Case Lube

• Last Post 09 July 2020
beagle6 posted this 27 April 2020

Does anyone but me use STP Oil Treatment for a case lube? Over the years I've used Lanolin, Sizing Die Wax and they both work well. For really heavy duty jobs I like STP better. Empty the container into your engines and the residue in the bottle will last you a long time in your reloading. Good stuff.

beagle6

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
beagle6 posted this 28 April 2020

Ross

I just use my fingers, but like cbshtr said, a little goes a long way. Just a tiny dab on your index finger will do several cases.

beagle6

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Maven
  • Bud Hyett
John Alexander posted this 28 April 2020

I load with Lee Collet dies and haven't had to put any case lube on or the bother of taking it off for years.  The collet die also extends case life to well over 100 before the first neck split with no annealing.  Gave my annealing set up away.

They also give you the option of changing the amount you reduce the neck to better accommodate cast bullets sized to different diameters or bullets of a different hardness that require more or less neck sizing. The last advantage is that they cost a fraction of neck bushing dies that have some of the same advantages.

Although bear grease seems to work about as well, I do have a tin of Imperial wax in case I need to form cases or full length size, but seldom do either although I shoot a lot.

The exceptions when you need other dies are for calibers where collet dies aren't available or when using factory level loads in springy actions that stretch the cases.

John 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
  • GP Idaho
Ed Harris posted this 25 May 2020

Also keeps you regular!  But locals here prefer their Everclear straight up and neat!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • Bill2728
porthos posted this 07 July 2020

i belive that most reloaders that use imperial sizing die wax for the first time will never go back to what  they had been using.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • GP Idaho
Bud Hyett posted this 27 April 2020

Like your approach, I use Groom and Clean hair stuff; water soluble, works well and is cheap.

For serious case reforming to different caliber, I use Imperial Sizing Wax, 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Maven
delmarskid posted this 28 April 2020

I use Wynn's Motor Honey. My bottle is half gone in the course of 30 years. I apply it by putting my brass in an old gallon flour container from the kitchen counter. I cut strips of bath towel into 2" squares and saturate them with lube, dump in brass till it's half full and shake the beejeeberz out of it. Once the cloth is soaked good I only drizzle a half teaspoon or so on it when needed. Go slow with the soaking. It's easy to get too much on.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
BigMan54 posted this 28 April 2020

GEEZ !

I'm still using the same bottle of RCBS Case Lube and pad that I bought to replace what was lost in a move. 

In 1982.

You guys are as bad as My Dad.  When I was a Kid growing up, He'd try anything and everything as a case lube. Bacon fat, Crisco, bear grease, even Naval jelly. If it was greasy and disgusting?  We'd try it.

Of course I do use Hornady One-Shot for bulk loading, as it comes off in the loading process.  If you use it according to the directions it does work great.

And like just about every one else, I have a tin of Imperial Sizing Wax on my bench too.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
David Reiss posted this 24 May 2020

For me I have always used Imperial Die Wax, but over the past several years I have been moving closer to using the Lee collet dies, buying a few at a time. I think I am up to about 20 right now. I think I am on my second Imperial tin in close to 45 years. Never really used anything else because so little goes a long way. But I too have many Redding neck bushing dies and seldom have to full length resize, just for auto loaders and some ammo that me shot in multiple rifles of the same caliber and hunting ammo. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
358156hp posted this 25 May 2020

I'm a Luddite. I make my own lanolin & high octane isopropyl alcohol case lube too, but I'm still trying to use up the remainder of 4 lbs of lanolin I bought in a group buy on the old "Shooters.com" site a couple of lifes time ago. I think I'm down to a little over a pound now. I originally bought it to make Felix lube but I've been powdercoating for the last few years.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
cbshtr posted this 27 April 2020

I use the Dollar General equivalent. But like the STP, use sparingly. A little goes a long way.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 28 April 2020

How do you apply? Fingers? Lube pad?

Attached Files

Gregor posted this 28 April 2020

Dean Grennell  recommended STP in his various editions of "The ABC's of RELOADING".  Good to have alternate substances to use when loading, usually run out when it is inconvenient to purchase/source another.

Attached Files

Wheel Weights posted this 29 April 2020

What he said except I also use Redding neck bushing dies.

When sizing is required the Hornady aerosol one shot is all you need w/o the sticky gooey mess of that other stuff.

For really HD stuff like case forming the Sinclair lube in the tiny tin is the best.

Attached Files

dale2242 posted this 03 May 2020

I use STP, Motor Honey, or the like mixed 50/50 with light oil for my case lube.

I use an inside neck lube brush and a lube pad.

I wipe the sized cases down with a cloth and toss them in a vibratory tumbler with walnut shells and tumble until the remaining lube is gone..

Attached Files

4and1 posted this 03 May 2020

Another vote for RCBS case lube. Water soluble, wipes off cases with a paper towel. I use it to size cast bullets too, roll on a lube pad, size, and cleans right off with warm water and soap. Ready for powder coat.

Attached Files

beagle6 posted this 03 May 2020

BigMan54

I think your dad and I would have gotten along well.

beagle6

Attached Files

max503 posted this 24 May 2020

I'm going to watch the garbage cans at the auto parts stores for "empty" STP bottles.wink

Attached Files

Bill2728 posted this 25 May 2020

Everclear and liquid lanolin. Case lube and hand sanitizer 

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 26 May 2020

I'm a devout do it your self man,  but I have been using the water based RCBS case lube for years. There is no mess, no fuss and cleans easily with water. I also use it as a lube when I'm sizing my powder coated cast bullets Very inexpensive. Speaking of Lee collet dies, if they haven't made a improvement, after many many cases the part that comes down and squeezes the collet around the case neck and mandrel will start to stick down. When it does, and you lower the case down in the press you will stretch the case neck and shoulder out and the case will resemble a coke bottle. I have some dies that have lots of use and I've had to polish the top of the collet to stop this from happening, and the polishing is short lived. I'm talking about collet dies that have seen LOTS of use.

Mashburn.

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 07 July 2020

I have had very good luck using the lanolin/heet mix for both case prep and cast bullets. also use a home made semi hard bullet lube where I like to fill in the lube grooves completely. I repurpose a cleaned, empty deodorant container with a screw advancement. I liquify my bullet lube and pour it into the deodorant container. when cooled and set, I can use as much lube as needed and easily advance the "stick" for additional lube. best regards, john

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close