Shooting a little bunny at 50 yds with a pistol is not easy! The first set of 10 just nicked the top of the target with 2 holes, so I shot it again with a different load, same gun, same position. The second target was a little better, but hard to draw a good bead on the little bunny with irons, even a tang sight. Oh well...I guess I'll keep my day job. Ed

Growing old is mandatory, growing up, however, is totally optional!

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 16 April 2019

I am still mailing an envelope of targets every few days. Right now it looks like the over/under for number of scores expected is about 90!!! That is absolutely astounding. We will test Ken's administrative skills when they come in. Actually our 1st 3 scores are in from Australia. They were damn good for being shot upside down.

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
harleyrock posted this 10 April 2019

Dang,

Another shoot to do.  Now which gun! guns.....

As always Jim I'm in. And thank you for all the fun!

Have Hip replacement on the 10th of April so should be healed up to shoot by June.

I'll be looking for the final data so I can send in my target fees.

Jon

You should be shooting before June!

I have had 2 hips replaced and if your experience is any thing like mine you will be shooting those targets by the 20th of April.  Knees are another matter.  I have had one replaced and 3 years later it still hurts.  It has not limited my mobility, but it hurts to some degree most of the time.

Lifetime NRA since 1956, NRA Benefactor, USN Member, CBA Member

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 08 April 2019

Progress Report

I have now sent out 54 bunny targets. Including Ken and I there are 7 more shooters who are going to supply their own targets.

I think we will easily have 75 - 80 targets out or committed. Even if we don't get them all in, it is going to be a great turnout.

Thank you to everyone who is participating.

If you are still on the fence, there is some time yet as the targets are due June 1. We will eventually cut off the new entrants but likely not for two weeks yet.

Jim

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 07 April 2019

Just trying to compensate as I may have to stand on my head to shoot as the targets may appear upside down.

Just turn the rifle over and you'll be fine. 

Attached Files

barra posted this 07 April 2019

O.k.  Jim Email sent.

I used to shoot a lots of rabbits out of the window of the Ute spotlighting at night.

That must count as a bonified field position then  Hey!

Just trying to compensate as I may have to stand on my head to shoot as the targets may appear upside down.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 07 April 2019

The next thing will be a Wallaby hunt. I wonder if there are targets?

J

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 April 2019

... global rabbit, heh ?? ... would this be like     nation-HOPPING     ?? 

Attached Files

barra

Yes we are already doing that elsewhere. It allows us to go global.smile

Send me an email at:

[email protected]

Include your address too, please.

Jim

Attached Files

Max503

Absolutely they work.

Jim

Attached Files

barra posted this 07 April 2019

Can I get this target digitally and print it on a A4 sheet?

take a photo and send it in.

I’m up for  having a go at it..

I think the shoot be over by the time I would get the target.

bruce from Oz

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 April 2019

i haven't shot a gas check on a cast bullet since about 1995 ... at least for my load testing for plinking ...  ( 2.5 moa is fine ) i haven't missed them  AT UNDER ~1300 fps, and my scrap alloys of probably 14 bhn and above .

remember 22rf is soft lead with kinda a gas check base and it works fine at 1300 fps.

but if i was trying to beat my buddies with teensy cast groups where 0.1 moa counts i would use gc on everything.   and anything much over 1300 fps without checks is " problematic " .

ken

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 07 April 2019

Went to the range again this morning.  That pesky varmint sure is an ugly target in overcast conditions over SMLE sights. 

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

max503 posted this 07 April 2019

Plain base?  Will a GC bullet work without the gas check?  I don't have any plain base molds in 22 or 30 caliber.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 05 April 2019

Bunny hunting is a thick cover endeavor here abouts. Prone or even sitting shots would be highly unlikely. While I am not going to join the off hand shooters I decided to try a pair of 6' cross sticks. The rifle gives the sticks scale. The materials cost me $6. Now I had better practice and learn how to use them or there will be no rabbits in the bag.

Jim

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close